Tubeless Rims with holes and fabric rim strips

one piece crank

I have never set-up this style of tubeless rim before. Any tips on choosing tape width and/or tape application before I dig in?

IMG_1495.jpeg

scott62

Rims make a huge difference….. I used g-tape 3 inch. I mounted the tire with a tube and over inflated it and left it over night to press down the tape and lock in one bead. Then broke one bead, removed the tube and mounted the valve. I use twice the recommended amount of sealant for a regular tire and mount the other bead. I pull the valve out of the stem to get better flow…. Forget using a regular pump… sometimes you get lucky but you are better off with a compressor or an air can.

Disclaimer: I stopped using tubeless on the fat bike, it’s just to easy to burp tires with 8-12 psi imo.

acw

I have never set-up this style of tubeless rim before. Any tips on choosing tape width and/or tape application before I dig in?

View attachment 199838

These have been great on my similar FatBoy rims.

Karate Monkey

If they're pre-built wheels on a new bike, it probably came with tubes. Take the tape on there off, flip it over, and clean the snot out of it. Apply plastic tape over it. If there are huge bellies in the fabric strip from the rim, you'll probably need a new one. If you don't flip it, the plastic tape will probably stretch/burst into the huge voids.

one piece crank

New pre-built rims, set up tubeless but bad tape job. I can see sealant leaching through voids in the tape, so I figured I’m better off removing the tape doing it myself - peace of mind.

I guess I need tape a little wider than the fabric?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Came here to say this.
The only thing that had worked on my older gen Fatboy wheels.
This includes what the LBS tried (standard taping).
Only stopped working when I had to pull it all apart to swap valve stems, which is to be expected.
Need to do a fresh install after this because the stripper forms a seal with the tire itself if I understand life.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Those are tubeless rims so you just need tape like any other tubeless wheel. The SunRingle Tape should be the right size. We use that for everything pretty much. Keep that cheesy vinyl strip in there to cover the holes.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

The Fatboy wheels aren't tubeless so you need a Fatty Stripper or Ghetto tape job to get them to seal. Modern fat wheels don't need any of that, they're the same as regular mtb wheels now.

Karate Monkey

New pre-built rims, set up tubeless but bad tape job. I can see sealant leaching through voids in the tape, so I figured I’m better off removing the tape doing it myself - peace of mind.

I guess I need tape a little wider than the fabric?

I mean, yeah. If you see fabric past the edges of the tape, it's no good. The Sun Ringle tape that @jimvreeland mentioned works great...just make sure your fabric strip is as reasonably flat as can be when you apply it.

qclabrat

Ejd

I've used Fatty strippers on 2 sets of tires. Never burped once. The best Jerry, the best

tankhead

I have the Alex rims 70mm Blizzerks. They have a 64 mm inner width What width rim strip 45mm? Thanks

Last edited:

one piece crank

My new Rhyolite wheels have a 90mm rim width, 84mm internal width. The rubber/fabric rim strip is 75mm wide and came taped with 80mm tape that had leaks all over the place (only ~2mm of possible adhesion on each side of the rim strip, if centered, which it wasn't).

I'm thinking of cutting the rim strip down to match a 65mm-wide lip, leaving 10mm rim strip coverage on each side of the 44mm-wide rim holes. Then use 78mm tape, with 6.5mm of tape adhesion on each side of the rim strip.

IMG_1513.jpeg

Man do I hate rims with holes in them. Are there any 90-100mm hole-less, non-carbon fat bike rims?

THATmanMANNY

great timing! First trail ride today with this tank and there is significant hop from the tubes or tires not seated good.

Thinking about drilling the rims out but I don’t think the work and time would be worthwhile. I just wanna rock some orange tape.
7C9C3A90-40D8-46B2-9E2D-8FB36E84F8DF.jpeg

serviceguy

I maybe going against the flow here, I use the ‘ghetto’ fattystrip on both my 26” and 27.5” fat rims, both alloy and both with holes. No issues (other than initially figuring out the right pressure). Rims are tubeless but I actually like the idea of the strip stiking to the tire. I bought a bunch in case I need to replace it (will need shortly as I will replace the 26” wheels). Personal preference I guess. Only negative is having to trim the strip once you mount the tires. I’m also working on recycling the used strip but that seems a little bit of a …stretch!

Karate Monkey

My new Rhyolite wheels have a 90mm rim width, 84mm internal width. The rubber/fabric rim strip is 75mm wide and came taped with 80mm tape that had leaks all over the place (only ~2mm of possible adhesion on each side of the rim strip, if centered, which it wasn't).

I'm thinking of cutting the rim strip down to match a 65mm-wide lip, leaving 10mm rim strip coverage on each side of the 44mm-wide rim holes. Then use 78mm tape, with 6.5mm of tape adhesion on each side of the rim strip.

View attachment 199870

Man do I hate rims with holes in them. Are there any 90-100mm hole-less, non-carbon fat bike rims?

Your plan is fine. You can also just buy a Sun Ringle Mulefut strip if you don't want to cut. You could even cut down to the rim bed if you used something that was strong enough; You can put a strip of Tyvek tape on backwards (adhesive up), then tape over that with tubeless tape. For the love of god, don't use Tyvek tape adhesive down...the adhesive is damn near permanent.

Why no holes? You hate yourself?

tankhead

I’m thinking sunlite 45 mm rim strips for the 64 inner diameter alexrims 70mm Blizzerks? Yes? Anyone? Lol

one piece crank

I maybe going against the flow here, I use the ‘ghetto’ fattystrip on both my 26” and 27.5” fat rims, both alloy and both with holes. No issues (other than initially figuring out the right pressure). Rims are tubeless but I actually like the idea of the strip stiking to the tire. I bought a bunch in case I need to replace it (will need shortly as I will replace the 26” wheels). Personal preference I guess. Only negative is having to trim the strip once you mount the tires. I’m also working on recycling the used strip but that seems a little bit of a …stretch!
I only own non-drilled tubeless fat rims - Specialized Stout and Bontrager Jackalope. They are a dream to set-up and require zero tape. I'm going to set these new rims up proper, and tweaking the rim strip and tape widths should be right on the money.

Top Bottom