Send me your ideas for Lew Mo

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the input so far everyone. Many valid points and good suggestions, a fair amount we’ve accounted for so far (and don’t get me started on those mudder events! 🥵) but some incremental perspective that is valuable too, so please keep it coming. I actually think we could use more rocks in the park for armoring and tech sections but there really aren’t any. Too many shallow rooted beech trees 😒 which also makes for hard labor, so mechanized help is not out of the question. Thanks also to those that have raised their hand to volunteer too, it’s much appreciated! 👍 I’ll synthesize this all once the input winds down.

xc62701

Thanks for the input so far everyone. Many valid points and good suggestions, a fair amount we’ve accounted for so far (and don’t get me started on those mudder events! 🥵) but some incremental perspective that is valuable too, so please keep it coming. I actually think we could use more rocks in the park for armoring and tech sections but there really aren’t any. Too many shallow rooted beech trees 😒 which also makes for hard labor, so mechanized help is not out of the question. Thanks also to those that have raised their hand to volunteer too, it’s much appreciated! 👍 I’ll synthesize this all once the input winds down.
I remember hearing that in the past there was some kind of special training that needed to happen in order to do TM here. Maybe that can be simplified or eliminated to make it easier for people to help out and improve the park. I would love to lend a hand to bring this park back to life.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@DanBrodeen nailed it. Its a county park, convince them to allow a machine in there to build quality sustainable trails. Anyone here that has ridden Gurney lane can comment but these are very similar parks. Talk to those trail builders and get every nuance of information and bring it to Lewis Morris. The combination of machine and raw single-track in Gurney makes that park worth a visit. Also they have separated foot trails for folks who don't want be bothered with bikes. Very well thought out plan going on up there.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I remember hearing that in the past there was some kind of special training that needed to happen in order to do TM here. Maybe that can be simplified or eliminated to make it easier for people to help out and improve the park. I would love to lend a hand to bring this park back to life.

pretty sure thats monmouth county, not morris

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
One of the strategies with roots that I have seen out west (yellowstone, yosemite) is to fill
the wells with crushed stone. it stops the erosion caused by hike/bike loosening the dirt when wet,
then washing away. Very effective near the base of the trees - not so much away from them.

Sourlands has a massive root/erosion problem - along with trail braiding in the busier areas.
We've been routing trails on the high side of trees, then placing rocks to guide the trail farther up
(they do look like kickers when riding dh ;) )

BananaFred

Can you connect to Jockey Hollow (is MTB allowed)? Beyond the drainage, there is definitely the opportunity to cut up existing fallen trees to create more log rollovers (like at the top of the Yellow/Orange intersection).

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@DanBrodeen nailed it. Its a county park, convince them to allow a machine in there to build quality sustainable trails. Anyone here that has ridden Gurney lane can comment but these are very similar parks. Talk to those trail builders and get every nuance of information and bring it to Lewis Morris. The combination of machine and raw single-track in Gurney makes that park worth a visit. Also they have separated foot trails for folks who don't want be bothered with bikes. Very well thought out plan going on up there.
It's a good point to compare the size of LM with Gurney or even Nassau. We have been to Gurney 3-4 times, it's great. Small but the most fun hour you can have. LewMo has plenty of real estate to make the place amazing. I know people think it is too small but it's not. People trek across the state to Nassau, so it tells you what people will do for a good ride.

xc62701

Can you connect to Jockey Hollow (is MTB allowed)? Beyond the drainage, there is definitely the opportunity to cut up existing fallen trees to create more log rollovers (like at the top of the Yellow/Orange intersection).
You can if you want to meet a guy with an M16. They patrol there and take it very seriously.

xc62701

Well it is Monmouth for sure.

I have done TM in Morris county without the training. But that was when Sean Grady still lived in NJ.

Ive heard that about Monmouth.

Sounds about right. I may be a newer Morris county thing.

JPark

Gurney really is a nice park with great variety.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions