So what did you break this time??

JonF

Just riding along and all of a sudden shifting got a little wonky. Cassette got a case of summer teeth.

PXL_20221211_203610460.jpg

PXL_20221211_203643471.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
this should be an interesting thread!
Add in where it broke - cause some places are less forgiving than others!

iman29

Came here to post the same, but ~two metacarpals (unconfirmed, but 2 months into recovery it wasn't just a bruise 😅)
Yikes. I went immediately to urgent care I can’t sleep without knowing what it is or isn’t.

Mine was only 1.5 weeks ago and is already much better tho and technically fractured not broken. But now that we hijacked this thread back to broken bike parts.

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Now the bulb on the other side will burn out tomorrow. 🤣
C'mon man, you know I'm as OCD as you and wouldn't want our POS looking lopsided.....

driver side is more easily accessible, can replace the bulb with a cast on. I know @Frank has probably cussed like a sailor trying to get his wookie hands into the small crevices on the passenger side to change bulbs on his caravan 😅

Frank

Sasquatch
C'mon man, you know I'm as OCD as you and wouldn't want our POS looking lopsided.....

driver side is more easily accessible, can replace the bulb with a cast on. I know @Frank has probably cussed like a sailor trying to get his wookie hands into the small crevices on the passenger side to change bulbs on his caravan 😅
I would remove the lamp, only 2 screws from above….easy. But mine was an older model.

Oh, and I have made sailors blush.

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I know, but still . . . . .

download.jpeg

hell they even sell the bulbs in pairs (must be a reason for this 🤔 )

Last edited:

JDurk

JonF

Just riding along, getting ready to dump a handful of gears for a punchy climb and the shifter just goes limp! A few tappy-tap-taps on the housing and it suddenly has tension again, but now it won't downshift any futher and im stuck in the first 4-5 small cogs--not ideal for tight singletrack.

Apparently this is a known defect affecting a certain production run of Shimano XT/XTR 12 speed shifters with the multi-release feature (double upshift). A little sire spring on a small pawl responsible for resetting the downshift lever after a downshift action will break so it won't ratchet back and reset the lever for more shifting. I was about 6mo out of warranty (2 years on XT) but surprisingly they honored it. Not sure the range of shifter affected but it seems the early ones after 12sp debuted are fine as are the most recent production--just somewhere in the middle.

PXL_20221229_175801204.jpg

Top Bottom