school me on kayaks

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
It’s a lot like bikes….. $$$$ vs weight.

If you’re going out for short trips cheep paddle is not gonna be a issue.
But if if you’re spending more than an hour or two at a time, the lighter paddle will keep your hands and shoulders a lot happier. Just my 2c.

Oh, this is what my wife and I use on ours. We love them.

AQUA BOUND Manta Ray Carbon 2-Piece Kayak Paddle https://a.co/d/ee93tKh

qclabrat

So I picked up two kayaks in the past few weeks. One is an older Emotion 15ft which will be my diy fishing rig and the second is a Hobie Mirage. I have a hand me down set of Yakima deckhands I'm using and have questions on tying down the kayak. See lots of folks transporting with just two tie downs at the rack and no front or rear tether. I go on the highways so not sure I can secure them without tethers

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
See lots of folks transporting with just two tie downs at the rack and no front or rear tether. I go on the highways so not sure I can secure them without tethers
The 15' kayak should be tethered down front and back, the 10' kayak is fine just strapped to rack.

Kayaks extending beyond windshield and rear of the car should be tethered.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've transported 4 kayaks on my roof up to NH and VT and back with just straps, no tethers. Same to NYS and other places. My kayak was the longest at 13'. Typically 75-80mph. Proper stacking of kayaks (side by side, 2 on each side of my roof towers) is critical tho. I give the yak shake once they are strapped down and mounted...if the car moves and yak doesn't, usually good to go.

The Kalmyk

I've transported 4 kayaks on my roof up to NH and VT and back with just straps, no tethers. Same to NYS and other places. My kayak was the longest at 13'. Typically 75-80mph. Proper stacking of kayaks (side by side, 2 on each side of my roof towers) is critical tho. I give the yak shake once they are strapped down and mounted...if the car moves and yak doesn't, usually good to go.

Gorilla tape em for safe measures

qclabrat

I'm using a tiny VW Tiguan it's probably shorter than my longer kayak. Which rack are you using and on which car? I'm thinking to get different carriers

qclabrat

Survived the load and trip but the unload was not graceful. Used a car dolly on one side but it ended up sliding down one side. Luckily no one around to be crushed by a 90lb kayak. Will need to think about loading options.PXL_20220727_174824637.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
You can get a slidey thing for the rear hatch to help load the kayak from the rear of the car. A guy I paddled with Saturday had one and it was pretty cool. Although a higher end sea kayak is under 40lbs usually so maybe check to see if it's an option first.

qclabrat

You can get a slidey thing for the rear hatch to help load the kayak from the rear of the car. A guy I paddled with Saturday had one and it was pretty cool. Although a higher end sea kayak is under 40lbs usually so maybe check to see if it's an option first.
Yeah, Yakima makes one but have checked the weight limit. Also lots of diy with PVC pipes. There's also one from Amazon where rollers suction to the rear glass

jklett

I use these with my fishing kayak and it weighs around 80#. Only problem I've ever had was the rear ones spinning a little on the bar when I don't lift the back of the boat trying to unload it. I'm pretty sure Thule or any of the other companies make a similar thing as well but I haven't looked in a few years since these work.2Q==.jpg

And as to the strapping, yes even with my 10'er. Only time I don't is when I'm just going the 1/2 mile or so to the canal and don't break 30. Saw one that ripped the roof racks off on the highway a few years back, the straps kept it on the car so it didn't kill anyone.

qclabrat

I use these with my fishing kayak and it weighs around 80#. Only problem I've ever had was the rear ones spinning a little on the bar when I don't lift the back of the boat trying to unload it. I'm pretty sure Thule or any of the other companies make a similar thing as well but I haven't looked in a few years since these work.View attachment 192022

And as to the strapping, yes even with my 10'er. Only time I don't is when I'm just going the 1/2 mile or so to the canal and don't break 30. Saw one that ripped the roof racks off on the highway a few years back, the straps kept it on the car so it didn't kill anyone.
Even with the rear rollers how do you prevent scratching against the rear of the car? Going to give back the Tiguan to the kids in the fall as they'll need to drive themselves to school and work. Let see how much more fun this will be for an E60 with no rails...

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Anyone have experience with foldable kayaks? The Oru one looks nice but pricey, the Tucktec is less than $400, but not sure how it would perform. I would be doing calm flat water paddles nothing crazy.

Top Bottom