Ramapo beginner trails

robr1023

Are there any beginner trails here?

I was hiking by the lake yesterday and was on cannonball I think (red circle white c) for a bit and it seemed not too technical, flat, and straight.

If there is a way to do a beginner location that would be ideal because skyline Dr is much closer to me than any other park.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JerseyPete

The trails around the lake and up to the ruins are the least technical there (fire roads). Most others are rocky and roots.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
Are there any beginner trails here?

I was hiking by the lake yesterday and was on cannonball I think (red circle white c) for a bit and it seemed not too technical, flat, and straight.

If there is a way to do a beginner location that would be ideal because skyline Dr is much closer to me than any other park.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

that was the FIREROAD part of the Cannonball. Cannonball is rocky, twisty, and rooty :getsome:

Dpnt be afraid to give it a shot. The sooner you start riding the rocks the better!

JerseyPete

Start at the end of Barbara Drive in Pompton Lakes. You will find Cannonball there at the soccer field. Take it up and over 287, around the lake, through the switchbacks leading to the top of Skyline Dr. Then if you cross Skyline, you are out of Ramapo and into Ringwood.

robr1023

Start at the end of Barbara Drive in Pompton Lakes. You will find Cannonball there at the soccer field. Take it up and over 287, around the lake, through the switchbacks leading to the top of Skyline Dr. Then if you cross Skyline, you are out of Ramapo and into Ringwood.

And that's on the easier side of the difficulty spectrum?

JerseyPete

And that's on the easier side of the difficulty spectrum?

No, the easy stuff is only the fire roads that are around the lake and lead up to the ruins. You can ride those for practice and get up to speed with your bike.

You should at least hike Cannonball so you can see what the full extent of the trail is like and get familiar with it.

robr1023

No, the easy stuff is only the fire roads that are around the lake and lead up to the ruins. You can ride those for practice and get up to speed with your bike.

You should at least hike Cannonball so you can see what the full extent of the trail is like and get familiar with it.

Alright, so what do you recommend for trails I should start off with?

Lewis Morris? Mahlon Dickerson?

ninja4life

I started Mtn biking at Ramapo. I parked at the TOS, and went down the cannonball switchbacks. Halfway down my life changed…………... I was hooked. Just take it slow at first. :getsome:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
The Sussex Branch trail at Kittatinny is a good starting point. It is mostly a rail trail, but many trails split off of that. Give them a try when you feel ready. Nothing at Kittatinny is crazy, but there are some rocks and roots to try out without it being overwhelming.

Ramapo is not a great place to learn single track. However, that is where I learned.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions