The 2023 lawn thread

One of these days I'll make a leaf plow for the mower. For now this is my technique when I don't feel like tarping but
View attachment 226721

I need to mount my walk behind blower to my mower.... but if you're looking for one of those fancy plow setups:

I need to mount my walk behind blower to my mower.... but if you're looking for one of those fancy plow setups:

yup, but i said make because i know they aren't cheap...

One of these days I'll make a leaf plow for the mower. For now this is my technique when I don't feel like tarping but
View attachment 226721
I pretty much do the same. Afterwards use the Little Wonder to cleanup and the backpack blower to send deeper in the woods. Though would be nice to have them shredded first. Basically just hobbling along till we sell the house in a few years. Looks like less wind today, time to do some leaves...

Leaves - I have an acre to clean up, I leave the mulcher cover on the deck with a set of Gator Blades, one or two passes and I have leaf dust. Remove the cover and a quick go over with the bagger and I only get 3 or 4 barrels of dust to dump in the woods, what remains decomposes and enriches the soil for next year's lawn. Makes for easy clean up's.

In the fall I mow with a lawn tractor that has a 48" cutting deck with mulching blades and a plug. I tow behind a leaf sweeper to sweep up the mulched leaves, and dump the swept chopped leaves in rows in my garden plot as leaf mulch for next years' vegetable planting.

Ok folks, other than aliens.... Anyone have an idea what's creating my crop circles?

Cutting the lawn lower for the winter I noticed some wacky designs of dead grass. My first thought were moles.... I've dealt with them before and had become very proficient at identifying their transit tunnels vs feeding location. So I finish cutting and arm myself with my trusted traps to go hunting.

Quickly come to realize these tracks aren't the typical raised tunnels from moles, and are more like mini "game trails". Tracked one back to what looks like a nest through the fence. Before I start playing with dynamite, anyone have an idea? Is this typical of field mice?

PXL_20231109_165800537.jpgPXL_20231109_165836526.jpgPXL_20231109_165922659~2.jpgPXL_20231109_165736402.jpg

Ok folks, other than aliens.... Anyone have an idea what's creating my crop circles?

Cutting the lawn lower for the winter I noticed some wacky designs of dead grass. My first thought were moles.... I've dealt with them before and had become very proficient at identifying their transit tunnels vs feeding location. So I finish cutting and arm myself with my trusted traps to go hunting.

Quickly come to realize these tracks aren't the typical raised tunnels from moles, and are more like mini "game trails". Tracked one back to what looks like a nest through the fence. Before I start playing with dynamite, anyone have an idea? Is this typical of field mice?

View attachment 226840View attachment 226841View attachment 226842View attachment 226843

I believe they are voles. The vegetarian version of moles.

Voles, feeding on the roots which is killing the grass and showing up as their pathway to dinner in your lawn. A few sprays of castor oil and dawn dishwashing liquid in a garden sprayer will rid them naturally. Ask me how I know....

I found two extensive votels, each with at least 5 entrances. One along a row of privacy trees (4th pic) and the others on the opposite side of my yard along the back of my garage (2nd pic). I have some oatmeal traps set up for now...

Also going to clean up the layer of fallen evergreen needles that I'm sure makes a comfy environment for them.

I found two extensive votels, each with at least 5 entrances. One along a row of privacy trees (4th pic) and the others on the opposite side of my yard along the back of my garage (2nd pic). I have some oatmeal traps set up for now...

Also going to clean up the layer of fallen evergreen needles that I'm sure makes a comfy environment for them.
You need a vole hunting cat.

2023-11-10_10-46-17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom