Perfect Park Bike?

THATmanMANNY

@Sevenz i love it. Your son is just talking nonchalantly where I would be too busy clamping down my teeth and pucking my cheeks.
Speaking of teeth. I don't know about you guys but I wore a mouth guard before and will continue to do so again this season.

Sevenz

@Sevenz i love it. Your son is just talking nonchalantly where I would be too busy clamping down my teeth and pucking my cheeks.
Speaking of teeth. I don't know about you guys but I wore a mouth guard before and will continue to do so again this season.
He has definitely found his niche recording unedited top to bottom full pulls and talking through most of it. I like it because its different than what most do, editing up a bunch of the best of from a day or weekend. Its pretty insane that on a top to bottom full pull he can talk calmly and not be completely out of breath. Up until about 4 yrs ago I was a competitive Cat 1 XC racer and I can no longer hold his wheel going down a mtn...It happens like a light switch.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
He was bit by the bug very early and converted me to the gravity side (DH and Enduro) about 4 yrs ago. This past summer was the first year he did not do at least a week at Highland's Ayr Academy (Boo Covid) where he has trained under (Tyler McCaul, Kyle Straight, Reed Bogs, Geoff Gulvich) and a bunch of other top pros...But the real progression comes from riding with other like minded groms. Its crazy but none of his local friends (we live on Long Island) ride...All of his riding friends live all over the NE...We travel just about every weekend Spring - Fall riding and racing. Its pretty awesome when your son shares your passion!
Dude my son is probably doing the highland academy this summer! He's 14 btw. Lets chat and maybe hit creek on the same day in the spring -

one piece crank

I'm happy with my Esker, my buddy Mike has ridden that flow line with a 24" dual suspension DJ bike, and GB has done most of Creek on a 20" HT. I feel bike wise there are plenty of great options but that ultimate flow line is still not built yet.
Seriously? Not a 20" ???

Reactions: don

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I nominate the new Transition Spire as the perfect park bike... 170mm Horst Link with 63° HA. It’s even got a longer wheelbase than their DH bike. :eek: Swap out the 12 gears for 7spd and now you’re talking!

1CB33D49-6F1A-4C3F-833C-0D78F61B05E1.jpeg

🖤🖤🖤

Last edited:

krink

Eddie Munster
Jumping into this late. My first time at Mountain Creek was three weekends ago. Then went back Friday before last, then went back yesterday. Definitely adding a park bike and time at Mountain Creek to my normal riding. I freaking loved it. I liked break out more than Bleuphoria but will ride both. First two times I was on my yeti SB 5+. 130 of rear travel 140 front HT 67.5. 27.5+ It was great to get around the mountain. But felt the rocks and chop, also felt twitchy on big flow.(well, big for me, Alpine and Indy) Yesterday when I went back have a great friend that lent me his specialized demo mullet. I also rented one of the Trek session 29ers HT’s 62–63.5. Alternated every couple of runs. Both of yesterdays bikes blew the doors off of my yeti and I had a blast. I was actually landing some table tops correctly. The one bad thing about both bikes yesterday was peddling was a bitch and I actually really noticed the lack of a dropper post. So now I know I’m happy on either a mullet or a 29 but not sure about single or dual crown and really loved how slack these bikes were. I’ve been looking at everything from the yeti SB 150 and Bronson , to a mullet Santa Cruz nomad and V 10. What do you guys think?

JonF

Many people, myself included, run a longer travel slack super endero or big duro type 170/180 bike exclusively for bike park duty. It does allow you the freedom of riding it at the bike park, but then also riding other trails since it has a dropper and a full range cassette. You can set up Enduro bikes to ride plush like a DH bike with a coil rear and tweaks of the fork or, alternately, set it up more firmer for pedaly based riding. Of course you won't have that extra inch of travel and stiffness of the DH bike width dual crown forks, but you can also look at that as diminishing returns for all about the gnarliest of double black diamond trails.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I’ve been looking at everything from the yeti SB 150 and Bronson , to a mullet Santa Cruz nomad and V 10. What do you guys think?
Park riding, especially at Creek, is rough on equipment. If you’re thinking of going often, I recommend an alloy bike with burly parts and at least 170mm of travel. A full-on DH bike isn’t a bad idea unless you plan on racing enduro.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I liked break out more than Bleuphoria but will ride both.
Are you sure you’re talking about Bluephoria? Breakout is a flow trail with jumps and berms, Bluephoria is on the backside of the mountain and is a super chunky technical enduro trail. Two completely different animals.

For a park bike, you can get a lot more bang for buck from other brands than Yeti and SC. The real question is whether you want to be planted and aggressive in the chunk or poppy and playful for freeride. Check out some brands like Commencal and Propain. I beat the hell out of a Commencal Meta at Creek for 4 years and somehow it’s still rolling (arguably). You’ll be a lot more likely to try some double blacks if you don’t have to worry about a $7k carbon bike cartwheeling down a rock garden…

krink

Eddie Munster
Are you sure you’re talking about Bluephoria? Breakout is a flow trail with jumps and berms, Bluephoria is on the backside of the mountain and is a super chunky technical enduro trail. Two completely different animals.
Yup that was the point. i want a bike for jumps and berms more than chunk and rock gardens. I grew up on techy rock gardens in Pa and WV and can use an all mountain bike for bluephoria or bushwhack but want a bike more for the stuff on breakout or tempest.
The real question is whether you want to be planted and aggressive in the chunk or poppy and playful for freeride.
Thanks! thats a better way for me to ask my question. Definitely more poppy for free ride. Jumps, drops, rollers and berms.

Last edited:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
This year I went from a dedicated DH bike to a spesh status which is a mullet 63 degree HA and 160mm front and rear. Also short chainstays for a fun almost DJ feel. At 3 grand its pretty much the perfect budget park bike.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yup that was the point.
Lol just checking. Lotta people expect Bluephoria to be like the other blues….and it ain’t.

Check out the Commencal Clash. Propain Spindrift looks dope too but I don’t have any experience with them. I just like watching Remy shred on his lol.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Lol just checking. Lotta people expect Bluephoria to be like the other blues….and it ain’t.

Check out the Commencal Clash. Propain Spindrift looks dope too but I don’t have any experience with them. I just like watching Remy shred on his lol.
There should be a disclaimer under the Bluephoria sign, “WARNING, this trail sucks”.

Top Bottom