What bike to bring to 6 mile run

kaitlyn

North Jersey girl here. I've been exploring farther afield and am wondering, gravel bike or full squish trail bike? Never been to six mile (although I might have considered it for wildcat camping on a bike tour last year, but let's not talk about that).

Last edited:

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
North Jersey girl here. I've been exploring farther afield and am wondering, gravel bike for full squish trail bike? Never been to six mile (although I might have considered it for wildcat camping on a bike tour last year, but let's not talk about that).
Go mtb first time. U can do gravel bike but not until you've done some laps on mtb.

Sven Migot

MTB would be best & any MTB will do. Gravel bike if you're looking for more of a challenge.
I usually ride SS hardtail there. Have also ridden gravel and it's fun. Drop bars zip thru the trees in the Twisties.
Either way you'll get a 6 mile dirt tan when it's dry.

u8uyi26JXJjGRiyxfZizKHX5AS1wMoRkg9FdPxKkboIANVSJINu4yXatLYJrfSalG_-k9p14RSR24oVHVzOs0kBuHwRxPK4griQmR8P7luCrELRntai79c1AAcmcnO7SHuospLmb6Bl77UtG6w8XIe6AaDDxARfXLzcz_EQDP01bmJJKcVI8Zij6iKJzpwPW2v59ukEgi-8viYFWCGDsDLkx2-q9y6Ku68jilO5emGDvURV4s9UJVUZiXW2ZSTkute8yhfoVJfEXO4uDTxLw1-LYV0hfQvzVwZ5aDqWe-GPMjlt5tG34JM69MlW4ISlAqUBeVDYI0sVmsIbGeNTwuz9G5aSkHtBmHiiQ7rE9WpDFewlcNEBOjHzN3wfXCvWobFppnzhMgeGBjbBFXbR1TgYfTQzpGpZg665NN7NWyNcKx8HNigMQFt5epHAG3_ISnwRI2JcCPiCCT71q0FUywfyzH6vwfsT4fL5VlFPUmAkS09XKHyOQE3ymEekejOcScrAEdP951bf9ppe6OJdT2wk5u0JD0ONInRsWsglcDexKNhmsM78_pSYWkvHJU7kR5riFj8oNZ4WQfJFS5MrI7Gdqmj7G4ATRqwfuKgJOyfnxKWdL0-h0mlQUxYgvvQDLXnIc1JmVQb6JYIFhrXiQ94BrVtfEuiot3lES1QwsQND5ijQkIn_GLlr1vx7nqB0vEhitOfaU3WOsEq3jc4XhGwwowKppQmZYVOKHE0DhoNYCSR5QyxozWErsdEDQGZ5I8nMJKLrB9wXC2YQHecklmqDxm6cgJfoyLWiASzNsmvj_H9xnddDwYsTNvcykNU10TN6GaAM2VvT9sSZInqzxmjo00JqrSo-Vlx1EEyJC5oSYkvs4HAv3JELjR3NmYHCznLBy3DGXg9xC0zftP3VAtIy9tcdn1oJrcLhfcpU6MQ7uVw=w1303-h977-s-no

SAM

I've been there a couple of times on a gravel bike with the wrong tires and it was not that much fun. MTB or make sure the gravel bike has grippier tires and tubeless would be better.

qclabrat

I've ridden my gravel bike there a few times and it always awakens my arthritis

Last edited:

CommandoStyle

Single Speed

kaitlyn

People failing the assignment: gravel OR full squish. Much as I like the n+1 philosophy, I'm pretty much out of room....and Styles single speed is sadly too large.
Anyways, question answered, thank you.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
People failing the assignment: gravel OR full squish. Much as I like the n+1 philosophy, I'm pretty much out of room....and Styles single speed is sadly too large.
Anyways, question answered, thank you.
Incorrect. Haro Mary SS is the correct bike for Six Mile. This was settled a decade ago.

Single Speed

If I was closer I'd probably bike that bike. :(

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Incorrect. Haro Mary SS is the correct bike for Six Mile. This was settled a decade ago.

If I was closer I'd probably bike that bike. :(

can ship - ask @Pearl

oh, and i'll be in pinehurst in september....probably farther away than the whole state of nj is long,
but....

JonF

6M isn't just some hard pack dirt double, the folks who maintain (Mainly Jdog) works hard to make sure its rife with variety. You definitely want to be moving around the cockpit to navigate all the technical elements baked into the various trails--especially the western half. You can crawl it, but 6M is heaps better at speed.

Ride the MTB for your first outing. If its a super plush bike, dial in a wad of LSC on the rear to make the riding rollers and mangroves more fun. If its an XC bike or efficient trail bike, donworryboutit. Do a full lap --there's really only 4 main trail legs (About 14-17 mi). Decide if you want to bring GX bike next time.

rick81721

Lothar
6M isn't just some hard pack dirt double, the folks who maintain (Mainly Jdog) works hard to make sure its rife with variety. You definitely want to be moving around the cockpit to navigate all the technical elements baked into the various trails--especially the western half. You can crawl it, but 6M is heaps better at speed.

Ride the MTB for your first outing. If its a super plush bike, dial in a wad of LSC on the rear to make the riding rollers and mangroves more fun. If its an XC bike or efficient trail bike, donworryboutit. Do a full lap --there's really only 4 main trail legs (About 14-17 mi). Decide if you want to bring GX bike next time.

What Florida trail is this you are describing? :shrug:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Since you have both, take the FS. The gravel bike only makes “actual” sense there if you’re doing a multi surface ride which includes 6Mile. There are a few opportunities to get off the ground (if you enjoy that sort of thing) and even if you don’t, having rear suspension will be advantageous on the punchy “Mars Dust” covered climbs.

JonF

What Florida trail is this you are describing? :shrug:
The tight, windy pines on orange and similarly the super tight laurel trails by the river at Allaire remind me of a mangrove with the scraggly roots and limbs closing in on you. 6m less so, but you still need lots of bike-body separation to navigate at speed. I've hip-checked a few leaners getting complacent before.

rick81721

Lothar
The tight, windy pines on orange and similarly the super tight laurel trails by the river at Allaire remind me of a mangrove with the scraggly roots and limbs closing in on you. 6m less so, but you still need lots of bike-body separation to navigate at speed. I've hip-checked a few leaners getting complacent before.

giphy (40).gif

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions