Bike hacks

The seat collar is holding me up. It doesn't do a good job of preventing the dropper post from sliding down when I ride. I know a few people with this problem. If you torque down too much on the collar, the dropper post gets sticky. The strip of tape prevents the post from sliding down so I don't have to overtighten the seat collar.
Did you have the problem before having the wolftooth collar?

The seat collar is holding me up. It doesn't do a good job of preventing the dropper post from sliding down when I ride. I know a few people with this problem. If you torque down too much on the collar, the dropper post gets sticky. The strip of tape prevents the post from sliding down so I don't have to overtighten the seat collar.
Color me skeptical.

If the thicknesses were right, I thought it may work similar to the dual layer type of seatpost clamp. Where the bottom clamps onto the seat tube, top clamps onto just the seatpost.

1713536832008.png

Did you have the problem before having the wolftooth collar?
Probably not. 🤣

But seriously... does no one else have this problem? My friend has the same issue with his YT and he has the stock collar. *We both weigh over 200 lbs.

Probably not. 🤣

But seriously... does no one else have this problem? My friend has the same issue with his YT and he has the stock collar. *We both weigh over 200 lbs.

Plenty of people have had this problem. Probably more so with non-dropper posts. However I just don't believe that a 4mm piece of tape around the post is going to do anything to support my fat ass. It's just going to slide up as your post slides down. For the the residual stickiness to work like carbon paste, first your post has got to slide down by at least 4mm.

Plenty of people have had this problem. Probably more so with non-dropper posts. However I just don't believe that a 4mm piece of tape around the post is going to do anything to support my fat ass. It's just going to slide up as your post slides down. For the the residual stickiness to work like carbon paste, first your post has got to slide down by at least 4mm.
It does work. Try it.

My wife's seatpost develops a creak constantly. Taking it out, cleaning it and putting it back in helps for awhile but returns after a month. We oddly enough both have the same frame and same dropper. Currently trying fiber paste but I'm pretty sure I've tried it before. Cranking down on the seatpost clamp until I'm really uncomfortable with how tight it is does nothing to stop the creak.

My bike didn't want to feel left out and now my saddle started creaking. :(

Probably not. 🤣

I only ask because i bought a fancy pants Engin one for my pivot and couldnt get it to not slip, went back to the stock collar and no issues.

Now you can go back to the Engin collar
...with my tape hack. 😁
Data point of one: My wife's bike with a Fox Seatpost that never breaks and never creaks has a wolftooth collar. Maybe I need to buy a wolftooth collar for her bike that creaks...

Data point of one: My wife's bike with a Fox Seatpost that never breaks and never creaks has a wolftooth collar. Maybe I need to buy a wolftooth collar for her bike that creaks...
Plus 1. Have a Wolftooth collar (cause purple) and it's never slipped a bit.

Plus 1. Have a Wolftooth collar (cause purple) and it's never slipped a bit.
My Wolf Tooth is smaller than the original Orbea collar. You can see in this photo that it doesn't cover the entire clamping surface on my frame.

JPEG image-66555C2DC72E-1.jpeg

My Wolf Tooth is smaller than the original Orbea collar. You can see in this photo that it doesn't cover the entire clamping surface on my frame.

View attachment 236543
You basically greatly reduced the clamping area...if it doesn't easily slide in place it may be the wrong size collar...

You could just put the old clamp on.
Totally.

But wouldn’t it be easier just to buy a new bike?
Not before setting the old one on fire.

Interesting, I'm running the Purple Wolf Tooth clamp on a carbon frame, One Up dropper a little smear of carbon paste and it hasn't moved at all. 220Lbs riding weight..

Got around to making pvc rack for the new van
Found a simple build on YouTube

You won't find slip Ts in home depot, you'll have to find them on line. I got snap on Ts from Supply House and those are gonna be 1/3 of the cost.
Build was $87 and took less then 30 mins to build. Perfect for truck bed, Van or even in the shop.
PXL_20240426_214942738.jpg
PXL_20240426_215658033.jpg

Got around to making pvc rack for the new van
Found a simple build on YouTube

You won't find slip Ts in home depot, you'll have to find them on line. I got snap on Ts from Supply House and those are gonna be 1/3 of the cost.
Build was $87 and took less then 30 mins to build. Perfect for truck bed, Van or even in the shop.
View attachment 237035View attachment 237036

Bonus tip: Fill the pipes with sand to add weight and stability to the rack.

Back
Top Bottom