Question on bike rack for carbon frames

Captain Brainstorm

Not relevant to this discussion. No bike rack clamps the rear triangle.
Just making the point that these videos where they pound the shit out of the front triangle are horseshit, since the carbon rear triangles are no where near that durable and will break with even a modest side load or impact. Reminds me of another video years ago that showed the impressive front impact that a Smart Car was able to sustain, but neglected to show how you’d be crushed like a paper cup if someone nailed you from the side.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just making the point that these videos where they pound the shit out of the front triangle are horseshit, since the carbon rear triangles are no where near that durable and will break with even a modest side load or impact. Reminds me of another video years ago that showed the impressive front impact that a Smart Car was able to sustain, but neglected to show how you’d be crushed like a paper cup if someone nailed you from the side.
You sure about that? I thought those cars were basically cages on wheels.

Side impact rating was G by the IIHS. Not the best but not the worst.

Captain Brainstorm

You sure about that? I thought those cars were basically cages on wheels.

Side impact rating was G by the IIHS. Not the best but not the worst.
Think of it this way, what happens if someone puts you in a cage and then throws you down a long flight of stairs or off your roof?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just making the point that these videos where they pound the shit out of the front triangle are horseshit, since the carbon rear triangles are no where near that durable and will break with even a modest side load or impact.

the bike i saw was a hardtail, but the rear triangle section was doing just as well as the front section . . . . not sure about full suspension but i havent had any problems with side impacts damaging any of my bikes.

serviceguy

the bike i saw was a hardtail, but the rear triangle section was doing just as well as the front section . . . . not sure about full suspension but i havent had any problems with side impacts damaging any of my bikes.
Not taking sides on this heated debate, but I cracked my only carbon frame on the right seat stay side (hard tail) during its very first ride…

Captain Brainstorm

I would expect frames breaking to be the exception, not the rule, but in the hands of the ham-fisted few who’s brains write checks their bodies can’t cash, breaking seat and chain stays has been more common on carbon bikes FS bikes. The LBS where I bought my bike has this happen on almost every brand they sell.

Apparently Good according to actual tests of the vehicle.
My friends father was an accident investigator for the insurance companies, and the way he explained it at the time was that as impressive as those tests were on such a small car, the vehicle may have survived an impressive amount of force for its size, but in the uncontrolled real world, those forces are transferred directly to the passengers in a way that couldn’t be directly quantified by crash test dummies. He said that was the last car he wanted to be in for a side impact crash, driver or passenger seat.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My friends father was an accident investigator for the insurance companies, and the way he explained it at the time was that as impressive as those tests were on such a small car, the vehicle may have survived an impressive amount of force for its size, but in the uncontrolled real world, those forces are transferred directly to the passengers in a way that couldn’t be directly quantified by crash test dummies. He said that was the last car he wanted to be in for a side impact crash, driver or passenger seat.

not that this is even remotely close to being on topic here, but . . . .

part of the reason modern cars have grown as much as they have is the fact that they need the crumple zones to absorb the impact energy in order to pass crash testing. It also drives the material choice and shape of parts in the appropriate zones. If the energy isn't absorbed by the car it is passed to the occupants, and unless you are strapped into a 5point harness you are getting tossed around inside (given a significant enough impact) and its not going to end well.

JonF

Seems like a prime candidate for the upside-down suction roof rack.

p5pb22902072.jpg

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
not that this is even remotely close to being on topic here, but . . . .

part of the reason modern cars have grown as much as they have is the fact that they need the crumple zones to absorb the impact energy in order to pass crash testing. It also drives the material choice and shape of parts in the appropriate zones. If the energy isn't absorbed by the car it is passed to the occupants, and unless you are strapped into a 5point harness you are getting tossed around inside (given a significant enough impact) and its not going to end well.
Not a car guy at all but "modern cars have grown" doesn't compute with me. SUVs sure, but that's more trend/fad than anything else. Actual cars (sedans) today compared to 1950s-1980s cars??
PSX_20190512_115616.2e16d0ba.fill-1440x605.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not a car guy at all but "modern cars have grown" doesn't compute with me. SUVs sure, but that's more trend/fad than anything else. Actual cars (sedans) today compared to 1950s-1980s cars??
PSX_20190512_115616.2e16d0ba.fill-1440x605.jpg
Can cruise in that car with your arm resting on the door. @shrpshtr325 would need to ape arm to do that in his modern car due to side-impact requirements.

While we remember a lot of the big cars of the 60's/70's, they weren't all large. And a lot of it was just length. Post oil crisis cars got way smaller.

My Honda Fit had to exist because Honda kept increasing the size of each car they made that the Civic was larger than an Accord of a few previous generations.

THATmanMANNY

Anyways…. I don’t have experience with this to answer the question or researched but I highly doubt a little clamping force will do that anything to that area. Carbon or not I would wrap it with a little foam or rag to protect the finish.

Captain Brainstorm

Bringing it back around, I would spend a little more and get the OneUp. I’ve been a Thule user for a very long time, and I find that their bike racks don’t stand up over time. Design and construction is crap for the money they command. You’re carrying a bike you paid thousands for, spend a little bit more than you would for a better rack. Buy once cry once.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
If he’s doing a roof rack get a fork mount model, it takes 10 seconds to pull the front wheel off the bike.
Unfortunately it takes me longer than that to remove the wheel off my Fox 36 Factory fork. I need to grab a hex wrench to first loosen the pinch bolt on one of the legs then use the wrench to remove the axel. None of my bikes have quick release axels. Then I have to find a place to store the front wheel. With a OneUp rack it literally takes 10 seconds from lifting the bike to the rack to having the bike secured on the rack.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Circling back on this. Thanks again for all the input. Son ended up taking the bulk of y’all’s advice and getting a 1Up roof mount. 👍. With a carbon bike and 1 Up rack, he is officially cooler than me now.

IMG_1701.jpeg

Top Bottom