So what did you break this time??

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yea, it was a crash. Part that pissed me off was they changed the frame and didn't have any rear triangles in stock, so only option from Ibis was to buy a new frame under crash replacement. Price was reasonable for a new frame, but I didn't really feel like laying out that kind of money on a relatively new bike. Who doesn't keep some spares in inventory for warranty claims? I sent it out for repair to a reliable service instead.
Can I ask what the price was on a replacement?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a non-crash warranty they'd just send a whole new frame, vs a rear swing arm. Especially with all the changes in colors it's hard to keep them in stock along with keeping customers happy to have a non-crash warranty and different colors front vs rear.

Captain Brainstorm

Can I ask what the price was on a replacement?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a non-crash warranty they'd just send a whole new frame, vs a rear swing arm. Especially with all the changes in colors it's hard to keep them in stock along with keeping customers happy to have a non-crash warranty and different colors front vs rear.
Replacement was $1200, which is a good price, with a 2-3mo wait. Repair price was around $500, with a 3wk turn-around, 10yr warranty on the repair. Of course this destroys "resale" value, but that is usually never in my calculous when I buy a bike that will be beaten down.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The whole carbon is stronger than aluminum thing is a lie,

Speaking as someone who designs highly stressed mechanical systems for a living. . . . from a materials property thing it is 100% accurate, it is stronger, it is also stiffer, which tends to mean more brittle so impacts have a different effect than on Al. With carbon its easier to vary tubing thicknesses and such to save weight, which also pushes the material closer to its limits.

Captain Brainstorm

Speaking as someone who designs highly stressed mechanical systems for a living. . . . from a materials property thing it is 100% accurate, it is stronger, it is also stiffer, which tends to mean more brittle so impacts have a different effect than on Al. With carbon its easier to vary tubing thicknesses and such to save weight, which also pushes the material closer to its limits.
Repairing aluminum is hard also, right? Once you reweld a broken section it looses its temper and then needs to be re-heat treated. Brought to its annealing temperature then air-quenched, straightened, and tempered. In the of case something like a bike, a repair shop that can do this seems like a really narrow skillset.

Reactions: don

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Repairing aluminum is hard also, right? Once you reweld a broken section it looses its temper and then needs to be re-heat treated. Brought to its annealing temperature then air-quenched, straightened, and tempered. In the of case something like a bike, a repair shop that can do this seems like a really narrow skillset.

depends on the specific heat treat used on the AL, but yea generally i would expect the whole thing needs to be annealed before welding, then re-heat treated after in order for the material properties to remain consistent throughout the repair. Most weld procedures also include a stress relief (low temp heat treat typically) after to relieve any heat induced stresses.

Reactions: don

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
According to trek this is cracked.... they are sending out a new front triangle. Upgraded to carbon at least

20230331_065137.jpg

The Kalmyk

C262292F-F71C-458F-A4A4-E1BCA3759AC1.jpeg

More epic carbon ripping. And solidifying my belief that two is one and one is none. Ti hardtail and full suspension on the radar. Fuck it.. spend money

The Kalmyk

They are replacing it. With a carbon triangle

This is something that has come up in conversation as i start to look into full suspension.

Whats the down time on one brand v another? Whats the availability of pivots and other small hardware when they need replacing? It appears some a light years ahead of others.

Im interested in knowing if what your down time is/was on this

Captain Brainstorm

They are replacing it. With a carbon triangle
Say what you want about the big brands, but they don’t nickel and dime you or give you bullshit excuses like the boutique brands (with the exception of Turner, that guy has some ethics, just needs to start building FS again).

Yeah, carbon sucks.
Definitely doesn’t suck. Won’t go back to aluminum unless they find a way to make 160mm travel bikes that don’t weigh close to 40lbs or cost $10k because of some funky bonding technology.

The Kalmyk

Say what you want about the big brands, but they don’t nickel and dime you or give you bullshit excuses like the boutique brands (with the exception of Turner, that guy has some ethics, just needs to start building FS again).

Yeah ive seen this first hand with a fancy ti builder in New England.

We need more people like Tom Kellogg

Cassinonorth

Trek doesn't cover crashes either...does anyone?

I'm confused why you're so pissed at Ibis for you crashing your bike.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is something that has come up in conversation as i start to look into full suspension.

Whats the down time on one brand v another? Whats the availability of pivots and other small hardware when they need replacing? It appears some a light years ahead of others.

Im interested in knowing if what your down time is/was on this

Stopped at the shop to submit the claim fri morn(say 11) 3/31. Had a response by dinner tine same day with my options. Looks like a week to ship the replacement. And was estimated a week for the shop to do the labor. I could probably do alot of it myself but free time in appropriately large blocks is hit or miss right now at home with a 1 yo that hates to nap.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Well, my bike got into another fight with a rock at last night's ride and the rock won again. I don't know if it messed up the derailleur or bent the hanger but I did the last 4 or 5 miles in the one gear that wasn't skipping. I know what I'll be working on this weekend.

Top Bottom