The Hurricane Ida Chimney Rock Relief Effort Thread

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Friday, October 8th

From yesterday, as Glenn mentioned I did some work on western blue. I would not call it upper, but hey it's above something so it's above everything under it. I came in from MIddlebrook, and focused on a specific area. I had been walking with the dog and just randomly chopping roots. This was in an effort to keep the dog entertained. I have found a new method of giving him exercise. Every root I chop out gets thrown in another direction and he can't help himself but chase it.

I worked on the area right before & after the last stream crossing on blue, CW, before you go down the rocky down or alternate bump trail. There is a left turn that is rooted beyond belief.

Rather, it was rooted beyond belief. 96 roots later, we have a nice sweeping left hand turn. Sounds like it rides nicely which I like to hear!

F85B215B-08DC-455C-8108-2B6892D7A219.jpeg

From there it hits the extremely washed out stream crossing. I have some ideas on that but I did not address it. Then you go up that ultra-rooted little pitch, between the 2 trees.

From the trees looking down towards the stream:

AD4A933C-8197-43E2-B4FA-F0892D351934.jpeg

I left those monster ones at the top, since those are essentially the tree. We will probably leave them as-is, or maybe we cover with dirt to smooth them but I think they are ok like this.

You can see those massive washed out roots at the bottom. That's an area which will need some thought.

Having leaves on the ground is good because I can rake what I want the trail to be, cut the roots only on the bed of the trail, and leave the edges alone. This helps keep the trail focused. The only time I remove the whole root is when it's causing water issues.

Gene

The Dancing Machine
I rode here today and besides the washed out rivers the trails were in decent shape. The trails I maintain (good heart SoMo) didn’t fair as well, but it will be better again one day and hopefully with the reemergence or phoenix ish effort by JORBA Essex.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I rode here today and besides the washed out rivers the trails were in decent shape. The trails I maintain (good heart SoMo) didn’t fair as well, but it will be better again one day and hopefully with the reemergence or phoenix ish effort by JORBA Essex.

Ok, this goes in conditions.

Sheesh, I give up.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So I will say that is mostly a wrap on Ida clean up/repairs, way quicker than I would have ever expected. We had sessions with the High Tech crew the last 2 Fridays. We got the major repairs done on both blue and red. At this point I'm super happy with how everything turned out. Only time will tell on the long term success of the repairs. But the park is now 100% rideable.

I can't thank Paul from HT enough for how much he has made this possible. Between him and his guys, it's over 200 man hours donated.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

A shout out to Larry B for spending the days with us as well. He was a huge part of helping get this done. Crazy how hard he works at this sessions, he makes us all look bad. And he is good company as well.

Also a big thanks to all the volunteers, at the official sessions and on your own. It was a huge help as well. And to all the people that made donations for the park or that joined Jorba to support us.

And thank you to Pete G for buying us lunch yesterday. He rode by, saw us working and made the very generous offer. Hit the spot for sure.

Sorry if I left anyone out.

We will continue, until the end of the year, on some more items through out the park. So look for a post for any future dates, if you want to help out. If not...... join JORBA or make a donation as the funding makes this all possible.

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Your mission if you so choose to accept it is to address the root drop as discussed above. That drop is now eroded and the roots need to be removed from it.

Also the go around is overgrown and I believe hard to pass through right now. That's probably an area that is good for a solo mission.

Make sense?
Got in there today with my folding saw. Cut out all the under-cut, pedal grabber "loop" roots. I think the rest should stay bc i feel like they're holding the hill up. Would become a luge run without them, plus it is a nice tech challenge. There are now 2 distinguishable lines in the downhill direction: 1) the inside/right one which seems to have been the main one that avoids most roots, and 2) now a left line that goes over a bunch of the roots for more of a challenge but totally doable. Go-around was pretty clear now but i beat back some overgrowth even further.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Kirt did a nice job thanking everyone.

I'm calling him out as the real reason this happened quickly and efficiently. He knew what needed to be done, and coordinated across many groups and skill sets, including getting the park on-board with the work.

Way to step-up to the challenge.

Thanks @Kirt.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions