ALL E-bike-riders will need to Register and get Insurance

A bit more detail:

I’m a bit e-literate. How do the exempt stats below stack up to what most people in the electric bike thread are riding?

Low Speed Electric Bicycles:
  • 20 mph max speed
  • 750 watts or less
  • May be parked on sidewalks without blocking pedestrian traffic
  • No license, insurance, or registration required
  • Must follow all laws applicable to bicycles
  • Helmet use is required for those under age 17
  • May be pedal assist or throttle powered

I’m a bit e-literate. How do the exempt stats below stack up to what most people in the electric bike thread are riding?

Low Speed Electric Bicycles:
  • 20 mph max speed
  • 750 watts or less
  • May be parked on sidewalks without blocking pedestrian traffic
  • No license, insurance, or registration required
  • Must follow all laws applicable to bicycles
  • Helmet use is required for those under age 17
  • May be pedal assist or throttle powered

Added this to OP. Looks like it includes Low Speed..

Classic NJ nonsense.
NJ: "We now require insurance on your E-bike"
Insurance industry: "we don't offer that"
NJ: .....we now require you to find insurance for your E-bike"

This is so incredibly dumb. For actually electric mopeds (like bikes that can go 30-35+) maybe there's an argument but this will just hinder adoption of lower class ebikes for regular people.

does anyone know if any other states currently require e-bike registration and insurance? or any that are in a similar "planning" mode?

EDIT: i see CA has a "driver's license" but is that the same thing?

This must really be intended for riding electric powered bikes on the road, mixed in with traffic. This really won't have any effect on E-MTB's in the woods. E-MTB's are toys, they are not meant for the road or used in traffic so it really does not apply. But this law is complete bullshit. Someone really needs to educate the law makers about the differences in electric bikes and Emopeds/motorcycles that go above 20mph or have throttles.

They're trying whatever they can to curb the Class2 user group. Which I'm all for. There's a few of these dudes in my neighborhood on what's essentially a motorcycle riding in the bike lane and it's terrifying.

They're trying whatever they can to curb the Class2 user group. Which I'm all for. There's a few of these dudes in my neighborhood on what's essentially a motorcycle riding in the bike lane and it's terrifying.
In reality, they are just the same thing. Just one uses gas, one doesn't.

Maybe existing laws should be enforced first. I saw someone today on a plated Vespa cruising through New Brunswick on the sidewalks. Almost got clipped as he crossed the street in the crosswalk against the light.

^this x eleventy-billion. The last thing New Jersey, of all places, needs is MORE laws, but...New Jersey.

Maybe existing laws should be enforced first. I saw someone today on a plated Vespa cruising through New Brunswick on the sidewalks. Almost got clipped as he crossed the street in the crosswalk against the light.

giphy.gif

It's the same user group. The image the industry is trying to sell us of the friendly environmental savior E-Bike Commuter is complete horseshit.

This may not be a popular viewpoint on an enthusiast site, but I'm going to respectfully disagree. As a landscape architect in the site/civil/planning/transportation industry, working with a focus on resiliency and sustainability, my perspective is that literally ANYTHING you can do to get people out of cars is a net positive. And e-bikes are a far easier sell to those with physical limitations, etc. who will not likely be choosing a human-only powered bike over a car trip.

I do agree that class III is a different animal and should be treated as such, but I don't think the tribalism of e-bikes vs traditional is productive overall in policy approach. Similar to pitting pine barrens land users against one another regarding access. United we stand, divided we fall.
(edited to address class III)

Last edited:
This may not be a popular viewpoint on an enthusiast site, but I'm going to respectfully disagree. As a landscape architect in the site/civil/planning/transportation industry, working with a focus on resiliency and sustainability, my perspective is that literally ANYTHING you can do to get people out of cars is a net positive. And e-bikes are a far easier sell to those with physical limitations, etc. who will not likely be choosing a human-only powered bike over a car trip.

I do agree that class III is a different animal and should be treated as such, but I don't think the tribalism of e-bikes vs traditional is productive overall in policy approach. Similar to pitting pine barrens land users against one another regarding access. United we stand, divided we fall.
(edited to address class III)
I actually agree with this take. I'm an enthusiast and I own multiple analog bikes, but I recognize that commuter/cargo e-bikes serve a different purpose. It's the only thing I've seen get suburbanites out of their cars in my town.

Back
Top Bottom