Ask an automobile mechanic.

Not sure if this warrants a new thread, but for you dealership shop guys/advisors. I will be purchasing a new car (Ridgeline) in February. I have been researching VSCs on the open market, as opposed to paying the markup in the F&I office. Are there any that you would recommend/advise against? Olive/Repair Ventures is highly rated by the BBB. I am addicted to watching Yourautoadvocate You Tube videos, and they broker AUL, but reviews are not as great.

Well, looks like another ghetto repair of an exhaust system is in order but I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. On our recent trip to FL just before we got to the our place the tail pipe just behind the actual muffler rusted off. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the age and amount of miles on the vehicle. Since it was after the muffler the exhaust sound is still muffled but now the tail pipe is dragging on the ground. When I was able to park and settle in I noticed that I can use a wired hanger to hold it up. I managed so score a hanger and lifted it off the ground but now it is rattling up against where it broke off from. I was able to reposition the pip where it is no longer touching or aligned with the muffler and it's fine so far with driving around FL and the 1000 mile drive back. I've had to do the same with my truck a while back so I'm kinda looking forward to the project.

Well, looks like another ghetto repair of an exhaust system is in order but I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. On our recent trip to FL just before we got to the our place the tail pipe just behind the actual muffler rusted off. I guess I shouldn't be surprised given the age and amount of miles on the vehicle. Since it was after the muffler the exhaust sound is still muffled but now the tail pipe is dragging on the ground. When I was able to park and settle in I noticed that I can use a wired hanger to hold it up. I managed so score a hanger and lifted it off the ground but now it is rattling up against where it broke off from. I was able to reposition the pip where it is no longer touching or aligned with the muffler and it's fine so far with driving around FL and the 1000 mile drive back. I've had to do the same with my truck a while back so I'm kinda looking forward to the project.
Exhaust work is something I've learned to take to a shop. It's usually miserable work with thin rusted parts and crap falling in your face. Exhaust shops usually don't charge that much either.

Exhaust work is something I've learned to take to a shop. It's usually miserable work with thin rusted parts and crap falling in your face. Exhaust shops usually don't charge that much either.
I'm sure you're right. What I meant was I'm going to try to fix it myself, not necessary just patch a hole or put a sleeve over the broken section. The part that needs to be replaced is right at the point where the tail pipe is bolted to the rear of the muffler. So I plan to order the tail pipe (resonator) which comes with all the hardware (2 bolts, springs, and a gasket). The tricky part is removing the old flange. I'll have to douse it with WD40 or Liquid Wrench to remove it. If I can't remove it then I'll bring all the parts to a muffler shop and just pay for the labor.

Fire!

05yWdQf.gif

other than CO recirculating back into the car, shouldn't be a problem....

if you cant figure out how to replace a key fob battery on your own you probably shouldnt be doing much of anything for yourself.
You should try it for a 2008 Land Rover. Dealer wanted over $300. I had to order the parts from China to rebuild one as they make them so you shouldn't be able to work on it yourself. $30 in parts and some soldering and all is good.

you had to solder the battery? for real? my wifes jag (2020) key fob (same company as LR) is a simple key twist to open the case and the battery slides out, 2 min, if you struggle to open the new battery.

also what kind of battery did they use that you spend $30?

you had to solder the battery? for real? my wifes jag (2020) key fob (same company as LR) is a simple key twist to open the case and the battery slides out, 2 min, if you struggle to open the new battery.

also what kind of battery did they use that you spend $30?
They make the fob so that it must be destroyed to open it. Ordered an empty one from China. The battery looks like a 2032, but it's rechargeable and has to be soldered to the circuit board. Not sure what people did before Youtube how to videos.

They make the fob so that it must be destroyed to open it. Ordered an empty one from China. The battery looks like a 2032, but it's rechargeable and has to be soldered to the circuit board. Not sure what people did before Youtube how to videos.

well then, thats a new one (at least to me), rechargeable key fob batteries is a new concept, not a bad idea, but noone would ever remember to charge them for a modern car where they dont need to be put into a key cylinder/slot.

well then, thats a new one (at least to me), rechargeable key fob batteries is a new concept, not a bad idea, but noone would ever remember to charge them for a modern car where they dont need to be put into a key cylinder/slot.
It's really a key and a fob. Inserts into the dash and charges while driving. Until it doesn't.

My wife has been driving her BMW for two years and insists on taking the key out of her pocketbook and putting it in the console while she drives. I have no idea why and I give her shit every time she drives.

I think LR go out of their way to make things more difficult to make you take it to the dealer. Then they charge you an arm and a leg.

My wife has been driving her BMW for two years and insists on taking the key out of her pocketbook and putting it in the console while she drives. I have no idea why and I give her shit every time she drives.

my wife used to do this with her hyundai, the salesman when she bought it told her that the key charged when you did that, he was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom