Tire inserts revisited.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
What are you guys using currently for inserts? I use the Tannus Armor tubeless insert(rear only). https://tannusamerica.com/products/tannus-armour-tubeless . You all know I like to bitch, find problems with products and ultimately improve each upgrade. Some examples are that since buying an Ibis Exie last June I have not had one single gripe about it. In fact, the abuse it has taken at races and in the watershed is crazy. The Notubes patented Ibis S28 wheels are another. The best I have used since Valors. Anywho, the Tannus is the best insert I have used to date BECAUSE I have not had a flat WITH IT INSTALLED and it looks like new after two years use. This was after trying Tubolites and Pepsi...both junk that lasted no more than 2 months max. So,why do I want to improve? The Tannus does its job but at the same time is pretty firm. It pushes hard against the outside of the tire sidewall. I'd like to try something a bit more compliant but with some durability?

Andypowerful

I use the Vittoria Air Liner on my GT Force. I'm able to run my pressures at around 22lbs. They are fairly light and you can ride flat with them as they fill most of the internal tire space. They are a pain to install though.
Screen Shot 2023-06-06 at 7.58.21 AM.png

scott62

Mynesweepers, cheep, light and they will get you home if you flat. $66 bucks for a pair is hard to beat.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What I got....
Bronson - cush core xc f/r
Firebird - rimpact pro rear, cush core xc front
Tallboy - rimpact pro rear, cush core xc front....I didnt like the rimpact pro in the front, so I split them between my two bikes.
Scalpel - tubolites f/r....I still dont know what you did to your tubolites Dave, but mine still look like new after two years.

goldsbar

Tannus - Had the opposite experience! Total PITA to install and uninstall and I watched the how-to videos. Once installed, they were blocking the sealant from hitting the sidewalls. At least I believe so because the tire leaked air and I never had the problem after removing the insert. Worst part is they made the (rear) wheel feel clunky. Assuming it was the extra weight.

Vittoria Air Liner Light - ??? I'm interested in these. 55 grams probably doesn't do much, but I'm really just looking for that slight edge. Let me run 1 psi less and not have to worry about rim damage. Not looking for miracles.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mynesweepers, cheep, light and they will get you home if you flat. $66 bucks for a pair is hard to beat.
Tried these in the past , didn't last more than a month . Absorbed sealant and were completely chunked apart like piranhas attacked them .

Tannus gets my vote when I use inserts . I've tried about all of them over the years and they just seem the most balanced.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
What I got....
Bronson - cush core xc f/r
Firebird - rimpact pro rear, cush core xc front
Tallboy - rimpact pro rear, cush core xc front....I didnt like the rimpact pro in the front, so I split them between my two bikes.
Scalpel - tubolites f/r....I still dont know what you did to your tubolites Dave, but mine still look like new after two years.
Same happened to Jeremy’s and Banana Fontanas.

Last edited:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I ride the equivalent to Ringwood or Wayway all the time. Tannus great there. If you don’tbuse an insert you WILL pinch flat. I have no need for one in the front.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Tannus - Had the opposite experience! Total PITA to install and uninstall and I watched the how-to videos. Once installed, they were blocking the sealant from hitting the sidewalls. At least I believe so because the tire leaked air and I never had the problem after removing the insert. Worst part is they made the (rear) wheel feel clunky. Assuming it was the extra weight.

Vittoria Air Liner Light - ??? I'm interested in these. 55 grams probably doesn't do much, but I'm really just looking for that slight edge. Let me run 1 psi less and not have to worry about rim damage. Not looking for miracles.
Mine hit the sidewall but neveraproblem with air leaking out.

Bikeworks

I was running the Tannus inserts on the Enduro I had, paired with EX511 rims, and felt they were pretty damned good. Once I got the Stumpy, I also upgraded to new Roval Controls. Since Specialized specifically states that inserts void warranties, I ran with the belief of running a PSI or two higher was a small trade off for decreased rotational weight.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was running the Tannus inserts on the Enduro I had, paired with EX511 rims, and felt they were pretty damned good. Once I got the Stumpy, I also upgraded to new Roval Controls. Since Specialized specifically states that inserts void warranties, I ran with the belief of running a PSI or two higher was a small trade off for decreased rotational weight.
Thats funny, IIRC Roval has a 2 year free CRASH replacement for wheels, but they will void the warranty if you use an insert.
:shrug: I love mine tho....no complaints.

Cassinonorth

This is where I'm probably going next but like Utah I've had zero issues with my Tubolights so :shrug:

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Thats funny, IIRC Roval has a 2 year free CRASH replacement for wheels, but they will void the warranty if you use an insert.

:shrug: I love mine tho....no complaints.
I think pepi’s had the best feel of an insert but lasted even shorter than tubolights.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not my tubolights. My Pepe’s got sliced up. But I may have damaged them with a tire lever when I first installed them. Once I got the hang of it, it’s much easier.

Top Bottom