Trail Boss Academy at Mountain Creek

carvegybe

I need a private class to learn the Punch properly. My timing sucks. But on 1:1 basis it will be my wife giving me the punch for spending money.

Is there like a half dozen people on here who would be interested? Last time Jeff tried teaching me this all I learned was the pleasure of pedal pins hitting the shin. I still have the bruises and this was quite some time ago....

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
For anyone on the fence about doing these , just do it . I had a pretty specific agenda and had enough of Jeff's time to solidify my feelings about certain techniques and have the confidence to check a few things of my list , well at least one , my whips are still questionable at times but seriously super fun day would highly recommend.

krink

Eddie Munster
I need a private class to learn the Punch properly. My timing sucks. But on 1:1 basis it will be my wife giving me the punch for spending money.

Is there like a half dozen people on here who would be interested? Last time Jeff tried teaching me this all I learned was the pleasure of pedal pins hitting the shin. I still have the bruises and this was quite some time ago....
I’d be interested in a small group.

ebarker9

Need 4 more. Cmon peeps!

I'd probably be in as well, depending on timing.

Regarding the Mt creek event, I'm pretty sold on the Saturday class but on the fence about Sunday. Would say that I'm a pretty fundamentally sound rider who's done a few other riding school things but I'm pretty much beginner level for jumps and drops... not sure I'm willing to step up the commitment level much beyond the progression drops in a class setting. Thoughts?

krink

Eddie Munster
I'd probably be in as well, depending on timing.

Regarding the Mt creek event, I'm pretty sold on the Saturday class but on the fence about Sunday. Would say that I'm a pretty fundamentally sound rider who's done a few other riding school things but I'm pretty much beginner level for jumps and drops... not sure I'm willing to step up the commitment level much beyond the progression drops in a class setting. Thoughts?
I’m the same. Comfortable on the tabletops on Deviant, looking to progress to the drops/jumps on something like Tempest.

frug

I'll vouch for these classes. Definitely worth it and a ton of fun. Took the intermediate course last summer. Jeff and his coaches helped me iron out some bad habits, most notably in my jumping technique (or lack thereof). Would like to take the advanced class next season after I feel a bit more comfortable at Creek.

TommyF

Well this sucks, I'd absolutely love to attend on Saturday, but I'll be riding Kingdom Trails that weekend.

ebarker9

Just signed up for the Sunday Intermediate/Advanced session. The Saturday class is full, but put myself on the wait list for that as well. Looking forward to it!

ebarker9

I wound up doing both the intermediate and intermediate/advanced classes this weekend. I'd rate the classes at a 5/5 and my own efforts in the class at a 2/5 😂

I definitely learned a lot throughout and Jeff and Max are genuinely good teachers in addition to being very nice people. I would highly recommend the class for anyone.

During the time that we spent up in the progression area, there were a handful of other riders up there not in the class suggesting that "that doesn't look like an intermediate class, I'm way more advanced than that". I get that perspective, but having watched people riding there for years, there are a lot of people riding intermediate to advanced features who still have beginner level fundamentals. Also, they did a really good job, primarily in the more advanced class, of showing how to do things in multiple ways depending on the situation. Great, you can hit a drop at a normal "trail pace" for the feature...what if there's a tight turn right after? What if you need/want to hit it faster than the feature is designed for?

They indicated that they'd be doing another session in the fall. I plan to work on a lot of what was covered in the class and potentially sign up again.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
there are a lot of people riding intermediate to advanced features who still have beginner level fundamentals.
Just hang out by covenant drop I'd say half the people that send it have horrible technique, they just have the balls to do it .

ebarker9

Just hang out by covenant drop I'd say half the people that send it have horrible technique, they just have the balls to do it .

Hence the MCBP fails IG account. The largest thing that we worked up to was the first wooden drop on Tempest (which I still couldn't muster the courage to do). Everyone in the class was "fairly" safe but there was still a lot that was sketchier than anything I'd be comfortable with. The main thing there is that with the right speed, you don't really have to do much. We had several people come in at a scary slow speed and manage to push the bike out enough to survive. It's not a bad skill to have, but not really the textbook example that I'd want when first trying stuff.

We also had a guy very narrowly avoid crashing on the next wooden drop that has the small lip. He got all sorts of out of shape coming into it, landed really nose heavy, I think belly flopped onto the bars but somehow rode out of it.

mtn

Hence the MCBP fails IG account. The largest thing that we worked up to was the first wooden drop on Tempest (which I still couldn't muster the courage to do). Everyone in the class was "fairly" safe but there was still a lot that was sketchier than anything I'd be comfortable with. The main thing there is that with the right speed, you don't really have to do much. We had several people come in at a scary slow speed and manage to push the bike out enough to survive. It's not a bad skill to have, but not really the textbook example that I'd want when first trying stuff.

We also had a guy very narrowly avoid crashing on the next wooden drop that has the small lip. He got all sorts of out of shape coming into it, landed really nose heavy, I think belly flopped onto the bars but somehow rode out of it

How about the small salvation kicker? Very simple to do. Just don't do anything.

ebarker9

How about the small salvation kicker? Very simple to do. Just don't do anything.

Yeah we didn't look at that during the class, but you're talking about the one that's before the bridge that goes over Greenhorn? I would really like to be riding this stuff, but just have such a strong mental block that I haven't been able to overcome with these features. Hope to get there someday.

Top Bottom