Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Week 9....I think I see land in the distance

I remember when the doctor told me 12 weeks non weight bearing....it was like Chinese spy balloon level of deflation....its not easy or fun...Especially when you know that one little screw can start the whole process all over again...you have to be so careful...

Back on the 21st of feb I saw the ortho again. He said that everything looks great, my fibula and tibia are now healed, but since all of my tendons and ligaments are gone, there would be no change to my non weight bearing status. I have been going to physical therapy, but there isnt much they can do yet other than ankle mobility.

Almost daily I run into someone who asks me about my terminator leg brace......6 different PT people randomly, and 2 doctors....countless others...nobody have ever seen or heard of this thing which took me exactly 1 second to find on google. Go figure. What does that tell me? Well what I always say....when it comes to your health, you MUST always be your own advocate.

I received permission to swim, so I joined a gym with a pool and rowing machines. @Bluepony421 aka full face Pat told me about how he used to row with 1 leg when he broke his tib/fib. I like rowing, so I stole some plastic lid from my son and place my foot on it so it slide and row with 1 leg. Its not biking but its a decent workout. So far I have gotten my best 1000 meter set to 4:10 which I think is decent for a 1 legged gimp anyway.

I have never swam a day in my life for exercise......only bc the water was too deep for me to touch anymore. So I started by seeing if I could swim for 15min without stopping...then 20, now im up to 30min.....just breast/back stroke....I can do it, but im REALLY slow. My wife would run laps around me, which is why im going to have her join me since she used to be a swim instructor.

Getting dressed in the morning, taking showers, trying to find rides to and from my office totally sucks ass.

My calf muscle is now GONE...this is weeks ago, its worse now
1678210638025.png

When I broke my leg I was non weight bearing for 2.5 weeks and it took a long time before I could walk right again.....I cant even fathom what this will be like.

But there have been some really great things that have happened......

I have gotten back into lifting weights, and while I dont have the best routine at the moment, I can do alot given I have one working leg I think

I have not gained any weight which has been really important to me.

MOSTLY THO.....We have made 3 weekend trips to Wyndham to ski....while I sat around and did nothing, my wife spent the day skiing with my son. I have known my wife since 2002....and we have dated since 2005.....our first date was a day skiing/snowboarding....she could make a couple of runs before being exhausted....This only got worse thru the years...after my son was born, it got far worse....at times I used to sit and wonder what life would be like after my wife was gone...thats how sick she was day after day. Since WE (@Dominos mostly....not her doctors) figured out that she had Addisons and its now being treated.....she is a completely new person. She wanted to learn to ski and while I she is still learning, she has totally taken over for me in my down time. Like I was hoping for a few runs, but she will be out there dragging him around all day. But skiing is one thing....my wife is not really a biker. That said, she has just taken my tallboy and dragged my son to the tourne, dickerson mine, etc......Then started going on rides by herself. Putting my bike on her car and saying...peace out, going riding. Like who are you and what did you do with my wife??? Then two weeks ago spending 3 solid days all day riding at Rays...

1678210534806.png

1678210601590.png

While I will further recap this....but also just spending 6 days in Utah where she and my son skied all day every day.

Ill tell you all right now, no question...I would break my ankle again tomorrow if I knew this would have happened....Worth every bit of this.

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Week 9....I think I see land in the distance

I remember when the doctor told me 12 weeks non weight bearing....it was like Chinese spy balloon level of deflation....its not easy or fun...Especially when you know that one little screw can start the whole process all over again...you have to be so careful...

Back on the 21st of feb I saw the ortho again. He said that everything looks great, my fibula and tibia are now healed, but since all of my tendons and ligaments are gone, there would be no change to my non weight bearing status. I have been going to physical therapy, but there isnt much they can do yet other than ankle mobility.

Almost daily I run into someone who asks me about my terminator leg brace......6 different PT people randomly, and 2 doctors....countless others...nobody have ever seen or heard of this thing which took me exactly 1 second to find on google. Go figure. What does that tell me? Well what I always say....when it comes to your health, you MUST always be your own advocate.

I received permission to swim, so I joined a gym with a pool and rowing machines. @Bluepony421 aka full face Pat told me about how he used to row with 1 leg when he broke his tib/fib. I like rowing, so I stole some plastic lid from my son and place my foot on it so it slide and row with 1 leg. Its not biking but its a decent workout. So far I have gotten my best 1000 meter set to 4:10 which I think is decent for a 1 legged gimp anyway.

I have never swam a day in my life for exercise......only bc the water was too deep for me to touch anymore. So I started by seeing if I could swim for 15min without stopping...then 20, now im up to 30min.....just breast/back stroke....I can do it, but im REALLY slow. My wife would run laps around me, which is why im going to have her join me since she used to be a swim instructor.

Getting dressed in the morning, taking showers, trying to find rides to and from my office totally sucks ass.

My calf muscle is now GONE...this is weeks ago, its worse now
w1-fOQBGYuM3awG1p8ZaW9BZLqiX2emVf3vefyTh7GbWAEP1GQu5IR56kG2CgJwKtINef4kx8_kYzqFR-77VeIfD2oaAaxRNfuQXEKM5milBYzL-6AUyLqMYkpzXOKPHY0-qC4cI2ETwOVPrHAcz7WLPbIWyrBWOhJp7wUNcUVGNuZ6KvGmcq8BUOEnszZCerVQVpW7VVVUfQvNMzPk17AAAJzhdsphgQ5QIOsU6AaLbdeYpzBE2TvOOGg4Eum4cvcFkdgyHiGSyqTSNjRmhcwaMRJgeWeWU6v3ezLc4TleqgcnjFNekcqfloeOhmgCA3n_8gSlxVXSxKUQYqBNilkA_WbtY9k6WdEiPqfpbavD8v6uP1QxoXT4HJml-JI7yZdswUlRmBu8crnGhQQ99hi921A4hMewY5zXp2ppcpjoUPKOLusm0CbLqXEt2NmBUjte2k5P3GYTVIyyVAWcAh3sAZDdkoPXaK8lSTBsWWHtncmPPz0HINfLUkfWw_i37R1DNOTdplBjiSmXJIH1LzZN6e1VTLcr2swgcebh4PAVwSnDkdiHHbJIX1y0UUNwYZRJrjyhZfsw4-0swWmSnBxJHaDpZHQ9bZ9g6vUBVOLeDJrCdq_yYUuwGt23Cs1QZomYdsVZFlhpH4FBIwjLfnX7bJ7fvlqwycXIGavw0Hc5IgcfIRbIATFR0dY8_MtAnvXK1Zjyo-a_wS1Vgy-Lyhz853pStVxLQiqW4Y6LgH3GecLHrFEY7EgALbOLy4lHtEtGxdyzT0kOT5XiLZAe7GhDUg0bUcf_l_XNLHdaZHptE_E3tPButLogB6gyoYmpSIyJ7CFKwwkCLcbpeNGKkBjbbXwfAZv_OY-wypp0GH505hsI5edIi1N-XoSayewpx9S3yPtfzVIv07_rwQCPF4Zc_VY7QKpca12Y306mrxlViuQ=w599-h1329-no

When I broke my leg I was non weight bearing for 2.5 weeks and it took a long time before I could walk right again.....I cant even fathom what this will be like.

But there have been some really great things that have happened......

I have gotten back into lifting weights, and while I dont have the best routine at the moment, I can do alot given I have one working leg I think

I have not gained any weight which has been really important to me.

MOSTLY THO.....We have made 3 weekend trips to Wyndham to ski....while I sat around and did nothing, my wife spent the day skiing with my son. I have known my wife since 2002....and we have dated since 2005.....our first date was a day skiing/snowboarding....she could make a couple of runs before being exhausted....This only got worse thru the years...after my son was born, it got far worse....at times I used to sit and wonder what life would be like after my wife was gone...thats how sick she was day after day. Since WE (@Dominos mostly....not her doctors) figured out that she had Addisons and its now being treated.....she is a completely new person. She wanted to learn to ski and while I she is still learning, she has totally taken over for me in my down time. Like I was hoping for a few runs, but she will be out there dragging him around all day. But skiing is one thing....my wife is not really a biker. That said, she has just taken my tallboy and dragged my son to the tourne, dickerson mine, etc......Then started going on rides by herself. Putting my bike on her car and saying...peace out, going riding. Like who are you and what did you do with my wife??? Then two weeks ago spending 3 solid days all day riding at Rays...

0D6Z_3qe2J98MbKLy0cSqQpAJ4OFZEF4FbTQEzA38vu2li8iYrsjypmb0sNc2SamxQP-wv9WPFV4HGL5NggWI07nuGTF3Cbf3zi8LvuTmkrPDP6B8UpsmF2KA1p6Cq4Uy_q3AU_DKgKNJhag-pKQdXNGbHOLzCT4XTeZzGyCE3KQULXHuHyWvq56uI0w0R4BW4wKrVGxjJzVbIgfyz0Y9i25HibSfEPK7vjp-kIRrdZiO4228ykIc8Gw5JbHHRF6GXmR93-CmKzMMZp_K9lV2RY4wLStgt0WBJFZvzHotWddP_UzIk190H_4yIaQ3ENhkco-ymht77Uxw_phUd9TtGFLIeytK-_Yvw0ezky_w_LFwlz9cqVgeWPIjPBNEN7n9D6f5jPZ5mGklfvpO-pa9nHMdojaW7sosKfBT1V6sA9yQTRW365fJSb2QRCoe38QvO7MOvNq1MWnfsdQ-z4nPunrwmx4Twzrq4d9dOGqrPjGa-nTtxZ-CMhlMI8GDLnRZvttdAnZHMbB4W70H9ffJZMM7CWluw-Ue8jtFQACrcPBG72KWC8l1LU_yidpIJTGnbiOjWPjlHCAWPYiZDUn3gVJfv7o9LwROOky3DEtkmei86tSiaN2rkezgD-TNO31XpR6AN3wQzegbef5UHTl_E11GzaQkaZsi1q3_oox2x2bK5GkG8AuOv3Rn0tzkBXvfK5UhZ5mUzv91qHxJ1BHGMfgETYa7M5MYmCh6vmmNzqZuYSb34SD_ZHANZbnGNzYmCThunkQfZt41Gqiy1hYS_PpjdqsuseDYYPfWZipRxX3OEFBNiAo9rxum7tougFbPz3iJKnrGBheFB0riKe22qn56Gzb8umTKEVlJMdbUmuOowiKNzuVRtuMhsVBCv0onYhh4JfzcpoIzY8QNH3q2gMfGbw9T7SLXIaZl8xvLGlcAg=w2560-h1152-no

2cyD1NFhgqCN0GfeFkfFVySn2PtweuZxe9JCctNem5lxzFQrgnIXdGTB2lCFSkznGz6SkQ18s2NLKtq-um7hMeAmJ2rnNmyB2MDD1q-MF0WNzuihRf5CEfhdnx4pcD9bJ4IX0zctnvWV_l6ghyLkqyviunl-zIjiusaYevQVqTgldD_Lbm8WerKzxXTXK8aw9zgGF1i0JjJhRwnvBScjuZxhL6xbVzJ25EBqAPpshh5W2NY23jv1KEpAwNHX-9U9N6cQASXC6zLLUKkEH9K2-c3EPN32i7rxqNLz0K1mUl6z7XyFMEIW58ZecmBvsHLp6FyiXsnLwYShWYafjwOnoguRss8MD-jcYMYyUZbhcZ-Xybf-heMBGWJtgMtQeFZ2pE1EM-1YwpJfPYCjOe3kBhEKqKn7teYZNPDAWveQlwJXLs8CuMJQPJ4FfyB_7tOKwO5rt86LOX8eM3N35O1PQEcEFS6S0ZHdYkH5VhXzlgpTT8LMaw47eHyc-AXLTQ0B1f_qcV0e3YdJ0shcXkEvp4_3yCBcj2j45cyCe7y2aoDZ5GB7H6rJj-2MarTsUxcu0kaJlp5sDsB27BMeY-H0_zpPxcDFfSIyVQQtzmfeMP22UmURyEDWJHAnVGS2At3wcNNFwCQQKQgY5msjF_ZyHmdPWcJpPha4Rk2z1nHtK-4Qoc-p3Fx0lbgtOmArEcOI9kPSSdlF3dU-uiqGM0h1t9FkVmJtTskrYyjO_6DWLjGmNljrGrVm9sLRIrrbow7b_5X25PrsmKsRlLqH5LX_F0JSSLNFHjddFLunpc4kvv3goAvFDhMOEjP_JZMgWLgZzPiBTHwmDBCq9g0zfEzVVN26HcgWl4Z5RMWcyYpnjwBkL3uQ1siVCGY954WsVJ62J1gM1DG7UEC6TlkAkPTlj4RzbFGYFyrjNMazPwoppleCNw=w2560-h1154-no

While I will further recap this....but also just spending 6 days in Utah where she and my son skied all day every day.

Ill tell you all right now, no question...I would break my ankle again tomorrow if I knew this would have happened....Worth every bit of this.
Do whatever @Bluepony421 tells you if it involves fitness. Dude really does know his stuff. I wish I had your attitude when I ripped my calf muscle in half. I never really recovered from that physically because I let it get to me mentally. It's been cool watching you stay active and work around it. It's really easy to sink into a hole when you get injured.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Utah in Utah

Its been a while....Since like a couple weeks before the pandemic since I have been to Utah. Longer stretch than I like, but is what it is. This trip was special tho...I have been in @Norm ear about skiing in the Utah forever and ever now....Annoying so...Like im surprised he didn't just boycott it to spite me. So finally after all of these years dying to give him @2Julianas @Dominique and @MurderBort a proper utah tour.....What happens? I break my leg and cant ski. Im not religious, but if there is a god...Maybe its god's way of saying....Remember all those times you and your dad would be dressed to ski on sunday...and your mormon step brothers and sisters would be in their church suits....PISSED off they had to sit in church all day while we skied....oh and for good measure your heathen father would love to rub it in by saying "Hey, pray for more snow while you are at church today" PEACE OUT SUCKERS! They used to say back to my dad...Whatever, you're going to hell...and my dad would say...And ill be skiing down volcanos with all of my friends!

Anyway, ya so maybe god has decided to SMITE me by banishing me to the interiors of various ski lodges. But am I going to let that get me down, hell no. Now that my wife is all about skiing, I was excited for them to have a great trip. I was 8 when I first skied utah....Bob has gotten to ski it once before, but he would get to do a little more this time and I was excited for him.

The flight out....well it was nice that I got wheeled thru the airport in a wheelchair...however during the pat down, whatever was on my hands set off the explosives detector...I have no idea why, but that was 30min of further examinations before they would let me on the plane....then our connecting flight was delayed for 4 hours bc of the California storms...anyway, we didn't get to the house until 3am...or 5am NJ time, or 13am in Italy. But we got up at 6am with the crew anyway and headed to snowbasin. I had never been to snowbasin....When I lived in utah it was a ride to get there, and pre OlympicsI mean it was pretty small compared to the places that were within 20min.....kinda like asking me...Hey utah, why havent you ridden Clayton yet? ill get there someday.

it was snowing like hell and there wasnt much to see from the top, so I went back down and sat in the lodge.....

1678210481572.png

Anyway, I was bored, sitting around.....I kept thinking about getting a ski and trying to ski on one ski....Which I know I can do....my only concern was...."could I hurt myself somehow? hmmm" I ran this idea past my wife who said something to the affect of "if you hurt yourself more I will KILL you" Ok, so that wasnt really the answer I was looking for....So instead I asked my go to for inspiration.....Her highness... @muddybike. Who thought it would be a great idea. Becuase much like me, Kris knows that sometimes stupid ideas make great memories....And I remember every stupid thing my dad ever did.....and I thought to myself...Bob will remember his idiot father skiing on 1 ski. So with that I walked into the rental shop. In NJ im sure I would have been thrown out in 1 second...But these guys were awesome and they LOVED my idea. Even gave me half off on the rental.

I was a little nervous about it at first....I can ski just fine on one ski....When I lived in park city, we used to have 1 ski races for fun....im not saying to spend your day doing it....but its not as hard as you might think. But those times I really didnt care if my foot hit the ground or I crashed...now I had to be a little more careful. I just took the easiest chair....getting off the lift is hard, but after 30 seconds or so I remembered how to do it....once I had it down, I had robert come ski with me. Truly made my day to do this with him.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
None of your pics are coming through

View attachment 208870
So usually I can right click and copy images from my google photos....not copy link....I guess thats not working anymore....I fixed them.
Do whatever @Bluepony421 tells you if it involves fitness. Dude really does know his stuff. I wish I had your attitude when I ripped my calf muscle in half. I never really recovered from that physically because I let it get to me mentally. It's been cool watching you stay active and work around it. It's really easy to sink into a hole when you get injured.
your still young, when I would hurt myself at your age, I took it alot harder. Took some years to put things in proper perspective. You just have to stop and think to yourself...SOMETHING good will come out of this. It takes time to see what that is....but its usually something

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Monday we went to deer valley....Well me, norm, D, the boys, Allison and Robert.....They dont allow those knuckle dragging snowboarding TYPES there......so Alex and Mark went to brighton.

Deer valley is very posh of course. When I was in HS, my two closest friends mothers worked in the silver lake lodge....It was awesome, not only would we ski for free, we would fill our trays with food and just walk past them and not pay lol. In fact, if you consider my ikon pass...I have never paid once to ski at deer valley. Even better was my HS friend Mindy...her parents business was taking care of rich peoples houses in deer valley...like REALLY rich people...she would take me to some of these houses and they were so insane....I remember one having a surburban and an audi in the garagethey were both 4-5 years old and only had ~1000 miles on them....they just bought them to go with the house lol.

Anyway, while everyone was skiing, I walked over to the Stein Erikson lodge...Met up with my old HS friend Nick who was in town visiting his mom. I try to meet up with him whenever I get the chance....he lives in San Diago now and enjoys texting me on January mornings about how its sunny and 70 at his house. Whatever, we had $30 cheeseburgers at Steins and he payed :)
1678221358155.png

Afterwards, I found a couch to hang out on, and spent the rest of the day waiting for the crew to finish up.

The following day I was pretty excited for as we decided to go to snowbird.....Snowbird is probably one of my all time favorite places to ski....If im taking people to Utah, its my favorite tour destination....The drive thru the jagged canyon road, the concrete avalanche proof bunkers with lodges...the tram, the cliffs....Its just very visually striking.

So since it snowed about 2 feet the night before, we thought it would easier to get up the canyon on the bus. Plus we wouldn't have to pay for parking. So we line up at the bus stop and its like...OH PLEASE LET US ALL FIT ON THIS BUS SO WE DONT HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!!!. Well, we did, but JUST barely. This was not a comfy Greyhound where every got their own seats and went to sleep....We were all crammed in there like cattle, in full ski gear, standing and holding skis....Well, seeing as I am a pathetic looking mess with a Forrest Gump leg brace....I was given a seat. It wasnt a COMFORTABLE seat tho. 1 minute after we all jammed into this bus, the driver said..."Hey assholes, guess what...the canyon road is closed...HAHAHA YOU FUCKING IDIOTS...now you have to stand on this bus" We decided to wait and after 10min or so, the road opened and we left the parking lot. In all of my years of driving to snowbird/alta....I have only ever been stopped at the base of the canyon...as if, if the gates are open, its open....Like the POINT of the gates is to keep people off of the road because avalanches can and do cover the roadway. Anyway, they let us thru the gates, so in my mind, we were golden....NOT....maybe halfway thru we stopped and waited...and WAITED....I remember when I lived in Utah a bus had been wiped out by an avalanche in the canyon....I cant remember if anyone died, but I can still see the image of that bus brushed off the road laying in snow like it was a toy. There was a women sitting next to me, she was nice enough but her breath was like rotting skunk flesh...JFC...so as we sat and waited...15,20,30min...she informed me that she had to use the bathroom.....as if I was going to provide one for her. Then asked me what she was going to do.....sigh...Im like well, I suppose you could GET OFF THE BUS TO PEE. So she proceeded to leave the bus, climb over the ~6ft high snow bank and give the other riders a show that im glad I missed. Finally, after 45min or so, we got moving......Hopefully this will be my last bus ride for the next 500 years.

Then we finally got to snowbird...and there was snow, a shit ton of it
1678221691673.png

1678377576143.png

I was hoping to be able to ride the Tram to the top with the crew....but it wasnt running, so everyone left to head down to the lift that was....I hung around by the tram hoping it would open....Finally at lunch time it did....So I sat with the crew, we ate, headed to the tram just in time for them to close it due to wind. So they all left again and I wondered around trying to find something to do....

My wife and son finally came back...my wife was all amped up because my son decided to take her down a black diamond run....he thought this was funny...QUIETLY, so did I...my wife didnt find it so funny tho. Anyway, he was loving Snowbird, but my doesnt like it so much. Its not the most beginner friendly place :)
bob on said black diamond run....my wife up above yelling at him
1678377734439.png

Finally, the tram opened back up so I got in line as I wanted to go up top....as I got to the front, the guy informed me that since it was windy, no 1 legged gimps allowed....and ill tell you...I fucking HATE when people tell me I cant do stuff. This guy told me....well if the tram cant run, they would have to take you down on a snowmobile and YOU would hate that ride....Im like Noooo, I love snowmobiles, where do I sign up? i'll drive the fucking thing. Im also a little salty that after buying insurance on my Ikon pass, they totally fucked me over, so I want to use it as much as possible.

Well, in the end...my son had a great day....The crew had a great day...Zac skied into the Cirque and had the reaction I expected he would....like that first time you ride sidewinder...so it was all good.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wednesday is snowed again, this time we decided to drive to Brighton because fuck buses....we took two cars for EXTRA environmental destruction. Brighton and Solitude do not get the press and accolades that Snowbird and Alta do, but they are also fantastic. They also get a metric shit ton of snow...

This is riding the little conveyor belt at the bottom of the mountain...as I was in the lodge I kept see the top of helmets moving by so I had to go get a look...

I hung out for a while, at lunch time everyone came back and had smile 6 feet wide.....From what i could see, it did look like amazing conditions. At lunch time, the sun came out and for a brief moment, it stopped snowing....then the clouds returned and it was a blizzard again

1678378187945.png

I wondered around and noticed that the rental had those sno-go bikes.....this looked interesting as it had a platform to stand on....After some thinking, I asked the guy if he would let me stand on one....He set it up and I tried it in the shop....felt like I could do it...But to rent one, the rules were that I had to take a lesson....ok, fine. So they sent to the ski school area where they proceeded to crap all over my idea. 3 people...."pretty sure you can't do it" Now my first reaction is always...OUT THE WAY MOTHER FUCKER, WATCH THIS! But by now it was 230, there really wasnt much time left in the day, so I just let it go. Everyone had a great time, my son got my wife to ski thru the woods with him and he had a ball, so all good...

The next day...FINALLY, it stopped snowing after 4 days and like 60inches. Not that I dont love the snow, but as a gimp, I just want to go up top and see the views. On this day, we decided to go to deer valley while @Norm @2Julianas @Dominique and company went to Alta. They let me ride the lift that takes you midway up Deer valley, but when I went to get on the next lift I was stopped....No rides for you gimpy. Again I got a bit of attitude....how would get back down? Come back when you can ski....While the other days it was a blizzard and there was nothing to see up top, this day was amazing, and I wanted to see the view...its quite awesome. So, I made my way to the rental shop and once again the guys there were totally awesome....Gave me a boot and a ski, free of charge and sent me on my way.

With that I went right back to the lift.....and like the asshole that I am informed the guy who stopped me that I was back with a ski. He looked at me and said, "you're going to ski like that?" I said..."I am"... "Want to race???"....my implication being: GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!!!!! In the nicest way possible...

LONG LIVE LANE MYER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made a few runs like this with the family....it was awesome. While I maintain that skiing on 1 ski isnt overly difficult, it does require some focus..which was being broken by my son's constant: DAD WATCH THIS!!! ARE YOU WATCHING????.

Afterwards we stopped for lunch...the guy at the table next to me noticed that I had a ski boot on 1 foot and my leg brace on the other....Id say he was in his 60s....he told me a story about how in 1969, his dad too him to sun valley and broke his leg on the first day, then skied with him on 1 leg after that....And I said to him..."see, you remember this story 50 years later and thats why im doing it." My wife told me later that Bob couldnt stop talking about how I skied on 1 ski with them, etc....made it all worth it...I dont think he will ever forget this trip. Anyway, after my left leg was good and tired I camped out in front of the lodge and enjoyed the sun.....3 different people sat next to me in the next couple of hours, all of whom lived in NJ....Go figure

1678381666542.png

1678381750491.png

Oh im throwing this in for good measure...my Dad sitting in these same chairs, in front of the same lodge in 1989
1678381942372.png

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Finally, land has been spotted in the distance....

Well its been 3 months....and FINALLY I got to see my ortho with the hope of getting some good news.
Z0zNDtm.jpeg

Finally, its healed up enough to start putting some weight on it. doc says my bones look good and I can put 50lbs on my foot for now. AND I can drive now!

While this sounds awesome, and it is....its also a pain in the ass because now I need to stop using my brace and go back to the crutches. So weird touching my foot to the ground after holding it up for 3 solid months.

Left the docs office where my mom was waiting....as I told her: "Great news! I can drive again....now give me your keys" Holy hell, I love my mother but she scares the shit of me behind the wheel.

So today was my first real PT session.....lot of bending and prying....but first up, 5 whole minutes on the stationary bike....I hopped on and instantly recalled 2006 when I broke my leg....I was told to ride one of these...I hated it so much I borrowed a bike from my friend....the rest is history. Anyway, nothing crazy in PT, but it was nice to move around a little.

My doctor was fine with my riding bikes, so I decided to ride bikes to my sons Jujitsu class rather than drive. It meant that I had to pack my leg brace so I could walk around after I got there, but whatever, I was stoked to ride with Bob again.
8cbuTcL.jpeg

man do i miss riding bikes with this kid. On the way home he started describing to me all of the steps of the ~300ft climb back to my house....as if I hadnt ridden it 5000 times before....it was rather entertaining

Anyway....so its not much, but its something.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So 2 weeks since I finally got the ok to put some weight on my foot.

I went from 50, to 100, tomorrow morning means 150lbs.....

While I can't "walk" yet...I still need crutches for that....I did get the ok to ditch the boot as much as possible. Goal now is to try and build some strength back into my leg.

I have been hitting the gym pretty much 5-6 days a week since February. While I havent been able to do any cardio wise that is on the scale of say..."your average wildcat ride" I have been lifting weights, rowing and swimming. I can do alot more dips and pushups that I could before breaking my leg.

So once I got to 100lbs, I could do a little actual work with my leg. Some weights, using my snorkeling fins in the pool, using both feet on the rowing machine and of course riding bikes!!!

Finally got to ride on dirt again with bob....this was pretty amazing...even if I did have to wear my boot.
messages_0.jpeg

At 100lbs, I can sit on the bike and pedal fine, but standing up isnt easy, especially with the walking boot. So going downhill kinda sucked, but whatever. Felt so good to be out again.

I have also been riding my trainer....rather then do workouts and such, for now I set up my powermeter pedals to just display what percentage im pedaling with each leg.....I just try and keep it 50/50 for now. I was at 130w max that I could hold with both legs at 50/50 when I started....as my range of motion is improving, this is getting better.

messages_0 (1).jpeg

Saturday I did my first ride....no boot, with my clipless pedals to the tourne and back. I was going to take the road bike, but I didnt feel like taking it off the trainer and the scalpel on the road is just fine. First problem was that I needed to fully loosen the pedal tension on that side as I dont have the ankle strength yet to twist out on an SPD. Otherwise, didnt feel too bad. I cant stand and pedal yet, so I need to sit and spin up any hill....my left leg instantly wants to dominate. I didnt do any serious trails...but standing is an issue....my dorsiflexion is so bad right now...I dont even know if its at ZERO yet...So going downhill, I cant really stand in the correct position with my toes up and I cant pump. Whats funny is that the WORST most out of shape part of me is seems is my ass lol.....after 90min of sitting on my saddle I was in some serious pain. I guess I havent NOT sat on a bike saddle at least once in a week for the past ~15 years.....so 3+ months off.....There I just put the ball on the Tee for you all.

I was never great at squatting bc my ankle flexion sucks....well now im worse....but I have been working on my ankle mobility everyday, multiple times day
messages_0 (2).jpeg

As you can see, my heal is off the ground....going to take some time to fix that....but at least I can get into this position again without falling over.

So anyway, making progress...maybe a couple more weeks with the crutches.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And now for the pain....

So far this process has been fairly painless.....even actually breaking my ankle....really didnt hurt that bad. Wasnt like one of those mother f$%^ing yellow jacket stings...(yes, they hurt worse then snapping my ankle in half believe it or not)

Anyway, I have been 100% weight bearing for 2 weeks now....free to pursue a life of religious fulfillment..... I started by just walking with one crutch, then slowly transitioning to no crutches. Every day I have done some kind of a workout for my ankle, either for mobility or strength. After a month, when I get up from a chair takes like half a dozen steps, but then I can kinda walk normally. My dorsiflexion is still pretty bad, working on that everyday...its coming back slowly. But this part 100% hurts worse than breaking it.

As far as riding....I feel like I can ride fairly normally. My fitness is way off and my leg being weak isnt helping. Not unexpected. I feel like I can mostly do what I was doing, its just not an "easy" ride at the moment, its alot more effort. This is not helped by the fact that im only using flats at the moments until my ankle works well enough that I can unclip reliably. I can do most of the same stuff at wildcat with flats, but just so much more effort. The SECOND my ankle works properly again, these flats are going back on my dirt jumper where they belong.

Was pretty awesome to riding with the Wildcat Wednesday crew last night. (stolen @muddybike pic)
1682603309142.png

Other than riding, but hitting the gym almost everyday for something....either lifting, mobility, swimming, rowing, etc. Feeling good....hoping to be a better version of my old rotten self by summer.

Top Bottom