Ramblings from Moe Mountain

So the electronics in my life are revolting against me! The computer has been acting up, first thing in the morning it works fine. (online).
Go for my ride come back enter my info into Strava, working fine. Upload photos, uh-oh, not working, loading, loading, loading.
Check my email in the meantime, nothing special, go back to Strava, still no good. Load MTBNJ, says “no internet connection”.
Check my network internet access and it says connected to internet. Check email program again, working fine. What da. Reboot computer.
Sometimes it fixes everything, sometimes not. When not, I go away and do other stuff for 2 or 3 hours, come back and everything working fine.
This sucks, happing more often lately, like every couple days, but once it fixes itself it‘s good the whole rest of the day When it‘s bad, both Google
and MS Edge say the same thing, not connected..
Start my car and the radio is on ! I haven’t used the radio in 2 years, now it comes on every time I start the car. Another start up thing,
the display screen asks if I want to connect to my wi-fi, I say fine, I had it set to do that already. Now every time I start the car it asks again.
Now to happy stuff, I was out riding / trimming some trails this morning and some early morning trail runners came up behind me, saw what
I was doing and said “thanks to the mountain bikers we have some nice trails to run on, thanks!” That’s always nice to hear.

snipped a path
View attachment 211579

one of these days i'm going to take the dirt on the side of the road and put it in the middle to resolve that problem spot.
probably need a tamper tho.

Nice hot day for some trail work, almost 80°. Some tree cutting, long past due, but today was the day.
First tree was large and hard and used up my battery that wasn’t fully charged. Battery swap got it done.
Next tree went easy, softer wood and I used my wedges to keep from pinching the blade. Next tree much smaller,
but also hard and this time I did pinch the blade, damn…
I managed to dig under the tree and get a strong branch under far enough to lift the tree enough to release the blade.
I’m glad this project is done, it’s been buggin’ me for a year.
Dsc00203.jpg
Dsc00204.jpg
Dsc00205.jpg
Dsc00206.jpg
Dsc00208.jpg

Not a lot new here, got my carpel tunnel release surgery last Wednesday and eveything is fine, healing up nicely.
Stopped by the MTBNJ barbeque on Saturday, fun time and good food.
Did a rare short half mile hike today, went to the slave cemetery in Wawayanda park.
I don't know much about this place, other than t's an old slave cemetery. Nothing written
on the stones either. I'm curious about the dates and other particulars, but very little is known about it.

Dsc00422.jpg

Dsc00423.jpg

Dsc00426.jpg

Last edited:
Did a rare short half mile hike today, went to the slave cemetery in Wawayanda park.
I don't know much about this place, other than t's an old slave cemetery. Nothing written
on the stones either. I'm curious about the dates and other particulars, but very little is known about it.
I had no idea this existed. Where in the park is it?

I had no idea this existed. Where in the park is it?
Within Wawayanda State Park in NJ, a short distance off of the Appalachian Trail. Easily accessed from Warwick Turnpike.
Getting there requires small stream crossing (about 4'). It's a shame more people don't know about or visit this area.
Besides the cemetery, exploratory iron mines are very close by, as is the A.T.
N 41° 12.068 W 074° 23.619

:mad:
I’ve been trying to get the Optimum app working on my cell phone for a few days now with no luck.
I have Optimum TV in the house and they advertise TV Everywhere (TVE) for your phone.
So I made the twenty six mile trip to the Optimum store for help.
The attendant was very polite and helpful and worked for about fifteen minutes trying to get it to work.
Finally she said “we’re almost there!” Just as I was about to have an orgasm over this news, she said uh oh,
they need to verify your identity and sent a security code to your home email address, and since you’re not there to read it we can’t finalize this.
Damn, so close, but we failed again.

Then I went to Verizon because I need help setting up my account, I just can’t seem to do it.
Again the attendant was very helpful and after about ten minutes he announced that he couldn’t do it either,
it seems my account is locked because of a fraud issue and I’d have to go to a larger Verizon office about
twenty five miles away and they could help me there Pretty aggravating trying to get this phone/computer stuff working. I think I’ll go ride my bike.

Nice ride today, I left a little later due to early morning thunder storms. As I was unloading,
getting ready to ride there was another rider there with a small child on his back in a carrier.
Dsc00684.jpg

This set up looked precarious to me, but I guess he knows what he’s doing.
I noticed he stopped for a park map and was looking it over. He was headed for Hoeferlin trail,
so I gave him a heads up about the flooded section, suggesting he do the Iron Mountain loop.
He said he hadn’t ridden here in quite a while and forgot the trails. So off he goes.
I didn’t know where I was riding today, so I figured I’d do the same loop, I like that loop anyway.
About four miles. I was just going easy today, not that I ever go hard though. Decided to collect some trash along the way,
beer cans and such. I never did catch up to Will, that’s his name.
I wonder what makes people think it’s OK to do stupid litter on the trails.
Dsc00685.jpg

I also started trimming some invasive sticker thorns along the way. Plenty of them.
Finished the loop and got to the beach area and saw a painter there,
painter.jpg

and there was Will and child in the children’s entertainment grounds having some fun too. I stopped and asked how was the ride?
Will said perfect, and thanked me for the advise. I finished my ride by returning along Iron Mt. continuing to trim stickers.
Only did about eleven lazy miles, but great weather for it.
Dsc00686.jpg

Last edited:
Did my early morning ride today and saw John again. He is a friend of one of my walking friends.
John has been riding quite a lot lately, trying to loose some weight. I’d guess he’s about 44 years old,
but he’s a lot better rider than me. He does ride with some slower friends at times. Here is a picture of him riding
the boardwalk on Double Pond trail heading towards Red Dot. I’ve ridden this boardwalk at times, but not lately,
I tend to walk it anymore. The swamp grass is so high you can hardly see the trail.
Dsc00714.jpg

On a sadder note, I went to a funeral last night for Dave Castner. I’ve know him for a few years now and rode with him on occasion.
He was way out of my league as a rider. Belonged to Black Bear Cycle club too. Great guy, don’t know if anyone here knew him.
He died tragically in a motorcycle accident last week. Left behind some children and a wife.
Just thought I’d post it here if anyone knew him.

Dave Castner 9.jpeg

bb Dave castner.jpg

Rain for the last two days and again tomorrow. Wow, the Mountain bike festival was canceled this weekend due to the weather.
But, the Squatchyanda Trail Running festival was held despite all the rain.
Day one I road some of the course called the checkered course because I’m always out riding very early and wouldn’t interfere with the event.
This was really a great course, down Old Wawayanda road and left on Application crossover trail and left again on Iron Mountain
to the little known trail called Find a Way, which goes to Easy Peasy trail, another lesser known trail. It was great to see them use these unsanctioned trails for an event.
This event seems quite grueling, Over the two days you can do the 30 mile, 50 mile, or 100 mile race.
Day two I just did my usual morning ride and watched some of the racers. Everyone seemed in good spirits even with the lousy weather.
They had great swag and an amazing spread of food and snacks and drinks available for everyone. Very well run event.
One runner I saw did 102 miles in 26 hours. Some photos

Dsc00781.jpg
Dsc00782.jpg
Dsc00783.jpg
Dsc00784.jpg
Dsc00786.jpg
runners rain.jpg
runners rain2.jpg

Last edited:
I went riding a little later than usual today. Sunday is a busy time in the park.
I wanted to remove this tree from Easy Peasy trail, I was hoping the Quad guys would get it,
but that hasn't happened in a few weeks, so I went at it.
sawman.jpg

Dsc00842.jpg

Like I said, a crowded day today a real DOG day. Some on leash some not. I like early morning better. This was at 8:30 AM.

dog wingdam.jpg
dog2 wingdam.jpg
dog3 wingdam.jpg
dog4jpg.jpg

Only the Shadow knows!
shadow.jpg

Nice local ride, I hadn’t planned on going up Old Coal Trail today, but the gate was open and inviting and I couldn’t pass it up.
It is also the entrance to Wildcat, a county park for kids with camping and hiking. It was once owned by Fred Ferber, a well known local, but that’s another story.
The cabin was open and I invited myself in to look around, I’ve never been inside this cabin, always just saw it from the outside.
There was maybe a dozen friendly people inside having lunch and a nice fire going.
The walls had lots of pictures and articles about Fred and I commented to them that that was very nice to see
and it was also nice they had the name Ferber Cabin carved on the front of the cabin.
I left and rode up some trails, god, these trails haven’t been used in years, lots of blow downs.
I took the trail farthest to the right because I know it’s the less used of any there,
I have ridden it before. Pretty tough, lots of smaller rocks and gully’s on what looks like a small fire road.
Great fun though. A few off trails too that I explored a short ways and turned around when it looked sketchy. That’s it.

pete ferber cabin.jpg

Dsc00853.jpg

ferber 1.jpg

ferber 2.jpg

ferber 3.jpg

Nice local ride, I hadn’t planned on going up Old Coal Trail today, but the gate was open and inviting and I couldn’t pass it up.
It is also the entrance to Wildcat, a county park for kids with camping and hiking. It was once owned by Fred Ferber, a well known local, but that’s another story.
The cabin was open and I invited myself in to look around, I’ve never been inside this cabin, always just saw it from the outside.
There was maybe a dozen friendly people inside having lunch and a nice fire going.
The walls had lots of pictures and articles about Fred and I commented to them that that was very nice to see
and it was also nice they had the name Ferber Cabin carved on the front of the cabin.
I left and rode up some trails, god, these trails haven’t been used in years, lots of blow downs.
I took the trail farthest to the right because I know it’s the less used of any there,
I have ridden it before. Pretty tough, lots of smaller rocks and gully’s on what looks like a small fire road.
Great fun though. A few off trails too that I explored a short ways and turned around when it looked sketchy. That’s it.

View attachment 225273
View attachment 225267

View attachment 225268

View attachment 225269

View attachment 225270

You were brave to just walk in there with strangers. Don't you watch horror flicks? This could have been you

FKP_4655.jpg

Back
Top Bottom