Colonoscopy, how long after...

Due to some stomach issues and a big H flare up the last few weeks I went back to the GI doc last Friday who also happens to be my GP as well.

General exam down there was fine he actually said he didn’t see any major hemmoroid issues but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. The good news is I don’t have any significant symptoms of anything.

Turns out it’s been 14 years since my last colonoscopy where they removed some benign polyps. He said the general guideline is every 7 years but we need to get it scheduled. I’m not sure if it’s because of insurance but he told me I have to get it done within 30 days so expecting a call this coming week to get it lined up.

Small part of me is nervous as I’m not sure I could handle bad news of any kind but avoiding it and not getting treatment would be 10x worse.

To be continued. …

P.s. for anyone who has a flare up since we are sharing so openly here this stuff is like a miracle even if it’s expensive for a small tube.
The name brand was $35 so this was cheaper. Same ingredients.
IMG_6341.png

Due to some stomach issues and a big H flare up the last few weeks I went back to the GI doc last Friday who also happens to be my GP as well.

General exam down there was fine he actually said he didn’t see any major hemmoroid issues but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any. The good news is I don’t have any significant symptoms of anything.

Turns out it’s been 14 years since my last colonoscopy where they removed some benign polyps. He said the general guideline is every 7 years but we need to get it scheduled. I’m not sure if it’s because of insurance but he told me I have to get it done within 30 days so expecting a call this coming week to get it lined up.

Small part of me is nervous as I’m not sure I could handle bad news of any kind but avoiding it and not getting treatment would be 10x worse.

To be continued. …

P.s. for anyone who has a flare up since we are sharing so openly here this stuff is like a miracle even if it’s expensive for a small tube.
The name brand was $35 so this was cheaper. Same ingredients.
View attachment 237211
Dude, if they found polyps it’s every 3 years, otherwise it’s every 5. I would find a new GI guy.

No it’s mostly on me for not going back when I was supposed to back and I didn’t due to complacency and life things going on.

Excuses galore but getting back on track with my health beyond just cycling is one of my goals this year.
Prostate and colon cancer are the most preventable through screening, stay on top of those and its 2 less ways to go that you need to worry about.

Thanks for this thread. It’s been a while since I read all of the pages, but well worth it.

My first is scheduled for next Friday, 5/10. I previously had colon broom done and it was negative.

Thankful or not I’ve had some bad stomach issues in the past so expect the medicine to be the same result.

These are my best friend, haven't had an issue in over a year since I've started using them.
View attachment 237958
Found these when availability of the P.H. version was non-existent a few years ago. Priced right and bigger sheet size.

OK its prep time. I am fasting day today for 8AM appointment tomorrow, have to be there for 7AM. I put this off way too long so I am a little nervous about what they might find, but again I have not had any suspect symptoms since my last one. I would have done this earlier this year but my oldest son was recovering from shoulder surgery during March/April so had to wait.

Doc prescribed me the liquid prep thats one dose this evening at 6PM, and then I have to wake up at 2AM to take the final dose of 16 oz of the liquid mix. I am already dreading the taste and the hours I will spend on the toilet but its a small price to pay in the end (pun intended).

debating to ride or exercise today which will only make me more hungry than I already am. I usually eat small meals throughout the day so I dont want to go into more of a food/calorie deficit than needed and start to feel wonky.

OK its prep time. I am fasting day today for 8AM appointment tomorrow, have to be there for 7AM. I put this off way too long so I am a little nervous about what they might find, but again I have not had any suspect symptoms since my last one. I would have done this earlier this year but my oldest son was recovering from shoulder surgery during March/April so had to wait.

Doc prescribed me the liquid prep thats one dose this evening at 6PM, and then I have to wake up at 2AM to take the final dose of 16 oz of the liquid mix. I am already dreading the taste and the hours I will spend on the toilet but its a small price to pay in the end (pun intended).

debating to ride or exercise today which will only make me more hungry than I already am. I usually eat small meals throughout the day so I dont want to go into more of a food/calorie deficit than needed and start to feel wonky.
Haha, I'm one day behind you.
Everyone's prep seems different.
Surgery weds.
My prep:
Sun and today: no vegis, fruits or salads. ( I cheated a bit yesterday and had some corn chips, onions and mushrooms)
Tonight: stool softener.
Tues: no solid food, just sorbe, geliten etc.
From 4 pm to midnight: drink a mixture of gateraide and miralax every hour.

Good luck.

Haha, I'm one day behind you.
Everyone's prep seems different.
Surgery weds.
My prep:
Sun and today: no vegis, fruits or salads. ( I cheated a bit yesterday and had some corn chips, onions and mushrooms)
Tonight: stool softener.
Tues: no solid food, just sorbe, geliten etc.
From 4 pm to midnight: drink a mixture of gateraide and miralax every hour.

Good luck.
Yeah I like your prep better lol.

I can have broth or clear gelatin today so I’m pretending right now this bowl has pasta and chicken in it LOL.

but I don’t want to cheat and risk having him tell me he can’t finish the procedure because I ate something I wasn’t supposed to.

Good luck with yours too hoping we all get the clean bill of health.

IMG_6758.jpeg

All done.

Arrived at 7am for registration and got all
Prepped for 8am start.

Probably my fav part of the prep was when the nurse took my vitals and asked me if I was feeling ok. I said well I guess you’re asking because my HR is probably about 45 and she said yes 42 right now. Once I explained how much and how many years I’ve been cycling she said ohh ok that’s good you have a strong healthy heart.

I recall bits and pieces from the procedure last time but what I didn’t remember is how the team swarms you once they wheel you down to the procedure room. Last thing I remember was “anesthesia going in” and next thing I was in the recovery room. Started waking up and it was 8:25 that was the best 25 minute nap I ever had probably.

Doc came in around 8:45 said everything went well. He did remove 5 small polyps but he didn’t think they looked abnormal anything to worry about. That’s the only part I am
A little nervous about but have to wait for lab results. That determines when I need to go back but probably within 3-5 years is my guess.

Was home by 9:15 just been chilling out while the rest of the wonky-ness wears off. Had the best toasted bagel and eggs at home ever I was starving.

The version of the prep I had to do was absolutely horrible each dose had me “running” for 3+ hours. I didn’t sleep
Much at all from 6pm- 2am and didn’t sleep at all after the 2am dose until we had to leave at 6:30am.

All that being said, for anyone who has not scheduled this yet just do it already. It’s required maintenance after 45+ and it’s just some temporary unpleasant 24-48 hours compared to the alternative.

Time for a nap. Sorry no pics or videos to share.

Back
Top Bottom