Replacing roof

Mr. E Man

Getting my roof replaced - does anyone have experienced with using GAF or Atlas ? Had few contractors come over to give me an estimate (all prices are in the same ballpark) and all contractors are all recommended. It just comes down to which shingle I would want to go with...

I've used GAF timberline for the last two roofing projects we've done. Wasn't worth the cost savings for the regular 3 tab shingles with the longer life, about 30 years. Though I know Atlas has slate look shingles which we had considered, but they were considerably more than the timberline

Did the timberline architectural in 2006 - other than a tree branch deciding to "lean" against the edge of my house, they look great.
- i could replace that broken shingle, but it is just a busted off overhanging edge.

GAF is the king in this region for a reason. They would be like what Maxxis is to tires or Sram / Shimano is to drivetrains. Other manufacturers also make good products, but typically seen as a step behind.

Personally I think that while the material is important, a good quality contractor is even more so since a bad job can screw up using a great product.

+1 for GAF Timberline - we also did our whole roof back in probably 2007-2008. Since it was a full replacement I decided to spent about an extra 5-7K and they added the water shield on the back half of the whole roof since thats the side that faces the sun in the winter and I get Ice dams all in the gutters.

I still use a roof rake to pull the snow down as far up as I can reach anyway just because the main part of the roof is over the kitchen that we re-did in 2006.

We did our roof at the end of 2021, used GAF Timberline and happy with it.

Not sure if that is still the case, but back then you could choose any color you wanted as long as it was anthracite...not that other manufacturer offered much choice. This was in the middle of the COVID extravaganza, it may have changed since, but still something to consider.

Also, I was suggested to have the contractor source the tiles from the factory/distributor as retailers may supply a single project with product from different production batches/year that while listed as the same p/n may be of a slightly different color and having been sitting on a shelf for a while...

I recently had my roof replaced with GAF Timberline shingles. Overall, I'm satisfied with the outcome. GAF is a reputable brand known for its quality and durability, and the Timberline series lived up to that reputation.
The installation process went smoothly. The roofing contractors I hired were experienced, and they were able to install the shingles efficiently and without any major issues.
Don't forget about proper disposal of the old shingles and sheathing. I opted to rent a dumpster for this purpose, which made the cleanup much easier. It cost me around $200 for a week. We live in Lafayette, and we used Dumpster Rentals Lafayette.

Last edited:
Getting my roof replaced - does anyone have experienced with using GAF or Atlas ? Had few contractors come over to give me an estimate (all prices are in the same ballpark) and all contractors are all recommended. It just comes down to which shingle I would want to go with...
UPDATE - I went with GAF... My roof was leaking had little damage in the kitchen. Insurance came out inspected the roof and the kitchen. 2 days later my wife and I got a check in the mail for the full amount for the roof cost and the damage in the kitchen. It didn't cover the 32 sheets of plywood that needed to be replace and gutters, but that's okay.. I'd say win-win on my end.

Back
Top Bottom