Skinny on Mountain creek park

littlev21

a bunch of us (family event) are going up to Traction Park for the water park. My question is what level of ability is required of the bike park? I'm looking for more Stephen's versus Whistler. More Allamuchy ice cream versus Candy Ass. Can I venture onto the black diamond stuff? Is the intermediate just a waste of time? How about the cross contry trails? If Technical singletrack that's good, if old fireroad, not so good. Any info would be appreciated...

gtluke

The Moped
Stay off the black diamond stuff on a regular bike. Stick to the green trails. The black diamond stuff is actually advanced. They aren't joking around.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I went and rented a bike a couple of years ago and stuck to the green/blue trails and had a blast. I think this matches what you are looking for.

Mandi also rode them on her SS hard tail. needless to say her brake pads barely lasted the whole day.

If you are feeling good on those trails, kick it up a notch, but you can still have a great time riding the greens/blues.

J-Dro

Like Pearl said, if you stick to the blues and greens you will have fun. But a big difference between the Allamuchy trails that you are used to and MCBP is the speed factor. Even on the green trails you can (and should) fly down them. At that high speed, things can go wrong in a hurry, so my advice is to plan on crashing at least once or twice. And wear whatever pads you can to survive the crash. Knee, elbow. A full-face helmet is highly recommended.

If you go prepared, you will walk out with a huge grin on your face.

evo456

im heading up there for the first time on saturday. pretty pumped. ive a got a giant trance that im bring with me. some people say its not enough bike but i plan on sticking to the green/blue. i think having a bike im familiar with will be a benefit and the 150 travel will be good. seeing the post about the ss ht makes me feel better too lol. any must hit or must avoid spots for a first timer?

littlev21

thanks for the quick reply, kinda know what works.

any comments on the cross country loops at the top of the mountain? and no, I wont't be riding up to get to them. I'll take the lift. Hopefully they are marked so I don't decend down the wrong side.

Jeb

Hi there! My name is Jeff, I build trails and teach biking lessons at MCBP. Here's the skinny:

XC - there is an awesome loop divided by color into 5 sections (though not by difficulty). The loop can be accessed by several points within a quarter mile from the top of the lift, and all trails are marked quite clearly now (after a few people found themselves to far off lands). Most of the ride will be smoothe but sometimes technical single track with a decent amount of climbing, but some long flowy downhills as a payoff. Some off it runs on old access trails - but the mossy, green, fun type - not the loose, gravely fire road type.

Downhill - If you've only ever ridden a beach cruiser, the lower end of the beginner trail might make you peepee. However, with any bit of minor experience in trail riding, the beginner trails shouldn't be too shocking to you. The best thing you could possibly do would be to reserve a lesson, which comes with a brand new Specialized Demo, lift ticket, full protective gear, and a lesson with yours truly. Then we can discuss and practice in depth proper body position, pedal position, foot position, breaking, cornering, bike and body separation, etc. But if you do so choose to take your life into your own hands, then your best bet would be to ride Greenhorn -> Domboo for your first run. Then either breakout or ego trip, then work your way down to crap chute and Indy cross. Then go get a beer. I don't check on here much but hopefully I'll see you on the mountain!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions