What is your favorite trail system

Cassinonorth

There’s no secret to the trail, right? It’s basically an out and back?

If I went back I probably would bring my 120mm travel bike and just go to the top and come back, not do the backside.

Also the first trail in (Boulder Dash) is by far the worst part of the climb up.

Worth riding without a doubt.

Ian F

Of places I've ridden - probably Whistler and the surrounding trails. And that was 18 years ago, so I'm sure it's even better now.

In reality, I haven't been to enough places to have an informed opinion. My Cali experience is very limited. Haven't been out west at all, other than Whistler.

The main reason I want to retire at 60 is so I can #vanlife out to all of these places to ride while I'm still somewhat young enough to enjoy it.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
If I went back I probably would bring my 120mm travel bike and just go to the top and come back, not do the backside.

Also the first trail in (Boulder Dash) is by far the worst part of the climb up.

You say 120mm because of the climbing and not enough tech to need more travel? I’ll probably opt for my hardtail if that’s the case.

Zack 54

Moab, Klondike Bluffs, Trails- Mega Steps to EKG for views, rock and drops!
BEF97230-EF29-47BB-B69B-C5E74507902C.jpeg
9C4FAECE-FD9A-43D4-B85B-98E446B5B05C.jpeg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I rode it on my orbea rallon. 160/170. The trail doesn’t warrant that, but I was coming from highland and that’s what I had. 120/130 bike like a 429 would have been ideal.

Cassinonorth

You say 120mm because of the climbing and not enough tech to need more travel? I’ll probably opt for my hardtail if that’s the case.

Yeah the climb was a bit tedious with a longer travel bike. It's incredibly buffed and there's like 100 feet of tech on the whole trail. It's just the smoothest berms you'll ever ride for 7 straight miles. A hardtail would be a blast.

I rode it on my orbea rallon. 160/170. The trail doesn’t warrant that, but I was coming from highland and that’s what I had. 120/130 bike like a 429 would have been ideal.

Definitely. My Ripmo with my regular trail tires would've been absolutely fine but I had my burlier wheels from riding Killington so it felt like a millstone.

carvegybe

My neighbor is also my MTB buddy and we also work together. Work has been really tough lately so thinking of getting on a plane to ride some trails for a few days. But I dont't want to rough it out. How would this list of MTB destinations look like if you had to consider also being in a nice town with a nice vibe? Also, I'd prefer woods over rocks...but some rocks is ok. Great scenery is a must.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
My neighbor is also my MTB buddy and we also work together. Work has been really tough lately so thinking of getting on a plane to ride some trails for a few days. But I dont't want to rough it out. How would this list of MTB destinations look like if you had to consider also being in a nice town with a nice vibe? Also, I'd prefer woods over rocks...but some rocks is ok. Great scenery is a must.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Park city.

Squamish

Bellingham.

Those are easy picks. Curious what other people say. Been to all three and I love them each for different reasons.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I'm going to go with a couple of local areas.If we are talking trails, features and variety I will say The Frederick Watershed. Not because I live here...because I have been here for a year and a half and have still only touched about 1/2 of the trails. The amount of tech, flow, features, trail maintenance that is put into this place is unreal. The number of out of state license plates tells the story. I want to say it's most similar to a ringwood if you threw in a touch of chimney rock and waywayanda. XC, Enduro to downright steep ass DH bike only trails.

If we are talking back country with a view...it's tough to beat George Washington State Forest(Shenandoah/Harrisonburg area). Where else can you climb Foran hour and a half and descend for 40 minutes?

If you are there for the view Mt Falcon in Morrison , Co is nice with decent trails(not anything special).

Bucket list...any trail system near where Nino comes from in Switzerland...the views are incredible.

Honorable mentions-

Ringwood- I think this is still one of the best places around to learn bike handling skills.

Chimney Rock- How can you ever say no to this place. It's small but filled with a ton of cool features.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Go west young man. Anything out west will have the great scenery.

That said, I just flew out to CA and there’s still a shit ton of snow on a lot of those mountains so it all depends on when you want to go too.

carvegybe

I'm going to go with a couple of local areas.If we are talking trails, features and variety I will say The Frederick Watershed. Not because I live here...because I have been here for a year and a half and have still only touched about 1/2 of the trails. The amount of tech, flow, features, trail maintenance that is put into this place is unreal. The number of out of state license plates tells the story. I want to say it's most similar to a ringwood if you threw in a touch of chimney rock and waywayanda. XC, Enduro to downright steep ass DH bike only trails.

If we are talking back country with a view...it's tough to beat George Washington State Forest(Shenandoah/Harrisonburg area). Where else can you climb Foran hour and a half and descend for 40 minutes?

If you are there for the view Mt Falcon in Morrison , Co is nice with decent trails(not anything special).

Bucket list...any trail system near where Nino comes from in Switzerland...the views are incredible.

Honorable mentions-

Ringwood- I think this is still one of the best places around to learn bike handling skills.

Chimney Rock- How can you ever say no to this place. It's small but filled with a ton of cool features.
My buddy is French..has ridden in the Alps and the Pyrenees, so the bar is set high. Also re Nino...he bought a house in a little place called Stellenbosch in South Africa, which is my fav getaway spot for MTB...but I haven't done any serious riding west of Bucks County, PA, so time to check it out before I gets too old

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Bend, Oregon comes to mind. Flowy big country forest riding. Not sure how early in the season it’s rideable though, I’ve seen snow in august.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
My experience with trail "systems" is limited to just Kingdom Trails, Alligripis, Moab, Pisgah, Santos, and Bentonville. There are plenty of other places on my bucket list to ride but so far Moab is my favorite mainly for the views and the Whole Enchilada trails but Bentonville is a close second.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My buddy is French..has ridden in the Alps and the Pyrenees, so the bar is set high.

Then clearly the suggestion of Chimney Rock above will do the trick. Classic views of the quarry!

Consider Bentonville of the scene/vibe is important. The downside is that all (and I mean ALL) the top spots are not actually in Bentonville proper. They range from 45 minutes to 2 hours away. You could spend a month down there riding every day and not hit all the stuff that NW Arkansas has to offer.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Then clearly the suggestion of Chimney Rock above will do the trick. Classic views of the quarry!

Consider Bentonville of the scene/vibe is important. The downside is that all (and I mean ALL) the top spots are not actually in Bentonville proper. They range from 45 minutes to 2 hours away. You could spend a month down there riding every day and not hit all the stuff that NW Arkansas has to offer.
Well it depends if you looking for a view or what the op asked in the subject line. If I’m just there for a view as @Norma thinks then surely a trail in the alps. If I’m there for what the OP is asking then CR fits as one of the favorite trail sustems I have ridden.

Last edited:

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
It's so hard to say, what's your favorite, but for me Steven's is up there. It has such a great mix. Elm Ridge in Windham is pretty awesome as well. 15-20 years ago I rode some trails near Sugarbush Vermont, I cant remember the name, maybe someone on here knows. They we the bees knees! Jumps, rocks, flow, but also brutal up hills.

A sleeper system for me would be McDowell mountain in the scotsdale area. great scenery and fun trails.
I stumbled upon it last week. Didn’t research it as I was in the area and just driving around. Great views of Camelback Mountain
IMG_7218.jpeg

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
So finally got to ride Sedona. I have been there a couple of times many years ago but not mountain biking. It’s more vibrant than
IMG_7297.jpeg
IMG_7294.jpeg
I remember. I just kept stopping to take pics and vids. Solders Pass trail is small but was fun. Ant Hill down to Grand Central is way sketchier than it looks. Warm Puppy feels easier in comparison(or I’m just used to Ringwood).

Top Bottom