Parking elsewhere when riding Ramapo

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We've always just accepted the Bergen County ban to be the truth. Legally, does a county ban apply to State Parks?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
doesn't look like it. The grey is Bergen and the colored is Passaic. Weird, but it's on the other side of the dashed line. Maybe because it's State Park?
check out those grey squares though, they designate those houses as Bergen but not the rest of the park. The parking lot and Blue trail are all within the green though.
http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/gis/maps/passaic.pdf

q9Me0ZB.png

If you got your map from some official thing, it's probably more accurate than Google. Although I maybe not because Google should be getting its data from official sources.

gtluke

The Moped
If you got your map from some official thing, it's probably more accurate than Google. Although I maybe not because Google should be getting its data from official sources.
That's from the state of NJ
check this out, who knew there were new maps of Ramapo?
Blue trail and parking lot are on State land, so no Passaic rules.
But we need to follow the signs, the question is are there signs on the Blue Trail? I'll take a look this week.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/RamapoAreaMapFinalDraft_reduced.pdf
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/NYNJTC_NJParkMaps-RamapoMtn_2015-85x11.pdf

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Blue trail and parking lot are on State land, so no Passaic rules.

Should have said "no Bergen rules"

How do you know county rules don't apply on state land? Source?

On 2nd look, the green dotted line on your map and Google outline of Bergen County look more or less the same.

I'm pretty sure the signs indicate "hiking" with the little picture of the hiker. I don't think there is a no biking picture.

gtluke

The Moped
Should have said "no Bergen rules"

How do you know county rules don't apply on state land? Source?

On 2nd look, the green dotted line on your map and Google outline of Bergen County look more or less the same.

I'm pretty sure the signs indicate "hiking" with the little picture of the hiker. I don't think there is a no biking picture.

Oops yeah.
I'm going with that Ringwood State Park is half in Bergen and we can ride there.
The parts we can't ride are outside the state park and in "Ramapo Mountain Preserve" Which is different than Ramapo State Park.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oops yeah.
I'm going with that Ringwood State Park is half in Bergen and we can ride there.
The parts we can't ride are outside the state park and in "Ramapo Mountain Preserve" Which is different than Ramapo State Park.

I don't know about this. It has always been questionable to me. If you head up North from TOS, you get to the point where the Red and Yellow split. On the Yellow where that split is, there used to be a sign that said No Bikes which looked somewhat official, I believed it to be a Bergen County sign. I believe that section of Yellow is Ramapo State Forest land and continues on to Ringwood State Park land.

I always suspected this is one of the reasons why the Red was a priority to make ridable, so that there would be an alternative to the "hiking only" (not so sure anymore) Yellow trail. The Red trail a bit North of that split used to be hike-a-bike, so everyone used to ride into Ringwood using the Yellow trail.

gtluke

The Moped
I don't know about this. It has always been questionable to me. If you head up North from TOS, you get to the point where the Red and Yellow split. On the Yellow where that split is, there used to be a sign that said No Bikes which looked somewhat official, I believed it to be a Bergen County sign. I believe that section of Yellow is Ramapo State Forest land and continues on to Ringwood State Park land.

I always suspected this is ones of the reasons why the Red was a priority to make ridable, so that there would be an alternative to the "hiking only" (not so sure anymore) Yellow trail. The Red trail a bit North of that split used to be hike-a-bike.

yeah man, that's when you leave the state land
yn8ZyHa.png

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yeah man, that's when you leave the state land
yn8ZyHa.png

You sure? The part I'm talking about is South-West of Cannonball lake, which looks pretty close to state land. It's too close for me to commit one way or the other.

Screen-Shot-2017-09-19-at-10.03.50-AM.jpg

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Got your pm Luke and thanks everyone for bringing this to light. Im on the road all week with minimal bandwidth, but I'll contact the right folks at the state to pass along their designation of the trails you are discussing.

sundaydoug

There's also a small parking area at the end of Wolfe Dr. in Wanaque, there's a trailhead for the blue trail right there. There's very rarely anyone parked there. It's in a neighborhood and the houses around are dog-friendly. When I lived in Wanaque I used to ride up the hill and into the park via that trailhead all the time.

I also used to ride in via Back Beach Park, which is a pretty big climb out of the gate, but a killer downhill to finish out the ride.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
First off, don't pull out too much hair trying to figure out by town or county lines which trails are what. The state, town of Oakland and Bergen county split the pie up differently. Yes, it is crazy that some trails pass through different management areas. Those trails are usually hiking only at this time. To my knowledge the lot at the bottom of Skyline is open to anyone and is state managed. However, because it is so heavily used for hikers during peak times, we do not recommend it for bike access. Plus the trail is not that great going up. Jorba does not maintain that trail. The NYNJTC does.

As for trail designations, we have been told all trails in Ramapo Mountain State Forest are multi-use, but this issue is still disputed with some members of the NYNJTC. Some day this issue could be pushed to Trenton for a decision. Not really looking for that to happen today. Since it is hard to enforce trail designations, these issues usually result in a closure rather than split use trails. So far, things have been going well working with NYNJTC in Sterling. Hoping good volunteer turnout will open their eyes to more inclusive trail uses in RMSF as well.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG

I always suspected this is one of the reasons why the Red was a priority to make ridable, so that there would be an alternative to the "hiking only" (not so sure anymore) Yellow trail. The Red trail a bit North of that split used to be hike-a-bike, so everyone used to ride into Ringwood using the Yellow trail.

Yes, Yellow passes into County jurisdiction for a short stretch so it is still hiking only. Red stays on State land and is multi-use.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
You sure? The part I'm talking about is South-West of Cannonball lake, which looks pretty close to state land. It's too close for me to commit one way or the other.

View attachment 57476
That looks to be where red peels off of yellow. That is still on state land, but Yellow becomes hiking only because it crosses County land up the trail. The signs were most likely put up by hikers. IMO these all should be multi-use, but not my call. I don't hike that much, so not sure if they are new signs or old ones.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions