Pequannock Watershed Map

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Do you still have to physically go to the office on Echo Lake Rd to pick one up? I've never bought the permit, but I've been spending a lot of time in the Newark Watershed this past year so I planned on picking one up for 2016 just in case, eventhough I've never seen anyone but ATV riders on the trails there.

I have the NYNJTC maps, both hard copy, and the PDF version on my phone. They are very nice!

Kaleidopete

Do you still have to physically go to the office on Echo Lake Rd to pick one up? I've never bought the permit, but I've been spending a lot of time in the Newark Watershed this past year so I planned on picking one up for 2016 just in case, eventhough I've never seen anyone but ATV riders on the trails there.

I have the NYNJTC maps, both hard copy, and the PDF version on my phone. They are very nice!

Yes you have to go to the office. Mon-Fri.
Trail Conf did this new map for them too. It repeats some stuff though.
I think they catch / ticket you more from parking your vehicle without the sticker on it.
They do that a lot!

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes you have to go to the office. Mon-Fri.
Trail Conf did this new map for them too. It repeats some stuff though.
I think they catch / ticket you more from parking your vehicle without the sticker on it.
They do that a lot!

So I've heard. I always ride in from elsewhere, but it would be nice to be able to park on Stephens Rd or at hank's pond sometimes.

huffster

Thanks guys. I think I can handle that. I've wandered over their in the past from Wawayanda and have meant to explore further, but just never have.

Anybody know if you can climb the fire tower?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You need a permit to hike somewhere? Really?

Yes, because it is 35,000 acres of private land owned by the city of Newark.

http://newarkwatershed.com/index_a.html

I've never been asked by anyone to see a permit. I've never even seen anyone hiking anywhere in the watershed. I hear you can get ticketed if you park at one of the lots, but I've only ever ridden in. As previously mentioned though, I only ever see a handful of ATV's when I'm out there.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I so much want to ignore this.......but in an effort to avoid trouble for us......lots of people hike there and many of them nynjtc members, which is the only recognized trail user and have designated all the marked trails "hiking only".....several of the woods roads within, like Ludd Day (Paradise) may be defendable as public thoroughfare. ....the big picture.....locals have a different perspective....northern towns claim Newark gets off easy on taxes....wm is getting creative by trying to impose fees on improvements like dams...some would prefer development to increase tax revenue and economic growth.... yet this is a very special region, wilderness comparable to the Adirondacks, and it surrounds the drinking water supply.... pressure is constantly growing....some want to abolish the Highlands act which limits real estate value....read about the nwcdc scandal.....can Newark remain solvent without selling it...will the land transfer to the state someday or will it become Macmansions.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't think you guys know how good we have it.

I've been to a bunch of biking spots outside of NJ that require $$/permits. And some are just as annoying, like going to some weird bike shop open 9-5, closed on Sundays when you want to ride, etc.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I so much want to ignore this.......but in an effort to avoid trouble for us......lots of people hike there and many of them nynjtc members, which is the only recognized trail user and have designated all the marked trails "hiking only".....several of the woods roads within, like Ludd Day (Paradise) may be defendable as public thoroughfare. ....the big picture.....locals have a different perspective....northern towns claim Newark gets off easy on taxes....wm is getting creative by trying to impose fees on improvements like dams...some would prefer development to increase tax revenue and economic growth.... yet this is a very special region, wilderness comparable to the Adirondacks, and it surrounds the drinking water supply.... pressure is constantly growing....some want to abolish the Highlands act which limits real estate value....read about the nwcdc scandal.....can Newark remain solvent without selling it...will the land transfer to the state someday or will it become Macmansions.

Norm, I wasn't trying to suggest that nobody hikes in there, just that I've never seen anyone. It would be such a travesty if they sold large portions of the land for development. I love that I can spend all day in there and generally not see anyone at all. I also am a nynjtc member and have bought all of their maps. I saw the news about the scandal a few months ago when I was looking into acquiring a hiking pass. Crazy stuff but not surprising.

The way I see it, there are many dirt roads and woods roads in the watershed that are accessible to cars. In order to drive on those roads, you need a permit which I plan to pick up soon. If it's ok to drive a car on those roads, I should be able to ride my bike on those roads.

I'm cool with any of my posts being deleted if you think they cast me/us in a negative light though.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
@JimN .......I agree with you and I think at this point information is better than censorship. We were in the process of negotiating limited legal access, but bad timing with the scandal ruined it. I think it now almost entirely hinges on support from the TC.

Kaleidopete

I get my permit every year because I too like hiking these trails.
I have ridden my bike on Paradise road and even seen a pickup truck on this road with a row boat in the back and fishermen, and lots of Quads running around. I think if they're going to crack down it will be these guys they're after.
I'm not advocating biking these trails, but a lot of bikers are hikers too and I find the new map interesting.
Especially Four Birds trail that looks like it goes into Split Rock.

Top Bottom