The Road to Somewhere

xc62701

Today is day 9 of bionic knee round 2. I’m getting more active and looking forward to PT starting tomorrow. I’ve been doing my home exercises and I’m progressing. I’m up to 85 degrees of flexion. I’m supposed to be at 90 degrees by the end of 2 weeks.

There’s a lot of soreness still. My inner quad and shin are the worst right now. No more pain meds except for some Tylenol here or there. My shoulders are a bit tired from crutching around but I’m trying more and more. Can’t wait to get back on the bike but each day is one day closer.

5/2 is my follow up with the surgeon so I’m curious to see what mess is left underneath these bandages.

1AB50153-22AE-4BE9-BA5F-B75387FE9E55.jpeg

Last edited:

xc62701

How was that shower? 😂

Glad to hear you are progressing.
First shower was… Absolutely terrible! Now I have a shower chair, and life is much better! I know the wife will complain about me getting something else but for hopefully the few times I will need it it’s worth its weight in gold!

Plus it saves her from having to haul my ass out of the bottom of the tub when I fall.

xc62701

Day 11. I’m so over this. I know I’m through the worst of it blah blah blah. I really would like some actual sleep. Not tossing and turning with a weirdly heavy and immobile bionic leg would be nice. I’m getting out of the house a little more, but about 2 hours is all I can tolerate before my legs starts throbbing and I need to get back on my ice machine. I’ve tried to get on the bike and I’ve got ROM from 2-9 on the cranks but not getting anywhere near over the top yet. I know I’ll feel a lot better once I can pedal again. This week I’ve got 3 PT sessions and a checkup at the surgeon. At least I’ll see how it’s doing and find out when the stitches can be removed. The shin pain has resolved and now I’m back to incision pain on the kneecap so that is evolving each day.

Work wise I’m 1.5 weeks into the 4 weeks of non-weight bearing. Mentally I’m preparing to go back to work may 22nd as that’s the first Monday after I will be weight bearing. That’s of course if the docs/pt advise that. The crazy part is that will give me only 20 work days left if I return then. That’s so much to get done in so little time!

It looks like I’m not missing much on the racing scene. With all this rain the two cancelled races are a bummer but I get it. Once I get back later this year I hope to jump in and get the engine fired up, but I’m looking at mid to late summer at best. Maybe some Fatbike races to get acclimated again. Let’s bring back those fall mtb races! I’m hoping to get up to the scene of the accident, and cheer/beer at the 12 Hours of PJ next weekend. It’s be nice to see folks and get out a bit if I can.

2EAA097E-FE8B-470D-A958-965A34EB77E7.jpeg
57F0E51F-59DD-442C-92A5-AE9227699756.jpeg

xc62701

Got to a new to me brewery today. Well actually a new to everyone NNJ brewery. Autodidact in Morris Plains NJ. They had a good mix of IPA's, blondes, and saisons. Only 5 miles from home which makes it bikeable. That'a a good sign. Much better than Fort Nonsense which has been random and meh. Once I get back on the bike I want to do some night rides and brewery stops. This makes me happy.

5D6E54A7-1386-4F0B-8CA1-D1F3F11CB6C9.jpeg
2F0B0000-EF6C-4B08-A00A-5F74394AE939.jpeg
F75CD6BC-E81D-4750-9652-CCE33657F2E9.jpeg

xc62701

Day 13. Post op checkup today. Stitches are out and incision looks good - actually way better than I expected for a 4” incision. I can fully shower with no restrictions. I can bend past 90 degrees and work up to 120. I need to continue my exercises and PT and in 2 weeks I will be allowed to walk on it with my leg brace locked out and continue therapy to regain full movement. I can use my ice machine when necessary and my CPM machine as tolerated to try and get up to 120 degrees. Progress is slow but it’s happening. I’m hoping I’ll get to turn over the pedals later this week.

xc62701

Still not close enough on the bike. I have movement from 1 o'clock to 9 but still ain't getting over the top... I'm way too impatient.

xc62701

What about shorter cranks or standing to pedal?
I don’t have any shorter cranks and I’m not supposed to put body weight on it yet so standing is out. I was thinking of raising the saddle as well but then I would be reaching at the bottom. No need to hurt myself more just cause I’m impatient.

xc62701

Day 17. 11 more days until weight bearing. I keep trying to cheat at Ohysical therapy and push things along but my therapist is good. She’s telling me to wait and progress will happen fast once I can get to weight bearing again. The steri strips are off and the incision looks good. I’m heading up to Port Jervis to cheer on the 12 hour race and get out of the house for a bit.

IMG_6802.jpeg
IMG_6803.jpeg

pibbles

The shower part was definitely a workout. Glad I waited until today to attempt. As @UtahJoe stated, a good shower chair will help. That should be delivered tomorrow. I had to fit my ass on one of the kids wooden art chairs and that was just too small and low to be anywhere near comfortable. I'll try again for a shower on Monday and hopefully the incision is a little less tender. The knee feels pretty good, the incision however is very sensitive and when moving the leg, it hits the cryocuff under the brace and is pretty painful. I'm getting really sick of the f'n couch but I know it means that I'm resting and recovering. I'm cutting myself off the opiod painkillers and will try to use Tylenol if it gets more sore. I'm trying to do the good things now as when I have more mobility I know I"m going to push it a bit. When I unwrapped it for the shower, the knee looked pretty good with very little swelling. That's a win so far for me.

View attachment 212095
We got a thread here for cool ass socks!

Top Bottom