What have you done to your car today?

Here is the current disaster I am working on. Totally underestimated the amount of rust on our 1500 cab and did a bunch of little things to it and then ordered rocker panels.

Turns out the inner rockers were pretty crusty too so had to build things back up. I don't have a pic but the doors and fender are off currently to weld in the rocker.

It would be massively easier if I had a lift and could weld sitting on a chair with a pedal control vs on my back or sitting on the floor with the finger input.

Anyway I'm learning a lot and if I get something interesting like a rotted air cooled 911 or Saab 900 classic some day I'll be ready to go.

BTW - the left hand side is in even more rusted - FML.

IMG_7293.jpegIMG_7292.jpegIMG_7329.jpegIMG_7453.jpeg
IMG_7216.jpeg

Nice job. I hate rust/body work.
I hate rust work too but there is some metal forming/fabrication which has been fun. Tying it into not brand new metal has been tricky!

I might search out a body shop to do the bondo/paint work. No one would have touched the rockers but I feel like most shops would do the finish work or at least give an estimate.

Last edited:
I have a problem.

This one is currently not running, sitting for two years but the bones are there. It’s coming home tomorrow, should make for a fun project.

- Needs to be re-geared.
- I am praying it has a bad ground and that is why it is not running but am prepared for worse
- Steering system is shot.
- Needs a driveshaft made for it
- Needs to blast Def Leppard (no radio doe)
- Lots of leaks

FD0E4DB1-6115-4180-85BC-7D03F17030C7.jpeg

I have a problem.

This one is currently not running, sitting for two years but the bones are there. It’s coming home tomorrow, should make for a fun project.

- Needs to be re-geared.
- I am praying it has a bad ground and that is why it is not running but am prepared for worse
- Lots of leaks

View attachment 204522
When your done fixing it and sick of it in 4 months, and want to sell let me know.

I have a problem.

- Needs to be re-geared.
- Lots of leaks

View attachment 204522
Nice! OBS's will always hold value and go up IMO.

Diesel or gas? Lot's of leaks might be a clue for that it's a diesel.

Does it have much rust?

Brought back down to a closer to stock ride height and on 33-35's would make this a great truck and help the re-gear / steering issue.

Nice! OBS's will always hold value and go up IMO.

Diesel or gas? Lot's of leaks might be a clue for that it's a diesel.

Does it have much rust?

Brought back down to a closer to stock ride height and on 33-35's would make this a great truck and help the re-gear / steering issue.
It’s a gasser - 5.8

I am planning 5.13 gears, Yukon Grizzly Locker rear and an ARB up front.

Not a lot of rust, it was a decent find.

Living deep in the pines now this will be my dirt road cruiser as well as firewood hauler.

Here is the current disaster I am working on. Totally underestimated the amount of rust on our 1500 cab and did a bunch of little things to it and then ordered rocker panels.

Turns out the inner rockers were pretty crusty too so had to build things back up. I don't have a pic but the doors and fender are off currently to weld in the rocker.

It would be massively easier if I had a lift and could weld sitting on a chair with a pedal control vs on my back or sitting on the floor with the finger input.

Anyway I'm learning a lot and if I get something interesting like a rotted air cooled 911 or Saab 900 classic some day I'll be ready to go.

BTW - the left hand side is in even more rusted - FML.

View attachment 204512View attachment 204513View attachment 204511View attachment 204510
View attachment 204514

you really dont have any type of lift available? no quickjack or (even better) MAxjack setup? I'm surprised. (maybe a bit disappointed after seeing your garage)

you really dont have any type of lift available? no quickjack or (even better) MAxjack setup? I'm surprised. (maybe a bit disappointed after seeing your garage)

My ceilings aren't really that tall width wise with my storage shelves it's not that wide. And truth be told I haven't felt the need for a lift with the projects I've done this far. Most of my work has been on my 110 and it is pretty high off the ground and just putting it ramps I have plenty of clearance. I took the gearbox/transfer case in and out of it a few times and while a lift would have been nice I don't think a lift would have been worth the cost and extra storage.

Also for the middle of the truck body work I'm doing I think a lift would actually get into the way. When I do the driver's side rocker work, I'm going to build some wheel stands out of extra 4x4's I have laying around. I seem to see that style of raising the car a lot on the restoration shows.

But thanks for the links to QuickJack and MaxJack. I may go that route if I get an old 911 or Saab some day. But even better I found a slick reclining creeper that looks like it would put me in a great position for welding stuff.

But bought this one on Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B004K7F8PQ

working-under-maxjax-car-lift.jpg

My ceilings aren't really that tall width wise with my storage shelves it's not that wide. And truth be told I haven't felt the need for a lift with the projects I've done this far. Most of my work has been on my 110 and it is pretty high off the ground and just putting it ramps I have plenty of clearance. I took the gearbox/transfer case in and out of it a few times and while a lift would have been nice I don't think a lift would have been worth the cost and extra storage.

Also for the middle of the truck body work I'm doing I think a lift would actually get into the way. When I do the driver's side rocker work, I'm going to build some wheel stands out of extra 4x4's I have laying around. I seem to see that style of raising the car a lot on the restoration shows.

But thanks for the links to QuickJack and MaxJack. I may go that route if I get an old 911 or Saab some day. But even better I found a slick reclining creeper that looks like it would put me in a great position for welding stuff.

But bought this one on Amazon: Amazon product ASIN B004K7F8PQ

View attachment 204586

i have a set of the quickjacks (for the low ceilings problem you mentioned) right now. HOpefully the next house will have ceilings that let me get a set of the maxjacks or a full 2 post, that would be my ideal.

Reactions: don
may go that route if I get an old 911 or Saab some day.
You keep mentioning old Saabs.
Put me at the top of the waitlist for when you start restoring some.
Last cars I really enjoyed.

Reactions: don
You keep mentioning old Saabs.
Put me at the top of the waitlist for when you start restoring some.
Last cars I really enjoyed.
I noticed that as well. I hope he doesn't mean Sonett.
1966-1974 Saab Sonett - The Forgotten Fiberglass Sports Car From Sweden |  DrivingLine

I noticed that as well. I hope he doesn't mean Sonett.

haha not a Sonett but have been thinking of a Classic 900. SPG would be ideal but maybe something close and make it a faux SPG with turbo swap.

I sold a 996 911 C2S Convertible that I had for close to a couple of years. It was very fun but I was yearning for something less expensive, more unique and less power. I had a few Saabs in the 90's and I remember them being very enjoyable, quirky and functional (I slept in the back of my 3 door at a Mt Snow NORBA national).

They have also had some recent press that makes me think it could be a good choice. Hagarty had one on a vid a couple months ago (about up and coming old cars) and then on a very recent episode of the Smoking Tire Matt Farrah mentioned a well to do, multiple rad car owner drives his Saab SPG through LA very frequently.

@jmanic - what Saab's did you have?

haha not a Sonett but have been thinking of a Classic 900. SPG would be ideal but maybe something close and make it a faux SPG with turbo swap.

I sold a 996 911 C2S Convertible that I had for close to a couple of years. It was very fun but I was yearning for something less expensive, more unique and less power. I had a few Saabs in the 90's and I remember them being very enjoyable, quirky and functional (I slept in the back of my 3 door at a Mt Snow NORBA national).
I slept in the back of my Saab on one or two occasions. I always thought it was a handsome looking car; this is the only photo I could find (photo of a photo).

Saab.jpg

@jmanic - what Saab's did you have?
Ah, memory lane....

It all started with a 99GLE, the first car I bought myself-
They were not quite there yet, but it had hints of what was to come-
Then there was a run of three 1980’s OG 900s- all 3-doors.
Between my dad and I, we took one to almost half a million miles, I’ll see if I can dig up the write up from Saab Soundings. The last one was an 89 16v turbo.
Damn I loved driving those things.

Then I made the fatal mistake-
New gen 900se. Egg shaped Mazda looking thing, pre 9-3 and 9-5 models. It was a damn GM pos with a fiat(?) under the hood.
It was then that I stopped enjoying cars, and it’s been Hondas ever since. ;)

There was a used lot/garage near me (The Swedish Connection) that always had OGs for sale on the lot. I was very tempted to go try and revisit the magic of those 80’s machines.

Went to use my Hearse yesterday and had a no-start, battery weak. Left the tender on overnight, still no good this morning.
6AM put the 6 amp charger on for 3 hours and it started fine. Drove it to my friends shop and the charging system is good.
So it's just the battery load tests borderline weak. Brought it home and added an ounce of water to each of 3 cells and put
the 6 amp charger back on for another 3 hours. All is good. I could just buy another battery for $155 since this one doesn't
owe me anything, I got it 8 years ago used for free from a repair shop, but I think it just wanted a little attention. So we'll see. :D
Hearse 1989_41.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom