The 2023 lawn thread

How much area do you mow? This tractor has a six foot belly mower, and tows a five foot offset Swisher mower, cutting around an 11 foot swath.
I've got about 3 acres of lawn between the front and back. That's a nice setup, but I think I may have too many obstacles to go around for something like that. Though it would probably be nice for the bulk of the front yard.

I have a few areas that need to be patched, took a hit during last summers lack of rain for ~2 months and not much shade in my yard

Has anyone done a walk-behind push mower? Looking at getting an electric mower and can't decide between self-powered and push. The push is appealing slightly due to cost, but I kind of like less complexity and honestly if it's not hard to push around, who cares if I get a little more exercise.

I should also note that my lawn is 95% native moss and if I could figure out how to get rid of the grass I would/will. It's almost so little that I could probably use a string trimmer. I'm thinking the mower will be used more for leave/debris than those small bits of grass.

Has anyone done a walk-behind push mower? Looking at getting an electric mower and can't decide between self-powered and push. The push is appealing slightly due to cost, but I kind of like less complexity and honestly if it's not hard to push around, who cares if I get a little more exercise.

I should also note that my lawn is 95% native moss and if I could figure out how to get rid of the grass I would/will. It's almost so little that I could probably use a string trimmer. I'm thinking the mower will be used more for leave/debris than those small bits of grass.
We have an E-Go. Going into our 3rd year I think? It holds two 5.0mAh batteries, and Hannah can cut the whole front and back without recharging. It's self propelled, but we just push it. Lasts longer that way.

Last edited:

I have the more powerful Ego self-powered mower (would have to check the model number) and I mostly don't use the self-propel feature. Some of that is because there's a bit of a lag before it engages, which makes no sense to me, but it's really easy to push around so it feels like there's not that much of a point.

self propelled is nice if you have hills on your property that you are cutting, but if your grass is flat it doesnt make that much of a difference. also to note its easier to push a push mower than it is to push a walk behind.

Just found the model, LM2142SP.

Not 2023 yet, but a throw back to how nice it looked in the fall before the leaves. Have to sharpen blades and change oil for this year.

Attachments

• 20221010_173821.jpg
    20221010_173821.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221105_091341.jpg
    20221105_091341.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 30
I have the more powerful Ego self-powered mower (would have to check the model number) and I mostly don't use the self-propel feature. Some of that is because there's a bit of a lag before it engages, which makes no sense to me, but it's really easy to push around so it feels like there's not that much of a point.
Just found the model, LM2142SP.
self propelled is nice if you have hills on your property that you are cutting, but if your grass is flat it doesnt make that much of a difference. also to note its easier to push a push mower than it is to push a walk behind.
@shrpshtr325 Yeah that's my concern. That the self propelled will be harder to push against the motor and a couple extra lbs.

@ebarker9 @MadisonDan Yeah, I'm going with the EGO mower, I think now I'm decided on the walk-behind. They seem to have the best electric lawn stuff and I picked up their blower over the winter and no way I'd go back to gas. I'm now in their battery ecosystem... I think MadisonDan sold me on it last year when discussing electric mowers with him.

Can't decide if mower or electric pole saw is the next thing I need.

@shrpshtr325 Yeah that's my concern. That the self propelled will be harder to push against the motor and a couple extra lbs.

@ebarker9 @MadisonDan Yeah, I'm going with the EGO mower, I think now I'm decided on the walk-behind. They seem to have the best electric lawn stuff and I picked up their blower over the winter and no way I'd go back to gas. I'm now in their battery ecosystem... I think MadisonDan sold me on it last year when discussing electric mowers with him.

Can't decide if mower or electric pole saw is the next thing I need.

I have two Ego leaf blowers, string trimmer, and the lawnmower and they're all great. Would say that without the self propel engaged, the mower completely free wheels and is really easy to push around, but unless you have a specific need for it, I'd probably save the money and get the push mower.

Do two boarder passes then go up and back and not in a circle. The striping results will be moar better.

Just bite the bullet and get a 60" machine. Would reduce cutting time by 25%
That's the plan. Going to get a 60" with better transmissions.

I am aiming for a clover lawn. Up until the '60s, lawn seed was a mix of grass and clover. Clover doesn't grow fast nor high, so needs less mowing, and fixes its own nitrogen, which requires no fertilizer.
Modern lawn seed contains no clover, and weed killer kills clover. Weed and feed becomes an annual event for eternity.
My lawn now is about half clover, and I am trying to raise that percentage, resulting in a low maintenance, nice looking lawn.

Back
Top Bottom