What is your favorite trail system

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
sleeper system for me would be McDowell mountain in the scotsdale area.
On a family trip several years ago I rented a bike by myself and rode to the closest trail (mcdowell) and almost died. It was awesome. There were some downhill switchbacks toward the end (after bell pass?) that almost killed me. I have never been that dehydrated and stoked at the same time.

roc

The change in the thread title ruins all the initial replies.

I would like to officially change my answer to Lewis Morris.
Can you imagine if you just moved here and some one told you LM was the best trail system. Ooooomph! Don’t go to Ringwood, Lewis Morris blows it away!

roc

On a family trip several years ago I rented a bike by myself and rode to the closest trail (mcdowell) and almost died. It was awesome. There were some downhill switchbacks toward the end (after bell pass?) that almost killed me. I have never been that dehydrated and stoked at the same time.
I rented a bike in Scottsdale at a place called AOA, they told me to check out McDowell. It was late March, so it wasn’t sweltering and I had enough water, but I did get a little creeped out as I went further out with only a paper map.

I had never really been in the desert before, I was shocked at how vibrant it was. I saw all sorts of birds, bunnies, other animals. I also had no idea cactus flower, if you’ve never seen it, make it happen and go during the spring. Spectacular.

Cassinonorth

Tunnel Ridge in Rochester, which we rode today, is an unbelievable work of art. I don't know that this makes my top 5 or anything, but it's fabulous. They just finished this a few weeks ago so it is mint. Like mint. Go ride it if you're up here.

@rottin' brings up a good point about Sedona. We had some great memories from that trip. I can't even name a single trail but I have some amazing memories there. To that point, I find many trails hold memories and that has a huge effect on your perception of it. As an example, if I had been shot on Tunnel Ridge today, I'd probably say it sucked.

You're doing well planning my Killington trip coming up next weekend. Slate Valley, Rochester, Pine Hill (?) and Sherburne (?) is now the plan. Did Green Mountain in 2020 and it was nice, not dying to go try it again though.

Turbotrix

Last year I would have said Moab trails...Enchilada, Goodbar, Portal, etc but now I'd have to choose the Lunch Loop trails in Grand Junction. They're less crowded and have everything from fast flow trails to death gnar.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I really liked the Lomas Trails near Grand Junction (includes the northern terminus of the Kokopelli Trail), and DuPont Forest in Asheville. Anything I've ever ridden in Sedona is fantastic, and the loop at Snowmass outside Aspen was the prettiest trail I've ever been on a bike. But those are all destination spots that I've only ever been to a few tyimes at most. I'd probably want to pick a favorite from among trails I've ridden quite a bit. And even then, it might not be someplace I've ridden too much (like, say, Wiss) because, as the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. And as blasphmous as it is for a Philly area MTBer to admit this, after spending the pandemic years riding almost exclusively in my own area, I've ridden Wiss so much over that period that I'm genuinely sick of it at this point. I still go there several times a week, but I find I'm pretty judgey of it nowadays. For that reason, I'd probably go with spots that hit the sweet spot in the middle - places I go to multiple times a year despite the fact that they require effort and (now more than ever) a shit ton of gas money to get to - so like Rattling Creek or State College.

JDurk

I really liked the Lomas Trails near Grand Junction (includes the northern terminus of the Kokopelli Trail), and DuPont Forest in Asheville. Anything I've ever ridden in Sedona is fantastic, and the loop at Snowmass outside Aspen was the prettiest trail I've ever been on a bike. But those are all destination spots that I've only ever been to a few tyimes at most. I'd probably want to pick a favorite from among trails I've ridden quite a bit. And even then, it might not be someplace I've ridden too much (like, say, Wiss) because, as the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. And as blasphmous as it is for a Philly area MTBer to admit this, after spending the pandemic years riding almost exclusively in my own area, I've ridden Wiss so much over that period that I'm genuinely sick of it at this point. I still go there several times a week, but I find I'm pretty judgey of it nowadays. For that reason, I'd probably go with spots that hit the sweet spot in the middle - places I go to multiple times a year despite the fact that they require effort and (now more than ever) a shit ton of gas money to get to - so like Rattling Creek or State College.
Liked by another blasphemous Philly area rider.

Last 2yrs Belmont > Wiss for me. I still enjoy riding there.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
People that love Lewis Morris had the same response to your post 😜
Who loves lewmo? ;) I ride there cause its 3 mins from my house but its awful...has potential though.

My fav so far, Doctors in CB except crossing the freezing cold river that was over my knees.

Last edited:

teabagger11

As I am sure some already said this is hard cause of all the places I've been
Most spectacular ever plains of Abraham on mt st Helen's in Washington
When I lived in CA Annadel SP was practically out my door phenomenal
Anything in Oregon
Oddly as it may seem I love batsto
Plenty of places in VT NC PA AZ
This is too hard to decide

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Tunnel Ridge in Rochester, which we rode today, is an unbelievable work of art. I don't know that this makes my top 5 or anything, but it's fabulous. They just finished this a few weeks ago so it is mint. Like mint. Go ride it if you're up here.
There’s no secret to the trail, right? It’s basically an out and back?

Top Bottom