The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

Over the Bars

Super bummed that I turned on my tracker but forgot to hit go 😔

I went out to deer park again because I was entertained on my last ride enough to do it again. This time I did Rouge properly. Pushed it hard and got my heartrate maxed on that section.
Otherwise my average was 143 for the ride. I'd have to assume I was about 15 miles total for the ride which was covering almost every trail in the park. Now I have to go back and have a redo 😁

Now to the fun side which is never ending but I'm attempting things I wouldn't think of on my analog because the lack of power. Now it's not even even a forgone thought, just hit it. Climbs are fun again, wait climbs we're never fun. Now I don't have the dreaded heavy of God I hate say the orange trail from Rouge.

Gonna start doing Deer Park and Stephens combos just because Rouge is better then anything in stephens except the orange Crush downhill.

View attachment 181875
God i hate going up orange from rogue !! Glad your loving the new bike

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Look who was E curious
20220331_154730.jpg

@Patrick once again came up to help lay some tile at my forever job. Someday I lay out some pics of this 3+ year basement job. This is not your ordinary home, this is a 30k sq ft home on 100 acres. For the love of God I built 25k chicken coop with temperature control and time control door lol.
20220331_110405.jpg

Any we had finished up at a decent time and said let's go emtbing. Yes Pedals bike is 2 sizes too small but I think Pat just wanted to see what it's all about.

We punch out 11 miles in deer park in an hour an half.

Screenshot_20220331-221718_E-TUBE RIDE.jpg

20220331_154715.jpg

serviceguy

Super bummed that I turned on my tracker but forgot to hit go 😔

I went out to deer park again because I was entertained on my last ride enough to do it again. This time I did Rouge properly. Pushed it hard and got my heartrate maxed on that section.
Otherwise my average was 143 for the ride. I'd have to assume I was about 15 miles total for the ride which was covering almost every trail in the park. Now I have to go back and have a redo 😁

Now to the fun side which is never ending but I'm attempting things I wouldn't think of on my analog because the lack of power. Now it's not even even a forgone thought, just hit it. Climbs are fun again, wait climbs we're never fun. Now I don't have the dreaded heavy of God I hate say the orange trail from Rouge.

Gonna start doing Deer Park and Stephens combos just because Rouge is better then anything in stephens except the orange Crush downhill.

View attachment 181875
Do I detect a little hint of e-bike induced euphoria? It’s great to see your genuine enthusiasm for the new toy!

Look who was E curious
View attachment 181949

@Patrick once again came up to help lay some tile at my forever job. Someday I lay out some pics of this 3+ year basement job. This is not your ordinary home, this is a 30k sq ft home on 100 acres. For the love of God I built 25k chicken coop with temperature control and time control door lol.
View attachment 181952

Any we had finished up at a decent time and said let's go emtbing. Yes Pedals bike is 2 sizes too small but I think Pat just wanted to see what it's all about.

We punch out 11 miles in deer park in an hour an half.

View attachment 181950
View attachment 181951
E-bike, the new fat bike ? Have you found the way to get @Patrick off the too small for him, weirdly wheeled fat bike?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dropped the wife off for her Nashville trip
Then met up with Hayes and one of his long time moto x friends for some ebike goodness at Mahlon. Robs wife came along for the first part then we Dropped her back at their camper and went back out. Lots of rocks, you forget sometimes until your in the mix. Managed to ding dong my head into a low branch. Damn blind eye.
Went back to camp where the host served up a good campsite meal.
IMG_0031.jpg

Got back in time to meet my daughter and kids as she dropped them off for a boys sleep over.
Have to say they were on there best behavior. Went out to lowes to pick up a hot water heater as ours STB and followed up to a pretty fun stop at Friendly's for supper. Followed up by ice cream.
20220402_195525.jpg

We stayed up to watch ghost busters and then
put them down. I proceeded to stay up till 3 am because for no reason other then being restless.
Then was woken up at 5 45am by the boys. This set up staying on the couch till my daughter showed up watching cartoons, which is one of my favorite things to do.
20220402_192146.jpg
20220402_192142.jpg
20220402_192137.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
MORE MILES WITH SMILES
20220410_120903.jpg

Went out with mission to stephens today
1.Try to hit almost all the trails I could without repeats
2. Try to kill my battery, I've only taped 2 out of the 5 bars to date

I don't know names of everything but I hit stuff in one ride that I couldn't of done with my anolog.
Started over by Saxon pits. Went up haley toe>taley ho>misterburger>golden>lasko>white>powerline>sunrise>trail back to power>new trail along power line>across to fire tower>subaru>long way around>mulch doubltrack>ST to Estes >boarder>vistar>estes> 4way bangright>right again to left to tech by creek>trestle>martys>cooler>funyans?>skeezits>drop double ramp>trestle>upper maze>back to Saxon.

17 miles 2k climbing 2 bars left to burn
I still have more to add so next time see if I can get that battery a closer to dead. Approximately 95% trail mode 5% Boost.

Oh the trails were in fantastic shape.

Screenshot_20220410-142643_Strava.jpg

20220410_131118.jpg

This is when I was done in case people think I was mud loving
20220410_141329.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Followed up Sundays ride with a ride Monday with my lady. We went to deer park on a last minute call. Time was short and we were a little tired from work and such. 9 miles in 1:20mins.

I decided it's time to show P how we can do things a little differently now. So took her right in the reverse directions of our analog days. She's so funny as she kept saying I don't remember this trail and that trail 🤣 yeah she's been on all just the opposite direction makes it all feel new. No more waiting at the top of hills for me, only places I out pace her now are the downhills.

Conditions were as expected, deer park has a number of areas for years that need attention but we know we'll and good nothing will get done about them. Otherwise park is flowing good. Couple of new falls but nothing too big to clean up.

Screenshot_20220411-195652_Video Editor.jpg
20220411_164533.jpg
20220411_164521.jpg
Screenshot_20220411-195411_Video Editor.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Something different but kinda the same
Talked P into another ride, weather helped so wasn't a hard convincing to be had. This time over to Stephens because I said my buddy Tom sent me a pic of these.
IMG_1788.jpg

Yup its that time of the year.

So our ride today was more of a morels hunt then a ride. We went to area where P found some before. If you have hunted for morels then you understand it's like finding the needle in a haystack. This is like finding the golden egg and once you find the patch you'll have to threaten to kill me to know where it is. This is widely known almost the morel hunters. It also becomes a competition hence the note from Tom to the plumber on the pic.

If you don't know why the morels are special then you just don't know.

Either way we got a very casual 8 miles in and Patty has gotten better at learning her new bike. It's really like old times as she's really killing it in the technical parts and right up my ass on the climbs. She's having a blast again on her new turbo levo!
20220412_165239.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
20220408_163754.jpg

RIP Mr Amish bike I didn't bring my tow strap

Last year I was all about doing laps at Stephens, take the slow chug up to get to the fun stuff, you know the downhills. What a reversal this year, now I'm looking for the insane uphills. You know the ones that are the impossible for 99% of the cycling population, yeah those. That's where I went today to start, the orange trail at the west end of Stephens. No not orange Crush that's a whole another animal but it's link on the otherside, just as steep but much smoother.

Wish I could say it was 100% clean but a group of young girls were hiking down it and one of them froze and left me with a bad line. It's long and steep and even in my boost mode of 65NM it was hard AF. Then I swung over and hit pots and pans followed by a solid effort up haley toe down tally over miester burger to mitch Goldens blue over to the big finish of orange Crush.

Great day out there and ran into a couple groups including Tony but he was sporting an anolog. I've now become mattyBboost amongst my peeps lol. Brief description of why my username is what it is. Back and I mean way back like my trek Y xc racing days my buddy Hayes nicknamed me mattybfast, as I was always known by my coaches in HS sports as mattyb. I had a friend make a bumblebee stickers that read mattybfast for my bike. Those carried over to my DH race bikes until racing was done. Marriage and kids well created the mattybfat though I wasn't fat yet that was a take how mountainbikes were called fat tire bikes before fatbikes became a thing. So my first time username on mtbr was mattybfat which carried over to here.

Screenshot_20220413-223129_Strava.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No pics today, seems to be pattern here. Even the pic I used on the last post wasn't from that ride. Barely stop to take a drink because I'm just having too much fun haha.

I use my accountant slash tile layer slash electrician and overall good guy @Patrick every year to do taxes. Knowing well and good that I was gonna be on the paying end this year I waited till last minute. Nothing worst then watching your numbers go up and down, back and forth only to see the royal flush at the end.
Ah it is what it is life taxes and death.

Before that we went on a unconventional stephens ride as Pat still had @jdog E Cannondale in his possession. So up and down we went starting from the west side by the rangers station. I do recall many moons ago that this location was where I first gave @Norm his first proper of Stephens with the Plumber. Pretty sure we were all on Single speeds back then and stephens was a pretty raw park back then. My how things have changed. It's a shame this end of the park doesn't get the love. Trees will be down over here for sometime and there's plenty.

Either way we got to a point that Pat mentions he's on 2 bars left and we were around the middle around skeezits so thought it was best to head back towards the cars and call it a day. Boy absolutely perfect day for riding the dirt, hope you all got put there.

Screenshot_20220415-203151_Strava.jpg

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
20220416_105238.jpg

This time of the year we always like to go up and add more flowers to the Schilling Memorial Rock. This morning was a perfect day for this. Chris meant so much to many of us and want to continue to keep him in our thoughts. We high tailed it straight to the spot and planted some forget me nots. Spent some time in meditation and then did some morel hunting.

Packed up and headed down the same way and decided to hit cardiac by pass out. Just before entering CBP we came onto a group that had on our favorite people @Robin it was so good to see you love. She was giving a mooch proper to some Pa. Folks. We exchanged pleasantries and carried on.

We had to get to a local auto dealer we have bought from before to pick up my daughter's new car. We found a 2008 chevy malibu ltx with 66k, smoking clean and loaded.

Happy Easter and Passover my friends

20220416_105506.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A true meaning to owning an ebike for any true enduro bro. More laps in a timely manner.

If there is absolutely where the ebike rules is getting more laps in your short span of time or all day. There is truly something to be said if your the type of rider who is a casual climber but mad bomber. Looking at my heart rate proves I push my downhills.

Today I was short on time, goal was 4 climbs up the rumbly climb with 4 specific downs.
1st was the burgers
2nd was tally ho
3rd was hally to
4th was pots and pans
Hally to is a difficult trail to navigate at speed and not especially fun buy its different. All said I had an hour an half and competed my mission. I got something up my sleeve to see about adding to these runs.

It's getting to the point to start my before work rides so I may jump on this this week.

Screenshot_20220417-202627_Strava.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I get to my secret parking spot and it's almost full today, SOB!!! Turns out it was the picatinny crew on Amish bikes. Well actually Joe and Dawn, didn't know the rest.

So I got my boy Jason out on his mom's bike which made me very happy. Went right for haley toe get around 2 turns and I see the Amish gang charging. Yell to Jason if the catch you let em by. I now became the carrot and this carrot was not gonna wither. Not gonna lie those first 3 dudes were pushing me as I kept looking but I manage to keep my distance without losing ground. For reference I was not in boost, I was in trail mode so I earned my climb. HR got to 168 so I know I was working. 2 of the 3 passed Jason, to be fair first ride on a small bike with too many new things to figure out.

Just awesome weather, hope you all got some.
We did 12 miles and showed him some of the good downhills with jumps.

20220420_171520.jpg
20220420_174436.jpg
20220420_174450.jpg

jackx

Great day in Stephens SP this afternoon! I rode 15 miles starting on the topside near the FireTower, and almost every trail I rode was in the opposite direction from my usual.

I was slogging up Halley Toe, and I saw you on Pepe ripping down Talley Ho with Olive the blur in hot pursuit. I ran into the same Amish train on Blue.

I haven’t been thru the mulch pit for quite a while, and now it seems to have mulch piles for miles.

A131238F-5805-406C-8CD8-92709EE63514.jpeg

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Something different but kinda the same
Talked P into another ride, weather helped so wasn't a hard convincing to be had. This time over to Stephens because I said my buddy Tom sent me a pic of these.
View attachment 182664

Yup its that time of the year.

So our ride today was more of a morels hunt then a ride. We went to area where P found some before. If you have hunted for morels then you understand it's like finding the needle in a haystack. This is like finding the golden egg and once you find the patch you'll have to threaten to kill me to know where it is. This is widely known almost the morel hunters. It also becomes a competition hence the note from Tom to the plumber on the pic.

If you don't know why the morels are special then you just don't know.

Either way we got a very casual 8 miles in and Patty has gotten better at learning her new bike. It's really like old times as she's really killing it in the technical parts and right up my ass on the climbs. She's having a blast again on her new turbo levo!
View attachment 182667
Better go delete that ride before I steal your spot!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jackx lol, nice catch, now it's official. If you ride Patty's bike you must wear the jersey.

Met up with my hometown buddy Hayes who just picked up trance e pro Thursday. He had his moto race buddies Danny and Tony who are brothers join the fun. They reached out for a Stephen's tour. We started off at my spot that shall not be named for fear of over crowding.

I am starting to put together a crazy good route to hit as much as possible. I had to boost much more then when solo as I had full fats pushing me. This left me with 1 bar left on the battery which leads me to believe I'm good for 25-30 miles with a heavy boost ride. I'd like to try a slow big triple soon laying low on the boost to see just how far I can get on eco/trail mode.

Slowly building my posse of outlaw ebikers riding the ranges of mooch canyons. Who will I deputize next 😁

20220423_113914.jpg
Screenshot_20220423-144944_Strava.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Have you had it die yet? Curious what it's like to push around dead. I know my Vado doesn't quite become a regular bike with no assist. Kinda feels like the brake is dragging or something.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have you had it die yet? Curious what it's like to push around dead. I know my Vado doesn't quite become a regular bike with no assist. Kinda feels like the brake is dragging or something.
I have not, I can say my bike could be pedal without assistance much better then the full fats but still not something I would want to be too far away. Only time I get that brakes feel is at the 20mph limit or dare I say eco mode lol. Riding in trail and dropping to eco feels like I tossed an anchor out.

Top Bottom