Wildcat: Crowd Sourced Trail Maintenance

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I think one of the real cool things about mountain bikers is the willingness to stop and do trail maintenance while on a ride. A couple of riders stopping to lift some downfall out of the way, or fixing a puzzle of rocks on an armored section shows that we all contribute in our own way. So as an experiment, here is a thread which we can post places along the trail that need improvements that could be done while on a ride. You can also feel free to post recommendations for larger improvements for trails in Wildcat Ridge WMA.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Beach Glen Trail - Switchbacks

I'll get the ball rolling with an example.

I noticed that the switchbacks on the Beach Glen Trail are experiencing a lot of widening. Between the turns, folks are not riding the bench cut, but rather going into the brush, and also cutting one of the turns. I would suggest a few good sized rocks to keep everyone on the honest line and maintain the "single track" quality feel it had last year. Obviously, we don't take rocks from other trail work, so may need to hunt around for them. Watch out for snakes.

GSS

I'll try to get to this one by the weekend but if you want to beat me to it feel free. The beginning section of Yellow trail after the turn in after the dam after the short gravel section that goes up and over is very overgrown and needs to be trimmed. A hand held prunning shear will do the job. Any odjections??

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
give it a shot, if too much I can go out with the power tools. ...and thank you

BAIN

If anyone needs tools = weedwhacker, saw, blower etc... I am not riding right now due to being on a month dose of antibiotics for Lyme disease, but I could help with any maintenance.

Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Great thread Norm! Many of us do this on our rides, but sometimes run out of time or don't have the proper tools at that moment. There's strength (and progress) in numbers, so here's my first Crowd-Sourced suggestion:

Next time anyone rides Deer Park, bring along some pruning shears and take a stab at the nettles/brambles growing into the trail. They are most problematic on:

Mansion Trail
White Trail (headed north to I-80)
Red Trail (around lake)
Cutover Trail (links end of the white where it crosses upper park access road to middle of yellow)

If each of us spent 5 minutes clearing what we can before continuing with our ride, we'd have clear sailing within a weekend.

John Baumann

The few times I've brought someone new there we have wound up doing something or other.
But, this one is way too much and will def need a chainsaw or re-route:
On white trail(making left from hawk watch) bottom of descent at stream crossing-major tree fall.
Had to seriously bushwhack my way around it to get to the challenging climb on the other side.
Will be glad to help out.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
so from hawk watch towards bat cave...I was not aware of that...thanks.

the other direction on four birds ( white), towards splitrock is clear and has a new bridge across the stream.

GSS

John - are u refering to the tree down on the left hand turn off of the motorcycle gas tank trail? Thats a hike with a chainsaw. Norm's handsaws would conquer the branches. Let me know if you want help with it.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
I've been through the chainsaw training and got permission from the land manager, so I can take care of it....not sure when...

GSS

Sending a thank you to whoever did the bypass on the Wildcat Ridge Trail. Really like the way you handled the water flow with the fun logover. Also thanks to whoever recleared Righter Mine.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
your welcome on both........we tried to trim the Wildcat Ridge Trail last week, but they were stringing the new power lines and so we could not work under them...

GSS

All clear under the power lines, Split Rock Rd to Upper Hibernia Rd is looking real good.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
The few times I've brought someone new there we have wound up doing something or other.
But, this one is way too much and will def need a chainsaw or re-route:
On white trail(making left from hawk watch) bottom of descent at stream crossing-major tree fall.
Had to seriously bushwhack my way around it to get to the challenging climb on the other side.
Will be glad to help out.

We cleared the downfall on the Four Birds last night.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
I'll be out there today, all day, starting this morning at the bat cave. 973 yadada 879 blabla 0820.

trailhead

JORBA.ORG
Wildcat Ridge Trail (yellow) from dam under the power lines has been trimmed. ...easier said then done....now.....should the switchback into the valley be completed or do you prefer the straight eroded hillside?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions