Random Acts of Trail Maintenance

Bleeder

JORBA:President
IMG_20160702_132008648.jpg

Who's ever cutting out the saplings in Jungle. Please don't.

First off you're doing it wrong. Leaving ends sticking up like this is dangerous if somebody falls on them.
Second, they fucking suck if you hit them with your tire.
Third, WTF? If you can't ride between the trees ride somewhere else.

Just frigging leave them.

V-Dub

I look at it as vandalism, please leave the trails as they are!

Last edited:

chris12453

I noticed some of this about a month ago when I was riding up on Boon. Thought some of the sections that required weaving through the saplings seemed awfully easy.

DownhillR3

Trails are becoming easier at all these parks because weenies can't ride technical terrain, biking has become such a lame sport as the more general public get involved.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like how, as we get older, the approach we take to dealing with people we don't agree with is the same as when we were in 3rd grade: by calling them names.

I don't see how this approach is productive.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The trick here is to try and educate people, we have people at all the parks that truly feel that they are helping out by trimming things back.
Any time someone wants to know how and why we trim things just ask. Anyone that shepherds a park will be glad to show you.
And I can agree with the OP's frustration level and why it came off like it did.
I have been dealing with people trimming back things in Allaire to the point that some of the fun twisty tight sections are not fun anymore.

Blair

I like how, as we get older, the approach we take to dealing with people we don't agree with is the same as when we were in 3rd grade: by calling them names.

I don't see how this approach is productive.
I'm not sure it is age, but name calling is the lowest form of persuasive argument. Pretty much when the person has given up.

DownhillR3

Mike, totally agree. At some point it should be noted in state parks on the main board signs or at trailheads, it becoming a huge issue. Yes, unfortunately one of my frequent spots I notice this alot is KVSP and can see the effects it's causing on nature.

And to Norms comment, yes it's frustrating to see. If any obstacle (log for example) can't be made due to skill or whatever other reason... multiple paths shouldn't be made causing more erosion and shrub loss.

PS, I built mountain bike trails for 4years, full-time as a job and still volunteer if I see something while riding. Hopefully that's more merit than just thinking I'm some Joe Schmo bantering on forums complaining.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions