Creaky Cranky Cranks

OddTrickStar

Did have Betty the Bucksaw quiet again for a couple of rides before the cranks started creaking again. Actually it’s more like a muted click at the bottom of each crank revolution, both sides. Replaced the BB as that had a bad bearing, found that when the cranks first started creaking. Cleaned, greased, properly pressed and torqued. It was quiet as can be. Now it’s creaky again, just not as loud and a shorter duration. It almost reminds me of the sound a square taper aluminum crank would make right before it’s doomed.

I enjoy maintaining my bikes almost as much as riding them. Although, not really caring to service these cranks nearly daily to avoid having them creak and harsh my riding buzz.

Not sure if I should try over torquing them, replace them with another pair of Race Face cranks ( these are 30mm spindle Turbine ones, not sure if I can even get them anymore) or something else. Open to suggestions, yay for fat bike standards. Love this bike, so 🔥 isn’t really an option.

When the Turbine cranks on my fatbike started giving me creaking/clicking issues, it turned out the spindle had come loose.

Unlike some cranks, the spindle on these isn’t permanently fixed to the crankarm it’s attached with a bolt. After years of use, mine just decided to loosen up on me, seemingly randomly. Tightening it fixed the issue and it’s been good for a year since.

You may already know this but I didnt. Pretty sure I replaced my BB needlessly before a mechanic at Marty’s “reminded” me to check that bolt

Had the same issue with my Bucksaw… drove me nuts…. The funny thing was the creak was in the headset. I found it after 2bb’s and pulling apart all my pivots. Taught me not to assume, sounds can move around inside a bike frame. I did the old put a foot on a peddle and load it, it creaked but what I missed was you are also loading the front wheel and the fork. Just a fyi, hope it helps.

Had the same issue with my Bucksaw… drove me nuts…. The funny thing was the creak was in the headset. I found it after 2bb’s and pulling apart all my pivots. Taught me not to assume, sounds can move around inside a bike frame. I did the old put a foot on a peddle and load it, it creaked but what I missed was you are also loading the front wheel and the fork. Just an fyi, hope it helps.
Did also replace the headset a week before, it was creaking. But yeah, they can fool you. It was loud.
When the Turbine cranks on my fatbike started giving me creaking/clicking issues, it turned out the spindle had come loose.

Unlike some cranks, the spindle on these isn’t permanently fixed to the crankarm it’s attached with a bolt. After years of use, mine just decided to loosen up on me, seemingly randomly. Tightening it fixed the issue and it’s been good for a year since.

You may already know this but I didnt. Pretty sure I replaced my BB needlessly before a mechanic at Marty’s “reminded” me to check that bolt
I had torqued both sides to spec when I replaced the BB (had a bad bearing for sure) but the creak came back within 5 miles.

I over tightened (not much, just snugged it up a bit more) the drive side this morning before my ride, it was quiet for the 25+ mile ride. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Did also replace the headset a week before, it was creaking. But yeah, they can fool you. It was loud.

I had torqued both sides to spec when I replaced the BB (had a bad bearing for sure) but the creak came back within 5 miles.

I over tightened (not much, just snugged it up a bit more) the drive side this morning before my ride, it was quiet for the 25+ mile ride. Gonna keep my fingers crossed.
Are you applying liberal amounts of grease before tightening?

Back
Top Bottom