Poll: Hardest Climb

What is the most difficult climb in Chimney Rock?

• Red fire road

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Orange zig zag guardrail climb

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Orange climb up from Gilbride

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yellow counterclockwise to the Hawk Watch

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Yellow clockwise to Miller

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yellow climbs out of High Tech (both ways)

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Orange climbs from reservoir (both ways)

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

CNJRider

Joker
Curious about what the rest of you think about is the most difficult, lung bursting and leg burning of them all at CR. Let me know if I missed any and I can consider adding. Personally, I’m most intimidated by Yellow, both clockwise and counterclockwise.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’d put both climbs out of High Tech on that list as well as both climb on orange from the river. Those might be 3 of the 4 hardest in the park. Orange from Gilbride doesn’t rate IMO. I have not done the red fire road in forever so I can’t say.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
In with @Norm on this one - both sides of orange from the res -
This would include the gilbride rock plate noted above.

Screenshot 2021-09-26 04.26.38.png

The red and yellow fire roads are just boring-long, so I think they feel worse than they are.

If by yellow-clockwise to miller you start at the bridge off gilbride, turn left, then left at the 4-way.
Yeah. that rock plate is tough, then the steep turn, then the step-up, loose switch-backs and not half way yet!

Screenshot 2021-09-26 04.36.45.png

CNJRider

Joker
If by yellow-clockwise to miller you start at the bridge off gilbride, turn left, then left at the 4-way.
Yeah. that rock plate is tough, then the steep turn, then the step-up, loose switch-backs and not half way yet!

View attachment 167897
Indeed that is what I meant. ive only descended that one. Don’t think I can make it up some of the steeper sections, particularly the one or two tallest drops.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Orange dam climb up from the reservoir. That gets steep AF. Only made it 4 times.
I voted for orange climbs both ways. But really only the dam side climb for me .

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The high tech trail starting from the bottom. The opposite way you normally ride ride it (down the switchbacks). That’s the toughest climb IMO.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Orange from the damn dam is the hardest IMO. The old Yellow Climb used to be the hardest but since the re route up tip that's gotten a lot easier.

eastbloc

By way of my HRM, the red fire road (which has gotten a fair bit harder since Ida) and the yellow switchbacks (Kram's climb followed up by granola) are the most consistent ways of getting it done. The latter mostly on account of having to continuously build momentum to clear the technical sections.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
By way of my HRM, the red fire road (which has gotten a fair bit harder since Ida) and the yellow switchbacks (Kram's climb followed up by granola) are the most consistent ways of getting it done. The latter mostly on account of having to continuously build momentum to clear the technical sections.
I never thought of granola as a hard climb or even a climb for that matter. It is however much faster on a full sus. I PRd by 10 seconds on suspension vs hardtail.

eastbloc

I never thought of granola as a hard climb or even a climb for that matter. It is however much faster on a full sus. I PRd by 10 seconds on suspension vs hardtail.
Yes, I suppose it's not so much a climb unto itself as a continued source of high resistive friction where you can keep your HR up and lungs stretched after climbing from the bottom if you stay out of the saddle and hammer it :)

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Yes, I suppose it's not so much a climb unto itself as a continued source of high resistive friction where you can keep your HR up and lungs stretched after climbing from the bottom if you stay out of the saddle and hammer it :)
Ha we never had it coming from the bottom. I am always following Iggy or Jeremy and we tend to come down from the other side of yellow and go straight across into granola

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions