What WEIRD things have you found on your rides?

snashters

GetAttachmentThumbnail

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Last night I found racism, anti-semitism and (probably) schizophrenia in the parking lot at Wiss. I had just parked and was getting ready to ride and this older woman - well dressed with a one of those little yip-yip dogs - at the car next to me looks at me and says, "I hope you're not Jewish." I said, "Ummm ... Come again?" And then she went off a very disjointed rant about (don't hold me to specifics here because it was kind of hard to follow) suing her brother in law and a priest because he is Jewish and was given communion at a catholic church and she won't have it, while her slutty aunt just did terrible things to her and she grew up a millionaire and she found her cigarettes and by the way the blacks are just as bad even though her spiritual adviser in Kentucky where she lives (but she's from Camden originally) is black and said the most terrible sex things to her and she shouldn't have to go to jail for hitting her brother in law.

All of that - and much more - was said in the time it took me to get my shoes on and my bike off the rack. Then she started with the really racist stuff and I just took off. I was kind of worried that this woman had clearly driven herself to the park because, I'll be honest, it kinda seemed like her having a license might be the kind of bureaucratic oversight that ends *poorly*. I suppose I probably should have done something - called someone or something - because this was some kind of episode, but honestly every time I've ever tried to intervene to help someone in Wiss, it's ended poorly or nothing happened. This includes twice I've stopped to call police after witnessing a B&E on a car and they told me to wait but then never showed up, a time I tried to help a guy who crashed only to be accused of causing the crash (which I didn't even see happen - I just heard it and came around a corner and the guy was on the ground bleeding) and the time I tried to help a lady keep her dog from running off only to be bitten by the dog. So I kind of worried that if I had called to help I might be sitting in Einstein myself right now on a 24 hour psych hold while that lady would be walking free to spew her hate speech at school children or something.

rick81721

Lothar
Last night I found racism, anti-semitism and (probably) schizophrenia in the parking lot at Wiss. I had just parked and was getting ready to ride and this older woman - well dressed with a one of those little yip-yip dogs - at the car next to me looks at me and says, "I hope you're not Jewish." I said, "Ummm ... Come again?" And then she went off a very disjointed rant about (don't hold me to specifics here because it was kind of hard to follow) suing her brother in law and a priest because he is Jewish and was given communion at a catholic church and she won't have it, while her slutty aunt just did terrible things to her and she grew up a millionaire and she found her cigarettes and by the way the blacks are just as bad even though her spiritual adviser in Kentucky where she lives (but she's from Camden originally) is black and said the most terrible sex things to her and she shouldn't have to go to jail for hitting her brother in law.

All of that - and much more - was said in the time it took me to get my shoes on and my bike off the rack. Then she started with the really racist stuff and I just took off. I was kind of worried that this woman had clearly driven herself to the park because, I'll be honest, it kinda seemed like her having a license might be the kind of bureaucratic oversight that ends *poorly*. I suppose I probably should have done something - called someone or something - because this was some kind of episode, but honestly every time I've ever tried to intervene to help someone in Wiss, it's ended poorly or nothing happened. This includes twice I've stopped to call police after witnessing a B&E on a car and they told me to wait but then never showed up, a time I tried to help a guy who crashed only to be accused of causing the crash (which I didn't even see happen - I just heard it and came around a corner and the guy was on the ground bleeding) and the time I tried to help a lady keep her dog from running off only to be bitten by the dog. So I kind of worried that if I had called to help I might be sitting in Einstein myself right now on a 24 hour psych hold while that lady would be walking free to spew her hate speech at school children or something.

Mental illness or Alzheimers/dementia. Nothing you can do if not violent.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

I have no idea where Wiss is but thanks for reminding me to never ride there. 😬

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Another odd interaction at the Wiss parking lot last night, but not quite as sad or alarming. An old man who had just taken it upon himself to help a family back out of their parking space then walked up to me as I was getting changed and started to tell me that I looked strong and that I could win a triathlon if I wanted him to coach me. He then informed me of his Boston Marathon times (to the second) for the eight times he claimed he did it. Then he told me that "everyone was going to flip out" when they saw what he had planned. And then he opened his car (yup, another possibly delusional person with a license to aim drive a several thousand pound vehicle) and insisted I check out the giant speaker system he had inside that he was going to use for "playing concerts right here in the park". I humored him for the most part, but I finally told him I had to leave when he started to tell me his planned setlist (which hilariously included both Pink Floyd and, apparently, Taylor Swift songs.) He was pretty harmless and definitely less frightening than last week's encounter, but I'm now curious to see who comes out of the woodwork next.

Top Bottom