We don't blow leaves!

JPark

The leaf cover definitely helps the trails.
Rode Stephens on Saturday and despite all the recent rain, my bike had hardly any mud on it.
The trails were still wet in many spots but the leaf cover acted like a protective layer.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Leaves slow down the scouring impact of fast moving water. They protect the trail tread.

Leaf 🍁 blowing also takes away a layer of fine mineral soil that won’t return. I’m sure anyone who does this is well intentioned, but this is a waste of time & energy. Any trail that is leafblown is soon to be ragged, rooty and bony. Spread the word that this process is hurtful and incredibly frustrating for anyone who studies the long term impact impact on the trail tread.

Skunkape

I agree with the thrust of this thread. Blown trails just plain blow in this area. Went out today and my studs were throwing up a constant leaf shower but it's nice when the singletrack looks like singletrack.
PXL_20230112_152309045.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Like anything, using a blanket statement doesn't cover all situations. There is an argument of raking that improves the trail tread overall. Also, when the leaves are 6" + inches deep at places that don't get enough traffic to pack them down.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like anything, using a blanket statement doesn't cover all situations. There is an argument of raking that improves the trail tread overall. Also, when the leaves are 6" + inches deep at places that don't get enough traffic to pack them down.
I will preface this with the fact I am not a trail builder and have no idea what I am talking about aside from observation. Blowing leaves off of trails that are primarily dirt and already at risk of erosion = bad. I actually wish Pocono Bike club would stop blowing Glen Park because all the trails just become water runoff for the entire ridge. HOWEVER! On a lot of the North Jerz trails I feel like it is totally fine and warranted. The trails are 90% rock to begin with and even when there is dirt it is just dirt on top of rock and most of it drains efficiently as it is. If you leave the leaves on all the rock surfaces it seems like they are gonna leave slime and become a hazard. There shouldn't be any environmental impact from clearing said leaves.

MuniMan

Leaves are generally good until they block a drain and cause puddling. And then if there’s traffic thru the puddle it starts getting deeper and deeper.

I use a hand held electric blower to maintain drains.

serviceguy

I will preface this with the fact I am not a trail builder and have no idea what I am talking about aside from observation. Blowing leaves off of trails that are primarily dirt and already at risk of erosion = bad. I actually wish Pocono Bike club would stop blowing Glen Park because all the trails just become water runoff for the entire ridge. HOWEVER! On a lot of the North Jerz trails I feel like it is totally fine and warranted. The trails are 90% rock to begin with and even when there is dirt it is just dirt on top of rock and most of it drains efficiently as it is. If you leave the leaves on all the rock surfaces it seems like they are gonna leave slime and become a hazard. There shouldn't be any environmental impact from clearing said leaves.
To be noted that many of the northern trails are 90% rock because the dirt has been washed away by the rain over time. Probably.
Leaves are generally good until they block a drain and cause puddling. And then if there’s traffic thru the puddle it starts getting deeper and deeper.

I use a hand held electric blower to maintain drains.
Would it be so hard for riders that stumble upon a clogged drain to remove the leaves that cause the blockage with a stick, same as my German Shephard impersonator Bailey does when we see one? I guess it's not possible because of KOM...

Apache1

Leaves are packed now and those 'low use trails' will be when we get the first heavy wet snow

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
In my opinion, blowing leaves increases soil loss from Trails in Ringwood. We heavily discourage doing so. Clearing drains is helpful, but best practice is to build trails that constantly self drain as in side hill. I can not comment on clay trails in flat wet areas. I suppose leaves could hold too much moisture in those cases.

V-Dub

So the blanket statement works for me.
We don't need to dive into gray areas and all this and that, just don't bring the blower near existing trails works best.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions