Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Free-dumb

So I bought both of these when I was in the hospital, hoping my insurance will reimburse me but we'll see.... One is the freedumb leg (right) , the other is the eye-walk 3.0 (left) . My God those names suck.
20230113_163902.jpg

The one on the left makes me feel like I'm a peg legged pirate... So I'll call it the captain Morgan.... The one on the right makes you walk like the terminator after he got flatted with that semi truck....

giphy.gif

So I'll call it the terminator....

So both of them have their uses and and are good at specific things....but after some testing in the past few days, dam you really do miss you factory stock leg.

So the captain Morgan is pretty easy to get on if your sitting down.... Takes maybe 30 seconds... But sitting with it really sucks... However it's good to plod around the house with. I have been using it to make coffee, breakfast, stuff where I need to stand and use my hands.... If I had to actually go anywhere... It's VERY slow. Also after like 15 minutes it's kinda painful

The terminator

So this one is a much bigger ass pain to get on.....plus its easy to not adjust it in just the right spot...which then makes it not work as well. It takes a couple minutes to get this on and fit right, however once its on it is the best at actually walking....and you can stand with it and be a little more comfortable. Once its on, all the weight is on your quad, so your foot is unloaded. On sunday my family wanted to go hike at the tourne....so I decided to join with this thing and my ski poles just for good measure. After a few minutes I was pretty comfortable so I decided to keep walking........ started up the hill to the top...which is maybe a 250ft climb from the side I was on. I have climb this hill many many times...on foot, on a bike, in the snow on a fat bike, on xc skis, in my ski boot with my dh skis on my back....this was probably the slowest and most challenging, but I must say it was pretty rewarding.
juv1yFXWTxjZC5ZLpRXNZ7W0ZwgDEeWCnONgoXDafcdnedZGLEuTqXAKaMvzvyhaw2bRjRYC20FCwLfclOTzFKF3GpisLXLKeQIaLCUkAFXO7X0YWRuLx8pVWKAaQSqnbdtqv5vX1DyoDmAY4uKOO-Jj98Mck5nXMAT7_8XkUqK05psVLdh3PY407Ifrho5BiB-VETnPgxIyuKjPcKNCynhA-a6Ro1pGY0BlD1IBbEnrzXYrSOvsibNdQyoPyqFbN4JJVSUYPmaBNas11Clch__zxmfUDjefy5Y7KpBRvPuLoCGH19JgXMQnxzytUmv9FaZpXCsFUFP9bJdyOq1gmeNBjKRP8BWIK7yniYJVkENU39Z0XdemNFyedx2r54AXS3RYeq_ca1LXy7umkzJVpqgvxHsp6_pnGYtY3o3fhBymxe4kwIBOcr_17jvzR0kJCZo-6VOD976ZJqouTHjxgjCm4jLG7P-wbyQYts0U7Iv7_QmI-yaTMfYqKP-SfxQf_jwdjsfRUQbmiJ8AfBjV8rbAdORXsLOUp-hU01RoOaF41jlCCt2B8uM41cGLj84mwBq8MiJde3zJRrCr8DG21qIVFcJOI9RxR0bip5p9RSPKYXg6EIMKdGlg004RxDqTo3RghgnLCyP3plCzTquswQc5sbqYe3wVIvHgvcRX-LXYFQwj6yxETGyCiB1oVQ3AjTijNwI_CtA2lFFe4eJAD1CquqO3nfqJARmsK_M3J9OId7fBJ3cOUwvMRu3n0MWjc5RFF5Jk6GNxBr5OUzLDi9Dz2j-uDs5wd-R_dmmyqgoj0OW6Y7q46ZjXAsi0lxbOWuQv0B6VDuVdMWzumqrbEb3oapf4UR7RYyyzXYVqDPD8salMgk4Kxu59A2Dm1cSv06O9F6YZlPsIXqV_v_30cOcuCUov5RNynKjZQauqpvk_rQ=w686-h914-no

Many passers by said I was brave for trying this....of course there is a fine line between brave and dumb...but I felt like with my ski poles I was pretty stable....made it back to the car without slowing the family down too much. It felt like a solid workout, especially for my left leg.

Biggest problem with the terminator is that you cant really sit with it on...so the minute you sit down, you have to take it off

So I find that the crutches are still what I travel with, quick and easy...but today I went into the store to get some coffee....(my mom was driving me and my son to his jujitsu class) and I had to bring the kid with me as you cant really hold anything in your hands with crutches.....but thats fine, I rather enjoy ordering him around.

I did do 120 push ups today, which made the crutches feel awesome afterwards.

I'd say the best news is that I have lost a couple of pounds since this mess started. In 06 I think I gained 30lbs when i broke my leg...Im well aware of this and have adjusted my diet accordingly

tumblr_ml4vd8Jki21s1clzao1_400.gif

One more week until I go and see the doc.....cant wait, this thing on my foot is starting to smell like burnt meatloaf.

Last edited:

serviceguy

You would back it out of the garage and then injure you back trying to turn it around in my driveway with no power steering :)
I’m not a big fan of driving other people’s cars. And this one, with all the significance attached to it for you? I would have a problem just looking at it!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Speaking of the mustang....

Something else im working.....This is one of those things im sharing with you because I feel like if I put it out there...I might be more motivated to get it done...

So I had this idea....I often go to car shows and see signs like this put in front of cars.....and I REALLY dislike these.
il_794xN.3853398638_456i.jpg

I mean just a whole bunch of "who gives a crap?"

I would never make one of these for my mustang....just seems so pretentious to anyone who knows about cars...and to those who don't...I cant imagine they would spend 5 seconds reading one of these.

I have taken my mustang to some car shows and I really enjoy talking to people about it.....but not that is a 67 fastback mustang, or maybe its worth xyz.....I will say that one of the best times I have had at a car show was a few years ago taking my mom to one...who is NOT a car person at all.....But as she looked at each car, she remembered...Oh, my sister had one of these in 68, and my friend had one of these...and it just produced many cool stories and memories....As in most American mass produced cars are not special....they made bazillions of them in factories that ran 24-7 by underpaid assembly line workers....they were about as special as the last Mcflurry you ordered from MacDonald's.....But, many of them have great stories as to why they are still here and not in a junkyard.

And that to me is what I really love about my mustang....I mean I love that its a 67 mustang and not a 76 pinto...but it has a story...actually many stories. Its been a part of my life and in many ways is has shaped my life. Its what first gave me my love of cars...taking an interest in it gave me this great way to bond with my dad....because of my interest, my dad spent alot of time working on cars with me and teaching me things.....anything we did with the mustang was a special kind of story....like my first home run in little league...I got taken out in the mustang to get ice cream for example....After he died and the car went to me....Working on the mustang was when I had the revelation that I didnt want to be a car mechanic and I had to find another career path...which lead me to engineering.....Becoming an engineer is what I feel ultimately gave me the tools I needed to complete this 30+ year long dream I had of restoring this car.

So how do I convey on one of those sign boards why I feel like this "Mcflurry" of a car is something more than a bunch of letters and numbers that most people could care less about? I thought about this....I suppose I could write a book about this story...but whose reading that? Especially at a car show....I guess I could make a picture album....which I see, and mostly they are pictures of the restoration...which is mildly interesting..it got me thinking, I dont have many pictures of this car before the mid 80s anyway....id have to make them....and then I got another idea..

I have stories, and pictures in my head....What if made a comic book? I feel like many of these stories are comical....Like my earliest memory of the mustang was when I was roughly 5 years old or so....My dad took my next door neighbor and me for a ride....we went down the street to the new cul de sac....he then decided to do a burnout...broke the driveshaft and we proceeded to walk home......Many years later when the car became mine and I was fixing it....I discovered that my dad half ass fixed the driveshaft...it was still REALLY bent...which destroyed the transmission mount and the pinion bearings....This made me wonder...Was my Dad a bit of a hack? Probably lol.

Anyway...so this is my idea....I started by writing ideas for pages....I have many so far, I figured I would just write ALL of them, then go back and pick the best ones....But in reality, its like a timelime of the car and my life. Now the major problem would of course be that I have 0.0 artist abilities. I certainly can't draw a comic that anyone would want to look at....but I had a few ideas on how to work around this.

ebarker9

That is a great idea and makes me think of the movie "Love the Beast", if you've never seen it. It's about Eric Bana and a group of his friends and how events in their lives relate back to his first car. Worth a watch.

serviceguy

Something else im working.....This is one of those things im sharing with you because I feel like if I put it out there...I might be more motivated to get it done...

So I had this idea....I often go to car shows and see signs like this put in front of cars.....and I REALLY dislike these.

I would never make one of these for my mustang....just seems so pretentious to anyone who knows about cars...and to those who don't...I cant imagine they would spend 5 seconds reading one of these.

I have taken my mustang to some car shows and I really enjoy talking to people about it.....but not that is a 67 fastback mustang, or maybe its worth xyz.....I will say that one of the best times I have had at a car show was a few years ago taking my mom to one...who is NOT a car person at all.....But as she looked at each car, she remembered...Oh, my sister had one of these in 68, and my friend had one of these...and it just produced many cool stories and memories....As in most American mass produced cars are not special....they made bazillions of them in factories that ran 24-7 by underpaid assembly line workers....they were about as special as the last Mcflurry you ordered from MacDonald's.....But, many of them have great stories as to why they are still here and not in a junkyard.

And that to me is what I really love about my mustang....I mean I love that its a 67 mustang and not a 76 pinto...but it has a story...actually many stories. Its been a part of my life and in many ways is has shaped my life. Its what first gave me my love of cars...taking an interest in it gave me this great way to bond with my dad....because of my interest, my dad spent alot of time working on cars with me and teaching me things.....anything we did with the mustang was a special kind of story....like my first home run in little league...I got taken out in the mustang to get ice cream for example....After he died and the car went to me....Working on the mustang was when I had the revelation that I didnt want to be a car mechanic and I had to find another career path...which lead me to engineering.....Becoming an engineer is what I feel ultimately gave me the tools I needed to complete this 30+ year long dream I had of restoring this car.

So how do I convey on one of those sign boards why I feel like this "Mcflurry" of a car is something more than a bunch of letters and numbers that most people could care less about? I thought about this....I suppose I could write a book about this story...but whose reading that? Especially at a car show....I guess I could make a picture album....which I see, and mostly they are pictures of the restoration...which is mildly interesting..it got me thinking, I dont have many pictures of this car before the mid 80s anyway....id have to make them....and then I got another idea..

I have stories, and pictures in my head....What if made a comic book? I feel like many of these stories are comical....Like my earliest memory of the mustang was when I was roughly 5 years old or so....My dad took my next door neighbor and me for a ride....we went down the street to the new cul de sac....he then decided to do a burnout...broke the driveshaft and we proceeded to walk home......Many years later when the car became mine and I was fixing it....I discovered that my dad half ass fixed the driveshaft...it was still REALLY bent...which destroyed the transmission mount and the pinion bearings....This made me wonder...Was my Dad a bit of a hack? Probably lol.

Anyway...so this is my idea....I started by writing ideas for pages....I have many so far, I figured I would just write ALL of them, then go back and pick the best ones....But in reality, its like a timelime of the car and my life. Now the major problem would of course be that I have 0.0 artist abilities. I certainly can't draw a comic that anyone would want to look at....but I had a few ideas on how to work around this.
My suggestion is that whatever you decide to do, if you have stories that are still fresh in your mind about your dad and the car...write them down, record your own voice while your telling the stories...just make sure to leave a tangible memory of them. When I was a kid, my dad used to tell me all his father's war stories from Libya (1911-17) and WWI (1915-18), and while I still have a vague recollection of them, he remembered so many details and little twists to the main theme that made them really interesting and kind of proved their authenticity. And yes, I'm that old. Now that he's gone so are all those details, people and events and I can't forgive myself for not have cared enough to preserve them, in spite having him in my life until he was well past 85, as his memory and mental acuity did not leave him until his 90s. I still have my uncle alive, but he's 80+ and lives across the pond, so...but I digressed and made it about me, sorry about that but you hit a nerve with your post and I had to share.

Back to your dilemma, if you can draw cartoons that would be a great, original way to record those stories. I bet Bob would definitely realized he has the coolest dad in the State, but he probably knows that already! Oh, and I wood read it!

Lastly...when I saw the picture in your post and you mentioned that you had a new project I thought...no f**king way he's painting the car red!

Last edited:

kdebello

The story is what makes the car. Through the entire resto of your car, the stories and your personal connection are what I was most interested in.

I had a 69 Coronet R/T convertible for a few years. The only car I've had that I didn't do the work on myself. Bought it 95% finished. It was the nicest car I've owned and the most valuable. I loved it for what it was but there was no real connection to it. I miss it, but not as much as the first car I owned, or others that I spent many hours in the garage working on.

One of my best friends owns a 70 Charger R/T. I'm biased but it is one of the most correct and perfect examples in the country. A beautiful car, won tons of awards, been in magazines, special exhibits at Carlisle. The thing that is most interesting about the car is the story, how he bought it, restored it himself, then restored it again after an accident going to it's first show. He's been through a lot with the car, he's done every bit of work including body, paint and every detail. As awesome as the car is, the story behind it is what makes it special.

The comic book idea is great. I would definitely stop and read that over a sign board with specs of the car. A combo of artwork and any pictures you have from the past or things you found during the resto. That is something that not only makes it interesting, but makes you remember that specific car and what went into it.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

So I had this idea....I often go to car shows and see signs like this put in front of cars.....and I REALLY dislike these
I wonder how many people make those signs because they just get tired of the dumb questions and maybe the sign answers them.

I joke about it, but completely serious that the completely stupid questions I would get owning mid-60's cars made me want to get rid of them. Couldn't go to a gas station without someone starting to talk to me and say something stupid like "Yeah I had one of those. Except it was a Chevy and not a Ford" and continue rambling while I'm trying to leave.

serviceguy

I wonder how many people make those signs because they just get tired of the dumb questions and maybe the sign answers them.

I joke about it, but completely serious that the completely stupid questions I would get owning mid-60's cars made me want to get rid of them. Couldn't go to a gas station without someone starting to talk to me and say something stupid like "Yeah I had one of those. Except it was a Chevy and not a Ford" and continue rambling while I'm trying to leave.
Or worse...
X241fR.gif

rick81721

Lothar

Those boards are common at shows down here. If it's an unusual car or interesting build I will look at them.

If you are looking for an artist - my hourly rates are very competitive!

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
3 weeks down....MANY to go.

So I did have at little action on my ankle this week....Got new xrays and saw the surgeon on tuesday. Finally got my cast off and got to see my leg again.....as you can see my right calf is like gone now...which I expected.
1674833195323.png

The scar is pretty gnarly.

1674833285992.png

Anyway...the good news...He said everything looks great, no issues...bones are healing.
The bad news....which I knew already..
No weight on my foot for 12 weeks....so that means 9 more weeks of the terminator leg....
RelievedMistyAfricanpiedkingfisher-size_restricted.gif

he did give me a script to start physical therapy...I went for the first time yesterday. This is not very intense obviously, but its something. After 24 hrs of making circles with my ankle, I have to say, im kind of surprised how how well its moving...as im sitting here on my couch making circles with both ankles....they arent the same yet, but the only restrictions im feeling seems because of the swelling.

I will say that this is the lightest I have been in January in many years. I have been really careful with what im eating and since I cant eat while on crutches...and the terminator leg take a while to get on....I find that I dont need to eat as often lol

Driving...
So the doctor said absolutely not with regards to driving with my broken foot. However, he didnt say anything about driving with my hands...So with that in mind I decided to pick up some hand controls for my car. This is also due to the fact that my mom was helping me get my son to and from school on days when my wife is working (no busses in my town). We unfortunately she had an appendicitis last week and spent a few days in the hospital. Shes ok at the moment, but she going to have to have it removed in a few weeks. So I needed some back up way to get around if need be.
1674830503518-png.205817

Now I did ask my wife if she would switch cars with me...take my focus to work and let me use the automatic subaru....she refused...so no problem...Little harder doing this with a manual, but not too bad. Getting started on a steep hill requires a little practice, but I figured it out. And yes...this is perfectly legal.

TommyF

That's some scare joe!! I started PT today for my knee injury, thankfully got off the crutches last week but still have a bit of a limp when I walk and getting in and out of the car is still challenging. Going to be a while before I'm back out there, get well soon, I know what your going through in regards to mobility.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not so hard....

Of course, my dad showed me how to drive a manual when I was 10....He used to let me drive his 3500 dually GMC tow truck around his gas station....but by then I had a dirt bike, so I understood the concept of a manual.....Then I have worked driving all kinds of vehicles...fork lifts, snow plows, back hoe...my old box truck had a 10 speed eaton fuller that used an air splitter...before that the other truck I drove had a 5 speed with a 2 speed rear......I've even driven a column shifted manual bronco...in short, I got this...no worries.

Top Bottom