The Road to Somewhere

Day 25 today. Good news is that I am able to pedal again. The knee has loosened up enough to where it’s still a little tight getting over to top when I start pedaling, but it works. Friday I pedaled for about 5 minutes outside. Saturday I pedaled for 16 minutes outside. I’m still super cautious and will not put any decent pressure on it, as I’m still not allowed to be weight bearing, but it’s giving me hope.

I have one more week off of work and then back to the grind. I’m sure it’s going to suck a bit but I’ve got to go back eventually. I just can’t wait to get rid of these damn crutches first and then the brace soon after I hope. It’s just under 2 months til wilderness. Still hoping I can make that happen!

IMG_6832.jpeg

IMG_6829.jpeg

As it turns out, I will be in State College that weekend. Maybe I can come throw donuts at you at that rock garden on three bridges or whatever it is, or I can buy you a beer after.

That sounds like a plan! You’ll be there for a bike race or for some less important reason?

No ride today. To be honest, I was smoked after yesterday. For Mother’s Day we did a “hike”. It was the storybook trail in Randolph that got extended into a playground excursion - all on my crutches. I walked 1.5 miles for that and god knows how much other walking I did throughout the day. My shoulders and back are fried. I hope to get some good rest tonight and have some more strength tomorrow.

Tomorrow is day 27, followed by day 28! Day 28 is when I can actually put weight on my knee! It’s also when I’m cleared to ride the bike at PT…oops! So I’m planning on doing my PT session and riding the trainer(aka - my fuse mtb) later on some quiet roads or gravel somewhere to celebrate! I’m hoping the end of crutches is in sight! I f’ing hate those torture devices!!!

I finally found an actual use for those stoopid dropper posts! It’s nicer to get on and off with a wrecked knee. Besides that - totally pointless. Carry on with your day 😎

Last edited:
Day 34, and weight bearing has been a godsend. I've only been able to stand on it for a week now and that has made so much of a difference. Screw the two crutches crap. I'm using one crytch for long distances, and for most stuff at home I'm not even using a crutch. Yesterday was the first day back at work so that's a big milestone. I stood on it most of the day and had PT directly after work and as expected I lost a little range of motion due to a little swelling. Today the swelling seems to have gone down, although I slept like complete garbage last night. I'm not sure what it was but I was exhausted from work and just couldn't get settled. I hope tonight is much better. Progress wise I'm down to PT 2 days a week and can bend my knee regularly past 120 degrees and I have enough range of motion to ride the bike, although it's a bit tight when I start still. I'm hoping by next week that shouldn't be much of an issue. I do see my Doc next Thursday to see my progress and address any concerns. At this point I'm happy with how I'm doing, although I want to be back at full strength. I know in time that will come.

I'm going to hop on my bike after work today and see if I can squeeze in an easy hour. I've been riding my MTB only when I can since it's got the dropper for easier mounting and have even taken one short piece of trail. The only thing I keep telling myself is FALL LEFT. I can't allow myself to reinjure the leg before it's stronger so I'm always conscious of that. Today is two month until Wilderness...the dream is still alive.

6 Weeks post op today. Knee is getting much more range of motion, strength, and really no pain. I've been trying to get on the bike a little, mostly with the kids though. Yesterday was my longest actual ride yet. 1:50 moving and 21 miles or so. It was the hardest short ride I've done in a while. Boy do I have a long way to go. I bonked and I think I was about to start cramping lol. Tomorrow is my Dr's checkup so I'll see what he says about timeframe to get rid of my knee brace and actually getting back to "training". As of now I'm cleared for riding the stationary bike but that's lame. I have no patience, I want to be back to full mobility yesterday. I know I know...but I'm getting there. The good sign is that throughout the ride yesterday there was no pain or restriction and it felt good putting a little bit of power through the knee.

Non cycling news: I was able to get the boat out and go for a nice cruise last weekend. Well that is before the Mrs. Forgot to take her meds and almost barfed from the motion. Before that it was all fun!

IMG_6967.jpeg
IMG_6952.jpeg

Last edited:
Had my 6 week follow up with my doc today. I asked about returning to activities. He said it would be about 9 months for basketball. Who cares about that?!?! I don’t play that shit. I asked about cycling. He pretty much said do your PT work and stop being a ***** and get on the bike. So I did a 2 hour ride today. Strengthening exercises to come, but fitness and less fatness lie ahead. I’m stoked to be at this point!

IMG_6981.jpeg
IMG_6982.jpeg

Had my 6 week follow up with my doc today. I asked about returning to activities. He said it would be about 9 months for basketball. Who cares about that?!?! I don’t play that shit. I asked about cycling. He pretty much said do your PT work and stop being a ***** and get on the bike. So I did a 2 hour ride today. Strengthening exercises to come, but fitness and less fatness lie ahead. I’m stoked to be at this point!

what your dr thinks when you say bicycle.
🎶ring ring 🎶

ramp er up slowly!

6136_LP_LocalRides22-3col-timbuktu-slimC.jpg

9, almost 10 weeks post op now and the knee is definitely feeling stronger. Oddly of course it feels better on the bike than off. I was able to get out and pedal for almost 5 hours yesterday. Of course the wheels fell off after 3 hours but I was still a long way from home. I took the short way back to make it home in 61 miles and 4:54 or so. Legs are tired today. I'll have to say though, after yesterdays ride, I'm thinking less and less about actually doing the Wilderness. I'm thinking I could survive the 100k and maaaaaaybe the 100 mile. But there would be loads of suffering. I don't think I'm into that right now. I'm enjoying just riding the bike and not suffering. Plus the possibility of reinjury is not what I want to think about. And I haven't been riding the MTB yet. It's only 4 weeks away...

IMG_7204.jpeg

Plus the possibility of reinjury is not what I want to think about
This might be the best reason of all. Seriously it’s ok to push yourself and you have done some monster batshit crazy rides but you don’t want something more long term to limit you for just making it back to this one race.

Maybe just enjoy “riding around” this summer and target the races again in spring.

Just my .02.

This might be the best reason of all. Seriously it’s ok to push yourself and you have done some monster batshit crazy rides but you don’t want something more long term to limit you for just making it back to this one race.

Maybe just enjoy “riding around” this summer and target the races again in spring.

Just my .02.
Yea, Chris may let u transfer to Shen a month later haha.

Just my .02.

Yea that's what I'm thinking. I'm happy right now just riding and trying to regain fitness. I'm more annoyed that I dropped some cash on the race and I'll be wasting it. I'd love to get out there and do the event, but the $$$ is motivating me too. If I can sell the reg I'll be happier about my decision. I think I'll still do something large that weekend, just more gravelly and on my own terms. I'm ramping up mileage and hours, but I don't think I'll be anywhere near where I'll want to deal with the suffering and worrying about damaging the knee.

Back
Top Bottom