Simple vs techy—-Wahoo Element Bolt vs Garmin Edge 530

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've never had any of the sweat/touchscreen problems with the 830, but happy to hear that the 530 is twerking well for you... I'll add, I think the 1030/1040 are too bigly for mtb, butt wood bee grate four rode. (intentional spelling errors added to fit into a DT thread :p)
Same. No sweat issues on the 830. I had the 820? Or maybe 810, and that thing was terrible when it got wet. The sweat would somehow change setting so deep in the menus I had to reset the thing to get back to normal.

ekuhn

Ive had the sweat issues with the 830.

My latest problem is getting everything to upload at the end of the ride. I tried re connecting to wifi, turning it off and going phone only, but it all takes a ton of time. The garmin connect app says its "connected" but takes forever to upload.

rick81721

Lothar

My latest problem is getting everything to upload at the end of the ride. I tried re connecting to wifi, turning it off and going phone only, but it all takes a ton of time. The garmin connect app says its "connected" but takes forever to upload.

The answer is always Wahoo.

Ironjunk

Wahoo is on the edge of bankruptcy because it's not worth it to upgrade when you already have a great product. My bolt is from 2018 and i could not ask for anything more.

Last edited:

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I had the same issue. I deleted all the ride files from the device and it seemed to be much quicker. They’re all on Garmin Connect anyway.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
The answer is always Wahoo.
I admit I was Wahoo-curious for both this round and last round of purchasing, and its reviews were generally positive. In fact, my overall feel was that choice in GPS unit at this point largely comes down to nitpicking details. I came *this* close to going with the Wahoo ROAM V2 this time around just due to its purported accuracy (it has to the dual band GPS, which is only matched as an offering by the much-more-expensive Garmin Edge 1000 series.) But ultimately, I went with the devil I knew just because I'm very used to Garmin now (Garmin and I go all the way back to the early 2000's, when I'd upload my ForeRunner data into MotionBased.com.) I think what might have held me back as much as that, though, was DC Rainmaker's summary at the bottom of his exhaustive review on the ROAM V2. Basically, his conclusion was that this is the best Wahoo has offered so far, but it's not as big a step forward as it should be given their previous track record. I took that to mean that Wahoo is either going to offer something better in the near future or they're about to be passed by more innovative companies that are not there yet but showing real promise in truly integrated technology, like Karoo. Either way, I just decided not to take a chance on getting what could be a placeholder release and see if there are real improvements (at a reasonable price point) from any of the manufacturers next time around.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
well i had one, id say 5-6 years, then got a refurb unit, cant remember why now actually... i think it may have been the battery? the refurb has been going strong since may 2021. i did pay $110 for the refurb

i dont recall the updates being annoying if i had to do em

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I admit I was Wahoo-curious for both this round and last round of purchasing, and its reviews were generally positive. In fact, my overall feel was that choice in GPS unit at this point largely comes down to nitpicking details. I came *this* close to going with the Wahoo ROAM V2 this time around just due to its purported accuracy (it has to the dual band GPS, which is only matched as an offering by the much-more-expensive Garmin Edge 1000 series.) But ultimately, I went with the devil I knew just because I'm very used to Garmin now (Garmin and I go all the way back to the early 2000's, when I'd upload my ForeRunner data into MotionBased.com.) I think what might have held me back as much as that, though, was DC Rainmaker's summary at the bottom of his exhaustive review on the ROAM V2. Basically, his conclusion was that this is the best Wahoo has offered so far, but it's not as big a step forward as it should be given their previous track record. I took that to mean that Wahoo is either going to offer something better in the near future or they're about to be passed by more innovative companies that are not there yet but showing real promise in truly integrated technology, like Karoo. Either way, I just decided not to take a chance on getting what could be a placeholder release and see if there are real improvements (at a reasonable price point) from any of the manufacturers next time around.
In one of the reviews recently, I think it was for the Forerunner 965 he has said they have basically given up on that segment and Karoo is the only real competition moving forward.

Not great as the competition is really the only thing that gets Garmin to make good updates.

I would assume the bike head units get a lot of updates. My watch gets an update what seems like every month.

iLuveketchup

I am thinking of getting the 530. Does anyone know if it works international? Is it just a matter of downloading a region to the 530? Or is the unit itself locked into a region or continent?

iLuveketchup

My 530 worked in Canada if that counts.
Thanks!

I should have specified on my post.. looking for GPS capability in South America and Asia. I know the 530 works there since I see people use them. I just don't know if it's the same 530 unit that we can buy here.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I'm an idiot when it comes to bike purchases, we all know that. Any who. I am back on a Garmin 530. I solely bought it for the vo2max approximation which wahoo does not offer. That one feature motivates me to dome topped. Only reason I own it and a forerunner watch. I don't know why anyone likes Garmin. It's way too cluttered and a PITA to set up. The buttons suck to use while riding. Almost impossible to consistently hit the page button without pausing your ride. Like, how does the biggest company screw ergonomics up so bad? Wahoo is so simple, easy to use, accurate, functional and awesome. If they had that one pointless feature I wouldn't have screwed myself into purchasing these over and over. Wahoo is also awesome because you set it up through the app. How does garminnot do this yet? It's like Shimano holding onto cables when sram has been wireless for 5 years.

iLuveketchup

^ I was thinking of a Garmin for bike packing and integration with Shimano EMTB motors is a bonus (when not used with for bike packing).

SRAM yuck. I'm allergic. I don't like the feel, sound, and the looks for anything SRAM.

Ugh thinking of SRAM put me in a bad mood. Ok guys I'm out. Have a nice day!

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm an idiot when it comes to bike purchases, we all know that. Any who. I am back on a Garmin 530. I solely bought it for the vo2max approximation which wahoo does not offer. That one feature motivates me to dome topped. Only reason I own it and a forerunner watch. I don't know why anyone likes Garmin. It's way too cluttered and a PITA to set up. The buttons suck to use while riding. Almost impossible to consistently hit the page button without pausing your ride. Like, how does the biggest company screw ergonomics up so bad? Wahoo is so simple, easy to use, accurate, functional and awesome. If they had that one pointless feature I wouldn't have screwed myself into purchasing these over and over. Wahoo is also awesome because you set it up through the app. How does garminnot do this yet? It's like Shimano holding onto cables when sram has been wireless for 5 years.

axs came out early in 2019, might want to check your math.

Also anyone who is trying to still use buttons instead of a touch screen . . . . . your doing it to yourself.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Thanks!

I should have specified on my post.. looking for GPS capability in South America and Asia. I know the 530 works there since I see people use them. I just don't know if it's the same 530 unit that we can buy here.
Before buying my 530 I watched reviews of it on YouTube and some of them were in Asia. I suspect the hardware and functions are the same but I can't speak for the software.

Top Bottom