Wiper Blades

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Don't know how much they go for on your particular make/model but I buy 8 at a time on rockauto. 2 dollars each, replace them every 6 months. I also use rainx bug fluid in summer, and their orange one in the winter. That along with a bottle of iso alc and microfiber keeps my windshield very clear and greatly increases visibility. I drive 20k+ miles in the dark per year in any and all conditions. This is what I found works best for me.

Some people also seem to have good luck with silicone blades and some minor maintenance on them. Could be a longer term option.

I was obsessed with this about 15 years ago. You want to get a decent quality Silicone wiper blade, and ideally, couple this with some sort of "RainX" glass treatment. If the treatment is applied directly to the glass, thoroughly clean it with ammonia and a razor scraper. The Silicone is important for longevity/flexibility/performance. High quality silicone will also augment the glass treatment.

THE best glass treatment I have ever found is Nanofilm Clarity Defender, but sadly I believe it is gone from the market. I think I have two tubes left.

I have 10yo set of SilBlade wipers on our 2003 VW. The blades work fine but the articulated frames are rusting. Our other vehicles I think I have RainX brand silicone blades, except my Honda I get Honda-branded blade-only refills that slide into the stock wiper assembly. These appear to be rubber, but work exceptionally well and only cost $6.

Last edited:
You guys change your wiper blades every year?

In Pa, we go to independent service stations for inspection. I have a 100% hit rate with them failing me on wipers. I even put a set on the week before one of my inspections and they still tried to snag me for their marked up wiper blades. That was an unpleasant conversation.

That being said, Rain-x treatment and inexpensive silicone blades

I bought a pair of those...3 years ago? Didn't do a good job wiping, and didn't last 3 months (because they did a crap job, not because they were damaged). I DID clean the windshield spotless, but I did NOT apply any water-beading compound.

YMMV, but I've stuck with Bosch Icon (before and after that), and been real happy. Replace once/twice a year at the season change.

I bought a pair of those...3 years ago? Didn't do a good job wiping, and didn't last 3 months (because they did a crap job, not because they were damaged). I DID clean the windshield spotless, but I did NOT apply any water-beading compound.

YMMV, but I've stuck with Bosch Icon (before and after that), and been real happy. Replace once/twice a year at the season change.
Not having to replace for several years, is why I posted quality Silicone.

This guy has some of the best product reviews on Youtube:

Project Farm absolutely rules. Super creative testing and unbiased.

That guy is great. I've seen him review anything from wall anchors to motor oil to hammer drills. That channel is a great rabbit hole to go down...

A little miffed Zojirushi didn't make it into the travel mug showdown. Would've crushed.

you replace your blades every year??????

i get 2ish years out of the bosch icons i have been buying(i replace them when the wipe quality goes down or starts streaking), tried the rainx brand and they lasted less than a year, i usually change em for the spring since winter seems to destroy them around here. I also go heavy on the rainx window treatment, i usually just use the 2in1 glass cleaner with the treatment. windshield gets cleaned weekly when im commuting to work all the time, but then im doing 30k miles/year so it adds up freaking fast.

Last edited:
Been using Trico -neo form for years now .....replace every fall and don't worry about it till next year ...they work great

Back
Top Bottom