Pisgah Stage Race vs TSEpic

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I know a handful of y’all have done both. If you could only pick one to do, which one would you do and why?

JDurk

I know a handful of y’all have done both. If you could only pick one to do, which one would you do and why?
There was discussion amongst my stage race travelling partner last year about doing both, but I could only swing 1. So TSE it was, again, for the 6th time. Speaking with other TSEers about doing Pisgah, they all said there's much more climbing. TSE has more rocks. Someone also mentioned that 1 of the Pisgah stages this year had like a 5 mile neutral rollout to the race start. All but 1 stage of '23 TSE had start/finish in camp. The stage that didn't was a 15min drive to Tussey Mountain Ski location, with a start/finish adjacent to the parking lot.

Pisgah is closer to you. Both are big commitments as far as time off and travel. The weather at TSE was the best ever this year, if I dare say, too dry.

Last edited:

JDurk

can you confirm nice weather every time?
No way, Accuweather is not accurate 50% of the time. 1st year I participated was '16 and it rained every day. '17 it rained, but not as much. There was definitely rain in '19. '21 was cold and damp, I quit and went home after day 3. Last year it rained 1 day, of course it was Tussey Ridge stage.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's going to rain at some point during Pisgah Stage Race. I think there's no way to escape that.

@Pearl Do both, report back.

There was discussion amongst my stage race travelling partner last year about doing both, but I could only swing 1. So TSE it was, again, for the 6th time. Speaking with other TSEers about doing Pisgah, they all said there's much more climbing. TSE has more rocks. Someone also mentioned that 1 of the Pisgah stages this year had like a 5 mile neutral rollout to the race start. All but 1 stage of '23 TSE had start/finish in camp. The stage that didn't was a 15min drive to Tussey Mountain Ski location, with a start/finish adjacent to the parking lot.

Pisgah is closer to you. Both are big commitments as far as time off and travel. The weather at TSE was the best ever this year, if I dare say, too dry.
Lots of opinion on the trails, but what about the general race as far as logistics? Not that I have a dog in the fight but were both done well from logistics? I can see how a stage race could be a nightmare.

PSR this year seemed to have a new venue hence why I think there was a 5 mile neutral start on the one stage but I was imagine the Music Center would be a great spot as there's cabins, buildings for registration, food, good parking, near the town etc. But it's only really close to one trail so for most days I'd expect lots of shuttling/long rides but maybe that's a general stage race thing?

I can't wrap my head around running a stage race.

JDurk

It's going to rain at some point during Pisgah Stage Race. I think there's no way to escape that.

@Pearl Do both, report back.

Lots of opinion on the trails, but what about the general race as far as logistics? Not that I have a dog in the fight but were both done well from logistics? I can see how a stage race could be a nightmare.

PSR this year seemed to have a new venue hence why I think there was a 5 mile neutral start on the one stage but I was imagine the Music Center would be a great spot as there's cabins, buildings for registration, food, good parking, near the town etc. But it's only really close to one trail so for most days I'd expect lots of shuttling/long rides but maybe that's a general stage race thing?

I can't wrap my head around running a stage race.
Ryan Fulton has been promoter of TSE since '19 and he took over PSR this year. These aren't the only events he runs. Trans-sylvania Productions and Blue Ridge Adventures are his businesses. Most of the staff of TSE has been working/volunteering with the race since I've been a participant. Logistics for TSE is very good. Race central is Seven Mtn Boy Scout Camp, with lodges($), cabins($), tents($0.0) or RV parking($). Breakfast and dinner are included with race entry. 4 of 5 stages start/finish in camp. The remote stage changed this year to a 15min drive to Tussey Mtn ski area instead of a 1.25hr drive to R.B. Winter S.P. Stages have a fully stocked aid station, and the longer stages have 2. Chip timing, enduro segment in every stage for time bonuses. Daily awards after dinner including reviewing the next stage and video recap from the day. 2 photographers, 1 video guy, and a drone operator or 2.

The term of #singletracksummercamp is very fitting.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Ya but he's like a pro and stuff

I do love that TSE has the 3 day option, wish PSR had that, would be a no brainer...

Or I could just go ride those areas for free and camp somewhere and do whatever the hell i want

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's

I do love that TSE has the 3 day option, wish PSR had that, would be a no brainer...

Or I could just go ride those areas for free and camp somewhere and do whatever the hell i want
Triple crown series is the three day at PSR.

JDurk

3 day option got harder this year with Cooper's Gap being moved from Stage 2 to 3, which is when the 3 day participants begin. Then they get Tussey on their 2nd and Bald Eagle on last day, which was a bit longer and more tech this year.

Guess I better write my race recap soon.

JDurk

Kerry Werner (winner of both this year) did a VLOG on all the days of both. Probably the best thing you're going to get in terms of a review:

Each evening, all racers gather for dinner, followed by daily awards. After that, Ryan does a course announcement and brief description. Kerry then follows up with detailed course intel using the map and elevation plot of what to expect. I'm going to assume that knowing that part of PA as well as he does was a big part of getting the win by 27sec! The enduro time bonus definitely helped the top 3 stay this close.
1685622541526.png

roc

God bless you people, either one of those looks brutal. I can’t fathom why anybody would do that.

Top Bottom