suggestions for a 12yo looking to try out some trails

BuckChoklit

Not sure if this was the right place for it, please let me know if its not.
i usually go to 6 mile or any place i can go to on my free time. for years ive been trying to get my daughter to come along with me with no luck. Finally she has been some what curious and would like to try a trail out. Can you suggest some trails that are 1 extremely easy but scenic trail in central nj and 2 crappy bike friendly lol. she has a womens diamond back that is kinda crappy. Id really love this to be something we could do together often. Hopefully if this is something she likes then we can begin to shop around for a good upgrade. TIA

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
^^^ and you can stop for ice cream - or start/stop in califon.
just don't go so far in one direction that it is a forced march home.
and good news, it is "downhill" on the way back.

alternatively - D&R out of lambertville or D&L out of new hope - also good ice cream.

A simple 6MR out of Jaques staying on red, and cutting back over to white on the bridal paths (the one before the two bridges comes back to the white trail
after the open field switchbacks) - then go for ice cream.

so i think you see what will make this a success.
report back - with pics!

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
i usually go to 6 mile or any place i can go to on my free time. for years ive been trying to get my daughter to come along with me with no luck. Finally she has been some what curious and would like to try a trail out. Can you suggest some trails that are 1 extremely easy but scenic trail in central nj and 2 crappy bike friendly lol. she has a womens diamond back that is kinda crappy. Id really love this to be something we could do together often. Hopefully if this is something she likes then we can begin to shop around for a good upgrade. TIA

Please make sure her bike is in great mechanical order, nothing worse than a bike that doesn't sit in gear

BuckChoklit

Mercer is perfect for beginners. I took my 12 yo grandson there and now he’s hooked.
Please make sure her bike is in great mechanical order, nothing worse than a bike that doesn't sit in gear
^^^ and you can stop for ice cream - or start/stop in califon.
just don't go so far in one direction that it is a forced march home.
and good news, it is "downhill" on the way back.

alternatively - D&R out of lambertville or D&L out of new hope - also good ice cream.

A simple 6MR out of Jaques staying on red, and cutting back over to white on the bridal paths (the one before the two bridges comes back to the white trail
after the open field switchbacks) - then go for ice cream.

so i think you see what will make this a success.
report back - with pics!
The southern end of the Columbia Trail is pretty scenic, and that's about as easy as it gets.
Thank you all! im really trying not to make this as fun as possible in hopes of a trail bud. i will definitely give the bike a nice once over to make sure its in good order. that thing is is heavy af

iman29

I’ve told others on here all the mistakes I made about trying to get my 3 boys to ride with me when they were younger. My biggest mistake was trying to make it into a ride that was fun for me and not them.

I would say totally the Columbia trail from High bridge you can’t go wrong even if you ride .5 out and .5 back and then get ice cream or lunch. Just always ask her if she’s having fun because that easy trail will seem like a huge accomplishment the next time you can go a bit further.

Keep us posted 🤘🏻

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Columbia trail is better... But Patriots path from speedwell lake isn't bad either. Paved and then turns into gravel. Just need to stop at whitehead road (that's the big hill that eventually leads to Lewis Morris). There's also road crossings to be careful of (well, Sussex is the only one that really sucks) but then there's all the great restaurants in Morristown to get lunch at.

w_b

2nd the suggestion of Jacques Lot 6MR. See how she do on the stuff right there where the NICA loop is, and be guided accordingly. There is good stuff either way if you want more. Ice cream also helps.

qclabrat

Not sure where central Jersey is, but you can ride on the canal path a bit then duck into 6mr. The trailhead may be a good out and back with the rollers and intro her to MTB. Nothing worse than being in the middle of a park and all she wants to do is leave. She'll hate bikes after that, ask me how I know, lol....

Cafe Dave

1 extremely easy but scenic trail in central nj and 2 crappy bike friendly lol.
Columbia Trail - checks all your boxes.
Duke Farms - Mostly paved, but has mix of gravel and dirt trails. It's VERY scenic. You can also rent bikes there, too. For the kids 24" inch, they had Fuji which wasn't too bad.

1627702322937.png
1627702327682.png
1627702332341.png

1627702346771.png

Top Bottom