House Addition

Cole

I was posting updates in the "Things that make you smile" thread, but figured I'd post updates here instead..

Here is the plan.

1697977149972.png

1697977214918.png

Following, I love these projects. I almost start one 10 years ago to add a carriage house with bedrooms above. Town didn't like that it would be connected to the house as it was within 15 feet of the property line. It was expensive back then, about 400k, can't imagine what it would cost in today's dollars.

What type of foundation is in the current house? Also interesting to see such a large addition, did you consider a partial knock down and essentially build a new house but counts as addition when taxes get reassessed? Seems that's what most people around me are doing.

Following, I love these projects. I almost start one 10 years ago to add a carriage house with bedrooms above. Town didn't like that it would be connected to the house as it was within 15 feet of the property line. It was expensive back then, about 400k, can't imagine what it would cost in today's dollars.

What type of foundation is in the current house? Also interesting to see such a large addition, did you consider a partial knock down and essentially build a new house but counts as addition when taxes get reassessed? Seems that's what most people around me are doing.
I think it started as a hunting cabin. It's got at least three additions on it. At one point the groundskeeper for the salvation army camp that's behind me live there I'm assuming that's when they started add on. There's one room that has a full basement with block walls. It's small roughly 12x20. It's where the furnace in the cave crickets live. The rest of the house is on a dirt crawl space with block. There's one room in the back that we converted into a mudroom / laundry room with a half bath. That's not getting touched. It didn't seem to make much sense to knock much more down.

Interior framing started on the old house. Forms are in. Inspector needs some more information from the architect since they are changing how the old and new foundations tie together. I'm sure it wont be our first failed inspection, but hope it's not the first of many

Attachments

• 20231024_182420.jpg
    20231024_182420.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20231024_182248.jpg
    20231024_182248.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20231024_161835.jpg
    20231024_161835.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 20231024_181952.jpg
    20231024_181952.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 20231024_181948.jpg
    20231024_181948.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 114
Interior framing started on the old house. Forms are in. Inspector needs some more information from the architect since they are changing how the old and new foundations tie together. I'm sure it wont be our first failed inspection, but hope it's not the first of many
1 thing that failed inspection during our reno, the architect did not include a perimeter foundation drain around the entire exterior of the house. We have new and old foundations tied together. The main part of the house has a cellar, everything else is crawl space or slab. All of the original crawl space that was brick, was replaced with footers and cinder block.

For my happiness, can you insert as a full image? Lazy to click each pic.

Will your existing basement connect to the old? Guess that's why the town concerns?

For my happiness, can you insert as a full image? Lazy to click each pic.

Will your existing basement connect to the old? Guess that's why the town concerns?
Yeah, sorry I was too lazy to pull out the laptop and posted from my phone.

It will connect but you can't access one from the other they just need to tie it together.

Back
Top Bottom