What needs fixing first

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Rode LewMo twice this week so this will be a more detailed post as I saw some things that need attention. No puddles today which was good but you could see what areas were damp. They mostly just need nicks or clearing of the low side so water flows off the trail instead of sitting on it. In general, LewMo is a more novice riding destination so certain maintenance item will be different from an "advanced" rider park (know your audience).
One of the dips on the yellow roller coaster section by the lake has cut up logs blocking the drainage so water will puddle on the trail.
View attachment 194611
On the pink trail, lining the outside of the turn with rocks is not a good idea, unless you plan to build up a berm with proper water diversion before and after it. If left this way, water will be kept on the trail and accelerate erosion.
View attachment 194607
On yellow if you want to block off a shortcut line, do it at the beginning of the shortcut and don't pile rocks in the middle of it where a rider could get stuck plowing into the rocks. Now if the plan is to cover these with dirt for a roller or jump, that would be cool but don't leave a half finished rockpile for someone to crash into.
View attachment 194608
A couple logs to cut. If these were at an advanced park I'd leave them but not here. On yellow a little after that rock pile above.
View attachment 194609
On red after the TempeWick bridge. Could cut half of it out to leave an optional challenge.
View attachment 194612
And on the left yellow split after the TempeWick bridge there is a dangerous leaner for an experienced sawyer to deal with.
View attachment 194613

@Id_rather_be_skiing not sure if some of that rock work was you but just wanted to pass some of my Trailbuilder's experience and knowledge on to you
Thanks for the info. For what it’s worth the rock work was NOT my work. I’m trying to get a handle on the needed work.

Konaklunker

Like by herself?

I need more details than that.
Like yeah. She told me in trail passing she does most by herself to a few extra helping hands now and then. I explained to her that she needed the right media platform to advertise trail work days and that I would be more than willing to help along with any volunteering Veloraptors.

Konaklunker

So this is not something you nor the park built? But it's ok to be there?

If we really think this is an issue you should reach out to Amy and see if she is ok with a small remediation project there.
So what did you think of current trails?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So what did you think of current trails?

Funny you ask. My expectations of the park are always fairly low - today being no exception to that. So I was pleasantly surprised that it was better than I expected. Where many of the trails in NJ are a crumbly mess, this is actually doing better than a lot of those places in spots...well, except where it's not.

I met up with @Id_rather_be_skiing who is now the JORBA rep there and we talked a bit about some things we could work on. I am going to put some of my (and my team) effort into helping to get him going. There's plenty of stuff we could do to help right away. Some of it will need to be longer term.

There are some specific problem areas that I suggested he/we address first. To me, those switchbacks need to get fixed in spots, rerouted in others. There are a few other fall line trails that need to be moved. In my opinion, if you had 6 solid sessions in this park, it would go from, "Man they never do anything here," to, "Man you know this place is kinda fun."

I find that you have sections that are enjoyable followed by sections that are just a washed out pig-mess. If we were to address those pig messes, I think the overall feel of the park would go way, way up. One of the things we want to do here is get a regular crew to come out & show up. Once things start being visible, people will be encouraged I think. The legacy of Morris County is for every park super to fail. To me, it seems like this new park super has done more in a year than the previous one/ones did in 20 years. So I am optimistic.

Stay tuned on the September TM session. We have high hopes that we'll be able to make significant improvement that day. Still working out the details but we'll be sure to share them here when we have them.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions