White and Blue Blazes Gone?

nj_sybarite

I rode this park earlier today, parking behind the Middlebury Blvd complex near the trailhead for the Remembering Marty trail. While I did notice new trail markers/blazes for this trail, the white and blue trail markers appeared to have been taken down. Anyone know what's going on? Are they reblazing the trails or something?

Thanks,
Dave

3MTA3

The Marty trail was not previously blazed, so markers were added. The blue and white trail markers have not been changed on those trails, though could use a bit of refreshing in some areas. There were never white and blue on the Marty trail, if that’s what you mean.

nj_sybarite

The Marty trail was not previously blazed, so markers were added. The blue and white trail markers have not been changed on those trails, though could use a bit of refreshing in some areas. There were never white and blue on the Marty trail, if that’s what you mean.
Understood; I usually do yellow loop to blue loop to back up on white, but today I noticed the blue blazes were gone. I saw remnants of the blazes on the trees, so I'm just wondering why they were removed. Check out the blue loop next time you're out and you'll see what I mean.

Also as I side note, I've noticed somebody has been sprinkling broken glass on some of the trails. It's clearly intentional since it's such a wide variety of types of glass in concentrated areas. Where I've seen it I've tried to clean it up, but it's definitely disconcerting. Perhaps I'm being a bit conspiratorial, but could be same person sabotaging the trail system?

3MTA3

Understood; I usually do yellow loop to blue loop to back up on white, but today I noticed the blue blazes were gone. I saw remnants of the blazes on the trees, so I'm just wondering why they were removed. Check out the blue loop next time you're out and you'll see what I mean.

Also as I side note, I've noticed somebody has been sprinkling broken glass on some of the trails. It's clearly intentional since it's such a wide variety of types of glass in concentrated areas. Where I've seen it I've tried to clean it up, but it's definitely disconcerting. Perhaps I'm being a bit conspiratorial, but could be same person sabotaging the trail system?
I’ve noticed some glass as well here and there. I suspect (and am hoping) that it is old glass being uncovered by erosion caused by recent rain.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
There are massive pockets of dumping remnants pretty much everywhere. We are constantly uncovering glass among other things. If you are finding fresh glass, take a photo and drop a pin for us to look at. This is the type of stuff worth reporting back to the town / police. This kind of sabotage (if that's what it is) goes way beyond bike tires and is a massive concern for those out there with their pets.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
There are massive pockets of dumping remnants pretty much everywhere. We are constantly uncovering glass among other things. If you are finding fresh glass, take a photo and drop a pin for us to look at. This is the type of stuff worth reporting back to the town / police. This kind of sabotage (if that's what it is) goes way beyond bike tires and is a massive concern for those out there with their pets.

How can you tell if it's fresh?

nj_sybarite

IMG_2471.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2470.jpg
    IMG_2470.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2235.jpg
    IMG_2235.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2233.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 136

nj_sybarite

The brown glass, which appeared to be fresh corresponds to these coordinates:

40°51'53.0"N 74°37'00.1"W​

Now I'm not sure how precise these coordinates are, but I seem to recall these were on the Marty trail which is new. Note that those photos were from early July, and I cleared that glass so there shouldn't be any left now.

The other photos were from this location, if I remember correctly on the white trail:

40°51'57.0"N 74°36'55.7"W​

nj_sybarite

So I went back today and sure enough, the blaze removal is confirmed. I ran into a hiker who was carrying a blue spray-paint can and was marking the blue trail to restore the trail markers. He claims to have also marked the white trail, though I didn't check that.

Clearly somebody intentionally removed the nailed-in blazes, but for what purpose?

Last edited:

3MTA3

So I went back today and sure enough, the blaze removal is confirmed. I ran into a hiker who was carrying a blue spray-paint can and was marking the blue trail to restore the trail markers. He claims to have also marked the white trail, though I didn't check that.

Clearly somebody intentionally removed the nailed-in blazes, but for what purpose?
Sending you a DM.

kaitlyn

Oh, so that's why the blazes were spray painted. I was a little confused about the switchover.

xc62701

I saw the new blazes on my way though the park yesterday. Let's just say it'll be impossible to get lost there now... ;)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions