Wtf?!?!

TFTRL

I say WTF because it seems like a much under used trail system on this site. I just came back from my first time riding at Parvin's. It is VERY smooth overall with some sections of mud and water (which was great fun!)

Overall the trails are pretty flat with nice amount of width. My friend took me through most all the trails that we could get through. If you want to really blast full speed for long stretches with nice winding sections I highly recommend you go to Parvin's. For my single speed rigid bike it was superb for me to just roll at a nice fast clip. :cool:

It's also a nice atmosphere in those woods too. Still and maybe a bit eerie in some places but I like eerie lol We spent a little over an hour but I wanted to ride it for at least another hour. Well, it's only 15 mins away from me so until next time I give it a big thumbs up for speed trail riding and/or just a nice day out.

MikeP

My buddy lives 2 blocks from Parvin, we ride there during the winter instead riding the road. Also a beautiful area for road riding.

TFTRL

My buddy lives 2 blocks from Parvin, we ride there during the winter instead riding the road. Also a beautiful area for road riding.

Yeah I even mentioned to my friend how those road sections would be a blast to hammer on a road bike. I really enjoyed my short time there today. It's all new right now so it's all gonna be cool though.

dkocnj

Is the Red Trail through the swamp rideable. I was out there last spring and it was barely a trail until you got to the bridge in the back.

TFTRL

Is the Red Trail through the swamp rideable. I was out there last spring and it was barely a trail until you got to the bridge in the back.

I'm not sure it's the same area your talking about but we came to one area in the back named something like Muddy Run (I'm sure that's wrong name of the section but...), where it suddenly turned into water enough to sink the wheel up past the rim at the wheels bottom. We rode it a little ways but decided not to get too far in and get completely wet and muddy.

For the most part every section was more than rideable but it was my first time there.

Don't know if that helps at all.

Rocks & Water

Parvin

I live about 10 min away and it is not that bad of a ride. It does need some looking after. Most of the good trail are in the low parts and does hold water and things float around a bit. A lot of the wood on the nature trail gets move and people walking are always moving and draging the wood planks around to use to not to get there feet wet or muddy. It's a pain some times but it is a ride.

TFTRL

I live about 10 min away and it is not that bad of a ride. It does need some looking after. Most of the good trail are in the low parts and does hold water and things float around a bit. A lot of the wood on the nature trail gets move and people walking are always moving and draging the wood planks around to use to not to get there feet wet or muddy. It's a pain some times but it is a ride.

Speaking of it being a pain. From my ride the other day I got a bad case of chiggers. :cry:

Got my ChiggerX from pharamacy am about to put shower and put it on.

I also just got back from my second ride there with my daughter. Well, I was going not too fast but fast enough coming around a bend when all of a sudden there was a Dad and his two kids. I didn't have time to think so I instictively grabbed the brakes and the front brake sent me over the handle bar. Amazingly I landed perfectly with a sort of roll on my left shoulder. Not even a scratch. My daughter got a good laugh once she realized I wasn't hurt. :wedgie:

Thing is that they were not going in the right directon of the arrows, I didn't realize it either till later. No harm no foul.

All's well that ends well.

Speaking of ends...well...I got chiggers on that too. Gotta go! :eek:

Xnats

lol at least your daughter will have something to remind you of, the next few decades ;) It's one of the things, us dads have to endure after the cute years :cool:
About them chiggers :mad::getsome: I'm 6/6 with them. I swear I'm being attacked as I sit and type this - 6/7 :hmmm:

TFTRL

lol at least your daughter will have something to remind you of, the next few decades ;) It's one of the things, us dads have to endure after the cute years :cool:
About them chiggers :mad::getsome: I'm 6/6 with them. I swear I'm being attacked as I sit and type this - 6/7 :hmmm:

I hear ya. She will have a smile and a good memory of her old man going airborne. :D I also forgot to say that those others coming the wrong way were on their bikes too. It was either I did what I did or I would have had a head on collision with the one guy.

Lesson #2: My Tektro brakes work amazingly well in dry conditions! ;)

Sorry bout your chigger itch I feel you my man! I was able to sleep after putting on the ChiggerX cream but I woke up with one small itch on my foot...then suddenly I'm scratching everywhere again. I put more cream on and it's subsided. Ask your pharmacist for it. It should be behind the counter and it only cost me $2.99 at Walgreen's. Smells like Ben Gay though but better than itching eh? lol

Last edited:

Xnats

I'm old schooled on the chiggers - calamine lotion everywhere when it starts to itch - overnight the lumps will form - scratch off the heads - clean with hydrogen peroxide, then ammonia - dose area with more calamine. If a bump swells up again - scratch head off, more ammonia then more calamine.
I never get the bad itching but my legs look not so good. This method should have them scabbed in 3-4 days. Then again a shower afterwards to wash the deet off, works the best :rolleyes:

Good luck on getting your brakes, not to work so good :D

TFTRL

I'm old schooled on the chiggers - calamine lotion everywhere when it starts to itch - overnight the lumps will form - scratch off the heads - clean with hydrogen peroxide, then ammonia - dose area with more calamine. If a bump swells up again - scratch head off, more ammonia then more calamine.
I never get the bad itching but my legs look not so good. This method should have them scabbed in 3-4 days. Then again a shower afterwards to wash the deet off, works the best :rolleyes:

Good luck on getting your brakes, not to work so good :D

LOL! Well all that sounds like too much work for me. Besides, when scratching it feels wonderful! Who needs sex when your scratching chigger itch?

Daddio66

Hi Folks, 1st post here as I am new. I was at Parvin on 4-5-17 and 4-11-17. Awesome place to ride trails and pavement. I would recommend it during the week, early mornings. During the weekends the trails are pretty busy with hikers and joggers. Also parking at boat ramp area will need permits soon. Plenty of parking in other areas.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/Parvin3a.pdf
I did the Lake loop, marked in green (3.1 miles). Nicely maintained. The paved Forest road loop, marked in blue (4.1 miles) and the Long trail marked in red (2.1 miles).
All trails are in good shape. Looking forward to getting back there soon.

Top Bottom