school me on kayaks

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Anyone have experience with foldable kayaks? The Oru one looks nice but pricey, the Tucktec is less than $400, but not sure how it would perform. I would be doing calm flat water paddles nothing crazy.

I did a rescue class with a lady who had one. Seemed like a huge expensive POS.

qclabrat

Anyone have experience with foldable kayaks? The Oru one looks nice but pricey, the Tucktec is less than $400, but not sure how it would perform. I would be doing calm flat water paddles nothing crazy.
I'd go with and inflatable given the choice for collapsing yaks. Been reading lots for the past few months and no one credible recommends foldables but a few felt the inflatables were a viable option

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

I may be trying one tomorrow. Will report

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Also the tucktec is made with similar material as mail bins. You really trust floating on that?

They made boats out of concrete.
Of course one just needs to visit Cape May....

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I'd go with and inflatable given the choice for collapsing yaks. Been reading lots for the past few months and no one credible recommends foldables but a few felt the inflatables were a viable option
Yeah that's the Oru. All the Tucktec reviews I have seen say it's pretty good option for calm water. I feel safer with a solid 1/8" plastic than an inflatable that can get punctured with a stick. The Oru looks nicer, but that material seems easily damaged.

jklett

Even with the rear rollers how do you prevent scratching against the rear of the car? Going to give back the Tiguan to the kids in the fall as they'll need to drive themselves to school and work. Let see how much more fun this will be for an E60 with no rails...
Bath mat would do the trick.

qclabrat

Bath mat would do the trick.
There is a sharkfin antenna towards the rear roof. I also use a mat and a strategically placed styrofoam piece to load the yak. But doesn't work coming down as the crossbars aren't holding them back and just slides off

JerseyPete

There is a sharkfin antenna towards the rear roof. I also use a mat and a strategically placed styrofoam piece to load the yak. But doesn't work coming down as the crossbars aren't holding them back and just slides off
Maybe something cheap and homemade like this:

Top Bottom