New rider - Trails??

Bikeworks

Welcome!!! Recently came over from the road as well. Six Mile and Allaire are both great for hardtails. Trails are well-maintained and not overly technical.

Always group rides popping up. We just had a massive turnout at Chimney rock last weekend (70 riders).

Edit- join JORBA https://jorba.org/

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome, my name is Iggy. I'm into fast bikes and fast women.

Our next group ride in November is not suitable for a new rider, but we'll have a beginner friendly ride in December at Hartshorne.

Ride trails a lot to get the feelz.

trener1

You can also check out Lewis Morris, I think that would be just fine on a HT. Are you running Tubeless?

Bikeworks

Yes I’m running a tubeless. I have a trek Roscoe 8. Figure I give it a try with a hard tail to see if I enjoy trail riding before going with full suspension.
This is the same progression I made. I actually tried a few years ago, and it didn't take. This was mainly due to my not taking the time to understand the discipline (roadie bias) and not doing my research. You're doing it right in asking about trails to start on. I'd recommend watching a YouTube series as well. For now, stick with one so as to remain consistent about how and what you are learning. I found the Joy Of Bike series to be excellent for me. Others are the Ride Series from Rich Drew or How To Bike by Ben Cathro/Pinkbike. All are excellent

zmartene

Worth a watch if you're new to the discipline:

Welcome!!! Recently came over from the road as well. Six Mile and Allaire are both great for hardtails. Trails are well-maintained and not overly technical.

Always group rides popping up. We just had a massive turnout at Chimney rock last weekend (70 riders).

Edit- join JORBA https://jorba.org/
Thank you for the advice on six mile. I just ran that trail today. Loved it. A lot of riders with the majority on full suspension bikes. Does full suspension really make a difference for a new rider? I have a trek hardtail with tubeless tires. I took a few falls on some turns with wet leaves, but loved every second of it.

Bikeworks

Thank you for the advice on six mile. I just ran that trail today. Loved it. A lot of riders with the majority on full suspension bikes. Does full suspension really make a difference for a new rider? I have a trek hardtail with tubeless tires. I took a few falls on some turns with wet leaves, but loved every second of it.
No, I don't. I feel that a HT provides a newer rider with a stable platform that allows for basic skill development. I'm not saying you wouldn't get that on a FS, but the HT reminds you when you do something incorrectly. The biggest thing riding a HT first taught me was how important line choice is.

Everyone falls. It's falling less, and not falling when you would have previously that are key. The main word I've learned to embrace in this sport is 'progression.' 😎

TomS887

No, I don't. I feel that a HT provides a newer rider with a stable platform that allows for basic skill development. I'm not saying you wouldn't get that on a FS, but the HT reminds you when you do something incorrectly. The biggest thing riding a HT first taught me was how important line choice is.

Everyone falls. It's falling less, and not falling when you would have previously that are key. The main word I've learned to embrace in this sport is 'progression.' 😎
A lot of trails in New Jersey are kinda janky and it helps to have a full squish bike so you can just plow over rocks and roots, but not necessary. Starting on HT is what I did, plenty of capability at a much better price until you know you’re into it.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hard tail is the place to start and you can ride everything in NJ with a hardtail except maybe creek. Some places will surely be more fun with full suspension but don't worry about that for a while the hardtail will handle what your doing with it and then some

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Welcome. Hardtail will definitely force one to become a better trail rider. Requires much more interaction than a full suspension for sure.

iman29

Welcome!

I am mostly a roadie (yeah and somehow they let me on this forum) and about 2 years ago I got a Salsa Timberjack HT after riding a crappy old 26" bike for a long time . The TJ is basically the same setup as your Roscoe running 27.5" midfat tires. Im not running tubeless (yet) and I ride flat pedals.

The bike is the perfect platform for new riding as someone also mentioned, and also good advice is to check your tire pressures depending where youre riding. Too firm and you will be bouncing all over the place even on the smallest rocks or roots.

As an advanced beginner, i've done some big group rides with these folks, and also some other rides and I can feel the progression each time. Don't worry about how soon you will get to the next FS bike. Spend some time riding this one for a while and get some of the basics down. Falling is part of the progression so don't sweat it. I have no issues walking across things I feel are beyond my skill level. There's some great groups on here dedicated to beginners and all skill levels.

Stephen's state park does have a nice variety of trails, so does Kittatiny in addition to Lewis Morris and of course Six Mile.

Good luck and welcome!

Would Allaire trails be good for a newbie with a hardtail tubeless trek Roscoe bike? I’ve rode six mile 3 times already and loved it. Looking to maybe try a different trail take advantage of this wonderful weekend weather.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Would Allaire trails be good for a newbie with a hardtail tubeless trek Roscoe bike? I’ve rode six mile 3 times already and loved it. Looking to maybe try a different trail take advantage of this wonderful weekend weather.

Absolutely yes!

it does get crowded - and the trail system is a bit confusing (lots of trail crossings,) but going and getting lost is part of the fun.

Enjoy, welcome to a great sport, and finding us!

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Allaire will pretty much be more of the same
Try Lewis Morris or even Chimney Rock!

trener1

What Patrick said.
Allaire is great for a HT, it's like a spider web of trails there which can be hard to learn, my suggestion would be instead of trying to ride a pre determined route, just get out and ride and explore. once you have had enough pull out trail forks and find your way back to the lot.

Top Bottom