Wiper Blades

Karate Monkey

Not having to replace for several years, is why I posted quality Silicone.

It was mainly the ability to wipe the windshield that made me toss them. A brand new piece of wet cardboard could do a decent job, so I ditched them. Maybe it was the armature? :shrug:

you replace your blades every year??????

i get 2ish years out of the bosch icons i have been buying(i replace them when the wipe quality goes down or starts streaking), tried the rainx brand and they lasted less than a year, i usually change em for the spring since winter seems to destroy them around here. I also go heavy on the rainx window treatment, i usually just use the 2in1 glass cleaner with the treatment. windshield gets cleaned weekly when im commuting to work all the time, but then im doing 30k miles/year so it adds up freaking fast.

I don't count fervently. I'll get one rear blade/3-4 sets of fronts, and the last rear I did was a little over 2 years ago. Didn't drive as much the last couple of years.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
It was mainly the ability to wipe the windshield that made me toss them. A brand new piece of wet cardboard could do a decent job, so I ditched them. Maybe it was the armature? :shrug:

I don't count fervently. I'll get one rear blade/3-4 sets of fronts, and the last rear I did was a little over 2 years ago. Didn't drive as much the last couple of years.
Bosch Ikons here too. I don't recall ever changing a rear wiper blade, but most of my vehicles are replaced by 7 or 8 years.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
well i went with $19 duralast autozone generic beam -
i'll clean and lubricate them and rainx the new windshield.
Think i was going on 4 years with the oem wipers.
guess i'm a fair weather driver? 12k/yr.

impressed with all the bosch people. maybe for the other car - i think it is going on 5 years with the oem - 10k/yr

Pagliacci

Bosch Icon as well.
Put them on my suv just in time for two weeks of miserable weather. I was so impressed that I bought a set for my wife's car and my pick-up even though I had put duralasts on both cars about a month earlier. Big improvement, totally worth the money.

EJphotos

Sometimes manufacturers put a plastic sheath on the blade to protect it while it's in packaging. Make sure to double check the sheath is off because sometimes they go unnoticed...and obviously won't wipe well. Years ago a brand started doing this quietly (I think Anco?) and they had a huge return rate because customers didn't know about the protective sheath and they never informed the stores that sold them.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I buy wiper blades when Costco has the Michelins on sale. Because Costco. Excluding any bad ice storms. I get two years use out of them.

serviceguy

I haven't been replacing wiper blades on the Jeep since we bought it, 3 years ago. They needed replacing, badly. I was going to buy Bosch Icons but they were missing the right size at the local Autozone, went with Rain-X which are about the same extortion price. I had Rain-x before, not sure what the expectations are form a wipe blade but they did their job and are not too ugly (I don't like the ones with the metal frame, I prefer the one piece plastic design. For what is worth...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The blades my focus came with from the factory were the best I had ever seen, lasted 7 years... Every thing since has been garbage

w_b

The OEM blades on my F150 were the absolute worst garbage ever. Fellapart before 1 year. Thanks Ford!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The blades my focus came with from the factory were the best I had ever seen, lasted 7 years... Every thing since has been garbage
Does Ford do inserts?

Honda supposedly does just the insert in the blade on their cars and are really cheap at the dealership. 1/10 the material and 1/5 the packaging so cheaper makes sense.

I learned this after I replaced the OEM wipers of course with aftermarket junk.

one piece crank

Does Ford do inserts?

Honda supposedly does just the insert in the blade on their cars and are really cheap at the dealership. 1/10 the material and 1/5 the packaging so cheaper makes sense.

I learned this after I replaced the OEM wipers of course with aftermarket junk.
Yes, ~$24 and I walk out of the dealer with two sets!

EJphotos

I did the OEM Honda insert once on my Accord, the first time I had to change the blades, and wasn't too thrilled with the quality. They were just ok.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
My wipers are doing such a good job, that when intermittent odd called for, the windshield is bone dry on the upswipe, and makes a horrible dry rubber noise on the way back.

Time for another rainx treatment?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My wipers are doing such a good job, that when intermittent odd called for, the windshield is bone dry on the upswipe, and makes a horrible dry rubber noise on the way back.

fire 🔥 & new truck!

in all honesty just spend the money on new wiper blades you cheapskate

one piece crank

90% of my use is variable intermittent, adjusted to avoid the dry screen. Silicone blade material will minimize that horrible rubber noise.

Still using Honda inserts (on the Honda) and silicone on everything else. Discovered some RainX wipers are no silicone too.

NOTE: I was stuck in the future for 7 minutes and had to wait to post this :rolleyes: Then Parick's message said it was posted 37 minuted ago o_O

Top Bottom