What enduro or big-travel bike do you recommend?

Turbotrix

The problem with the Evil or Pivot is superboost. Superboost is a pain in the ass when it comes to replacing rear wheels or upgrading cranksets. It’s half the reason I dumped my pivot. Maybe it’s easier to find parts now but when I had it not so much.
I totally agree with the Superboost BS. I was really frustrated that I couldn't use my Pivot's Boost wheelset on my Evil.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The problem with the Evil or Pivot is superboost. Superboost is a pain in the ass when it comes to replacing rear wheels or upgrading cranksets. It’s half the reason I dumped my pivot. Maybe it’s easier to find parts now but when I had it not so much.

Not really. Superboost wheels are few & far between.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably depends on your preferred wheel size. 27.5 or 29.
If I was riding or racing Enduro. My pic would be a Orbea Rallon. I currently ride a 140 travel front and rear Orbea Occam. Your welcome to throw leg over and ride it at Cranks this Saturday.
@Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST I'm only 5'4" but if I can fit on the bike I may take you up on the offer.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been drinking the Switch Infinity kool-aid. Yeti SB140 if you want 27.5 or Yeti SB130 if you want a 29er. These bikes climb like nothing I've ever ridden before and are really capable on the descents.
@jvrock I test rode a Yeti SB130 in Whistler a few ago and loved it! I will seriously consider it when I replace my trail bike.

jvrock

@jvrock I test rode a Yeti SB130 in Whistler a few ago and loved it! I will seriously consider it when I replace my trail bike.
If you want the big version there is always the SB150. I haven't ridden one but I know someone that has one set up for Enduro/Park and he loves it.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I am loving the Orbea Rallon setup with mixed wheels, I am a fan of that across the board. Look at the Bronson too. It climbs better than what you are on now. I've done 3 hr rides on both. Sb is always a fan fav.

scott62

Yea, I would not want to recommend evil bikes. Nick of the Vancan YouTube channel broke his evil frame 3 times in one year. He is now on a Knolly Chilloten(sp) because he is a big guy that brakes bikes on the north shore…. Nick also broke a Specialized Enduro frame… also carbon ( plastic)…. The Knolly bikes are alloy frames . I am one of those crazy people that buys a bike and rides it for years. This takes all plastic bikes out of the running, I have had 3 of them and they all failed in less than 2 years.

rick81721

Lothar
Yea, I would not want to recommend evil bikes. Nick of the Vancan YouTube channel broke his evil frame 3 times in one year. He is now on a Knolly Chilloten(sp) because he is a big guy that brakes bikes on the north shore…. Nick also broke a Specialized Enduro frame… also carbon ( plastic)…. The Knolly bikes are alloy frames . I am one of those crazy people that buys a bike and rides it for years. This takes all plastic bikes out of the running, I have had 3 of them and they all failed in less than 2 years.

I have ridden nothing but carbon frame bikes over the last six years and never had a problem with any of them. What "failed"?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have had 3 of them and they all failed in less than 2 years.

I know people know this, but NASA has a long history of carbon fiber research. We all know the benefits of that research, but there are some aspects of it that are not as well known. Originally they did a lot of research with grumpy monkeys, as part of the very secret Grumpy Monkey Program. Oddly, the carbon fiber always failed when the Grumpy Monkeys were part of the tests. When all the test subjects were replaced with Happy Squirrels, the carbon fiber always worked just fine.

Do I need to finish drawing this map?

JDurk

I know people know this, but NASA has a long history of carbon fiber research. We all know the benefits of that research, but there are some aspects of it that are not as well known. Originally they did a lot of research with grumpy monkeys, as part of the very secret Grumpy Monkey Program. Oddly, the carbon fiber always failed when the Grumpy Monkeys were part of the tests. When all the test subjects were replaced with Happy Squirrels, the carbon fiber always worked just fine.

Do I need to finish drawing this map?
Finish the map please. I've had a few carbon fiber frames fail, but also aluminum and steel frames. Difference being rather than a Grumpy Monkey, I was a Fat Clyde. I think I may be a Happy Squirrel now.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I think any 2022 bike will be a huge improvement compared to 2015. Everything is awesome today.

I’m usually very picky with full sus bikes, usually favoring hardtails, but I can’t find any faults with my sb130. The only limit to what the bike can do is my skill level.

scott62

I have ridden nothing but carbon frame bikes over the last six years and never had a problem with any of them. What "failed"?
I ride in north nj where the ice age dumped all of the rocks. Most of my rides are on trails that are just rock crawling. Tall boy, impacts to the down tube once, impact to the rear triangle a different time …. Sold it. Trek top fuel, got a stick in the shifter came around and broke the seat stay( never would have happened on an alloy frame)…. Sold it. Stump jumper….. broke the chain stays twice in the jungle 2 different times from impacts putting the bike down in the rocks, Sold it.
Carbon bikes will take a beating all day long but hit them with something and they are just plastic. My 2 year old alloy Transition Sentinel has 3 dents in it that would have cracked a carbon frame. Some people ride years with out crashing, I personally think that if you are not crashing, you are not learning….. or pushing your limits.

rick81721

Lothar
I ride in north nj where the ice age dumped all of the rocks. Most of my rides are on trails that are just rock crawling. Tall boy, impacts to the down tube once, impact to the rear triangle a different time …. Sold it. Trek top fuel, got a stick in the shifter came around and broke the seat stay( never would have happened on an alloy frame)…. Sold it. Stump jumper….. broke the chain stays twice in the jungle 2 different times from impacts putting the bike down in the rocks, Sold it.
Carbon bikes will take a beating all day long but hit them with something and they are just plastic. My 2 year old alloy Transition Sentinel has 3 dents in it that would have cracked a carbon frame. Some people ride years with out crashing, I personally think that if you are not crashing, you are not learning….. or pushing your limits.

I ride the sourlands regularly - plenty of rocks there. Never broke anything. Maybe you need to iearn to be a better rider? :shrug:

Last edited:

sundaydoug

If you're the type of rider that slams your bike's frame into everything on the trail then carbon probably isn't the best choice.

Top Bottom