Vinyl pool converted to skate/bmx bowl. Builders?

Dean S

We have a 1970's 'Buster Crab' style pool that we had running nice a few years ago but I never got into the chemistry, cost, & time outlay. The liner developed some rips, there was a mystery leak we got frustrated and left it covered up the last few years. We joined our local lake and are not interested in rehabbing the pool. To fill it in is pretty big bucks, got recent quotes about 10k! Wow.

I've been joking for years with my family that I would like to turn the pool into a bike & skate bowl and when I talk about it lately I find myself only half joking and in my head it really seems ideal. I know there are professional skatepark builders around but I don't know any. I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction of local companies skilled in this kind of potential work. Thanks!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
is it a sand bottom below the liner?

do the removal yourself. dump the liner or cut it up and toss in pieces.
metal recycle the AL - probably got a couple hundy there.
They'll even come get it if disassembled.
let landscapers know you need fill with limited organics (stumps and grass)

Reactions: don

JerseyPete

No one is going to mention the potential of losing homeowner insurance? They cancel people for having a trampoline.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
We have a 1970's 'Buster Crab' style pool that we had running nice a few years ago but I never got into the chemistry, cost, & time outlay. The liner developed some rips, there was a mystery leak we got frustrated and left it covered up the last few years. We joined our local lake and are not interested in rehabbing the pool. To fill it in is pretty big bucks, got recent quotes about 10k! Wow.

I've been joking for years with my family that I would like to turn the pool into a bike & skate bowl and when I talk about it lately I find myself only half joking and in my head it really seems ideal. I know there are professional skatepark builders around but I don't know any. I was hoping to be pointed in the right direction of local companies skilled in this kind of potential work. Thanks!
These guys are local to me and do great work. I do see them post private jobs but have no idea of the cost.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Have you ever ridden or skated a pool? It’s pretty hard and unforgiving, usually a foot plus of vert. A mini pipe would likely be more fun.

Edit: I glazed over where you said bowl, which is way less harsh than a pool. That could be fun

Last edited:

Dean S

Sand bottom. It's a smallish pool and 8' deep so I'd imagine it would need fill to mellow it out. I wouldn't want anything too crazy but want to keep it fun and progressive. 3' deep down to 6' deep or something.

Mahnken

What @Patrick says it's probably the cheapest way to go. When I got rid of my 30' above ground pool I cut up the metal and a scrapper picked it up. The liner I cut up and threw away in pieces, a couple bags in the trash every week. There's a local pool place that will deliver 20 yards of fill dirt for free around me: https://swimmor.com/free-fill-dirt-in-nj/ Maybe find something like that local to you. Then you'll just need a layer of topsoil and some grass seeds.

Top Bottom